Posted: Apr 20, 2018
West Windsor, NJ (April 20, 2018) - Sophomores Hannah Davis and Alexa Quintanilla helped the Mount St. Mary's women's tennis team upset the third-seeded St. Francis Pa. in NEC Quarterfinal action on Friday afternoon. Davis and Quintanilla each recorded singles flight victories in the number one and two flights and the Mount duo picked up the first doubles win as well. This marks the first time since 2008 that the Mountaineer women have made it to the NEC Semifinals.
The Mount took the early one point advantage from doubles play by winning the number one and three flights. Davis/Quintanilla edged Gutierrez/Tamarkin 7-6 in the first flight and Megan Gamble/Emma Blake topped Dunleavy/Miller in the third flight.
Mount St. Mary's won the first, second, and fifth flights of singles play to take the overall match victory by one point. Quintanilla defeated Seigford 6-2, 6-4 in the first flight, Davis topped Gutierrez in three sets 6-2, 3-6, 6-2 in the second flight, and freshman, Megan Smith edged Miller 1-6, 6-4, 6-4 in the fifth flight to clinch the match for the Mountaineers. The Mount moves to 5-16 on the year with a mark of 3-3 in NEC play.
The Mountaineer women take on the second-seeded Bryant Bulldogs tomorrow, April 21 at 12:30 PM.
Saturday, April 21
#1 LIU Brooklyn vs #5 Fairleigh Dickinson, 12:30 PM
#2 Bryant vs #6 Mount St. Mary's, 12:30 PM
Mount St. Mary's 4, Saint Francis U 3
1. QUINTANILLA, Alexa/DAVIS, Hannah (MSM) def. GUTIERREZ, Laura/TAMARKIN, Nastasia (STF) 7-6 (9-7)
2. BODE, Raksha/SEIGFORD, Lucia (STF) def. KAMPRATH, Sruthi/SMITH, Megan (MSM) 6-1
3. GAMBLE, Megan/BLAKE, Emma (MSM) def. DUNLEAVY, Kathryn/MILLER, Stephanie (STF) 6-4
1. QUINTANILLA, Alexa (MSM) def. SEIGFORD, Lucia (STF) 6-2, 6-4
2. DAVIS, Hannah (MSM) def. GUTIERREZ, Laura (STF) 6-2, 3-6, 6-2
3. BODE, Raksha (STF) def. KAMPRATH, Sruthi (MSM) 6-1, 6-4
4. TAMARKIN, Nastasia (STF) def. GAMBLE, Megan (MSM) 6-4, 6-1
5. SMITH, Megan (MSM) def. MILLER, Stephanie (STF) 1-6, 6-4, 6-4
6. DUNLEAVY, Kathryn (STF) def. BLAKE, Emma (MSM) 6-0, 7-5