Wilmington, Del. (January 21, 2019) - The Mount St. Mary's men's and women's tennis was blanked by Delaware on Monday to begin the 2019 spring season. The Mount men's squad was downed 7-0 by the Blue Hens men's team and the Mountaineers women's team was topped 7-0 by the Delaware women's squad.
The Mount men's duo of junior Jean Armstrong and sophomore Evan Hine gave the Mountaineers men's team their only win but it came in the best-of-three doubles series in which Mount St. Mary's needed at least two wins in order to receive a point in the match. The same thing happened on the women's side for the Mount as the junior duo of Alexa Quintanilla and Hannah Davis gave the women their only win.
In doubles competition, Delaware won the doubles point after they took the first two flights. The Blue Hens' duo of James Wilkinson and Luis Molina defeated the Mount duo of Alonso Garcia and Gabriel Santos 6-2 in the number one flight and Delaware's Laurenz Lankes and Nathan Benyowitz topped Mount St. Mary's Parth Sharma and Chris Lindsey 6-3 in the second flight. The Mountaineers team of Armstrong and Hine downed the Blue Hens' duo of Blaise Casselbury and Guilherme Valdoleiros 6-3 in final flight.
Delaware swept all six flights in singles action to run away with the 7-0 overall match victory. Santos from the Mount was able to force a third tie-breaker set in the number four flight but ultimately was edged by Delaware's Benyowitz 3-6, 6-1, 14-12.
The Mountaineers duo of Quintanilla and Davis edged the Blue Hens' duo of Sarah Hall and Caragh Courtney 6-4 in the first flight but Delaware nabbed the number two and three flights in order to win the doubles point. Delaware's Emily Gotkiewics and Sarah Whited blanked the Mountaineers' duo of Megan Smith and Taylor Cook 6-0 in the second flight while in the third flight, Draga Sabotic and Viva Laas from the Blue Hens squad topped Mia Pittman and Emma Blake from Mount St. Mary's 6-2.
In singles action, Delaware swept all six flights just like the men did in order to run away with the 7-0 win. The Mount's Quintanilla forced a third tie-breaker set in the number one flight but she was edged 4-6, 6-2, 6-1 by Viva Laas from Delaware.
The Mount men's tennis team will travel to Navy for matches against Navy and East Carolina on Saturday, January 26 and the Mount women's tennis team returns to action at Howard on Saturday, February 2.
Men: Delaware 7, Mount St. Mary's 0
1. James Wilkinson/Luis Molina (Delaware) def. Alonso Garcia/Gabriel Santos (MSM), 6-2
2. Laurenz Lankes/Nathan Benyowitz (Delaware) def. Parth Sharma/Chris Lindsey (MSM), 6-3
3. Jean Armstrong/Evan Hine (MSM) def. Blaise Casselbury/Guilherme Valdoleiros (Delaware), 6-3
Order of Finish: 2, 1, 3
1. James Wilkinson (Delaware) def. Parth Sharma (MSM), 6-1, 6-2
2. Luis Molina (Delaware) def. Alonso Garcia (MSM), 6-2, 6-2
3. Guilherme Valdoleiros (Delaware) def. Jean Armstrong (MSM), 6-2, 6-2
4. Nathan Benyowitz (Delaware) def. Gabriel Santos (MSM), 3-6, 6-1, 14-12
5. Laurenz Lankes (Delaware) def. Chris Lindsey (MSM), 6-2, 6-2
6. Blaise Casselbury (Delaware) def. Evan Hine (MSM), 6-2, 6-3
Order of Finish: 1, 2, 3, 5, 6, 4
Women: Delaware 7, Mount St. Mary's 0
1. Alexa Quintinilla/Hannah Davis (MSM) def. Sarah Hall/Caragh Courtney (Delaware), 6-4
2. Emily Gotkiewicz/Sarah Whited (Delaware) def. Megan Smith/Taylor Cook (MSM), 6-0
3. Draga Sabotic/Viva Laas (Delaware) def. Mia Pittman/Emma Blake (MSM), 6-2
Order of Finish: 2, 1, 3
1. Viva Laas (Delaware) def. Alexa Quintinilla (MSM), 4-6, 6-2, 6-1
2. Caragh Courtney (Delaware) def. Hannah Davis (MSM), 7-5, 6-0
3. Sarah Hall (Delaware) def. Megan Smith (MSM), 6-2, 7-6 (3)
4. Sarah Whited (Delaware) def. Taylor Cook (MSM), 6-1, 6-3
5. Emily Gotkiewicz (Delaware) def. Mia Pittman (MSM), 6-3, 6-1
6. Draga Sabotic (Delaware) def. Emma Blake (MSM), 6-0, 6-0
Order of Finish: 2, 3, 1, 4, 5, 6