Posted: Apr 09, 2018
Emmitsburg, Md. (April 8, 2018) - The Mount St. Mary's men's and women's tennis teams downed Harford Community College on Sunday afternoon in exhibition action. The men blanked HCC 7-0 and the women topped HCC 6-1. Since this was an exhibition match, none of the statistics count toward the season totals.
For the women, the Mount swept doubles competition to earn the one point advantage heading into singles play. Alexa Quintanilla/Hannah Davis topped Rey/Tillinghast 6-2 in the first flight, freshmen pair, Megan Smith/Mia Pittman defeated Samra/Bove 6-1 in the second flight, and in the number three flight Emma Blake/Sam Barbato edged Yeager/Hathazi 6-4.
The Mountaineers secured the match win by taking all of the singles flights except the number two flight. Quintanilla topped Rey 6-1, 6-3 in the first flight to start singles for the Mount and Barbato finished in the sixth flight by defeating Fonzi 6-1, 6-0. Freshmen, Smith and Gamble picked up wins in the number three and four flights and junior, Blake also recorded a victory in the fifth flight. Mount St. Mary's remains 3-13 on the season while HCC remains 3-4.
For the men, the Mountaineers blanked Harford Community College in both doubles and singles competition. Brandon Wortkotter and Jackson Wood got doubles started in the number one flight by topping Brett and La Gloan 6-4 and Jean Armstrong and Gabriel Santos secured the one point advantage from doubles play for the Mount by defeating Diaz and Zanin 6-2 in the second flight.
Wood picked up the first singles flight win in the number one spot for the Mountaineers after defeating Brett 6-1, 6-4 and Evan Hine blanked Brocanelli 6-2, 6-0 in the sixth flight to end things for the Mount. Parth Sharma, Armstrong, Santos, and Chris Lindsey each recorded a singles flight win in the number two though five flights to help secure the overall match victory. The Mount St. Mary's men remain 6-10 on the year and Harford Community College remains at 6-3.
The women travel to Fairleigh Dickinson Thursday, April 12 for a mid-week match at 12:00 PM. The men travel to Wagner Wednesday, April 11 for a match at 2:00 PM and will follow that match with a match at Fairleigh Dickinson on Thursday, April 12 at 3:30 PM.
WOMEN'S: Mount St. Mary's 6, Harford Community College 1
1. Alexa Quintanilla (MSM) def. Rey (HCC) 6-1, 6-3
2. Tillinghast (HCC) def. Sruthi Kamprath (MSM) 7-5, 6-1
3. Megan Gamble (MSM) def. Sofia Samra (HCC) 6-2, 6-0
4. Megan Smith (MSM) def. Bove (HCC) 6-3, 6-1
5. Emma Blake (MSM) def. Lyons (HCC) 6-0, 6-0
6. Sam Barbato (MSM) def. Kayli Fonzi (HCC) 6-1, 6-0
MEN'S: Mount St. Mary's 7, Harford Community College 0
1. Brandon Wortkotter/Jackson Wood (MSM) def. Brett/La Gloan (HCC) 6-4
2. Jean Armstrong/Gabriel Santos (MSM) def. Diaz/Luigi Zanin (HCC) 6-2
3. Parth Sharma/Evan Hine (MSM) def. Brocanelli/Naranjo (HCC) 6-2
1. Jackson Wood (MSM) def. Brett (HCC) 6-1, 6-4
2. Parth Sharma (MSM) def. La Gloan (HCC) 6-1, 5-7, 10-4
3. Jean Armstrong (MSM) def. Diaz (HCC) 6-0, 6-2
4. Gabriel Santos (MSM) def. Luigi Zanin (HCC) 6-4, 6-0
5. Chris Lindsey (MSM) def. Naranjo (HCC) 7-5, 6-3
6. Evan Hine (MSM) def. Brocanelli (HCC) 6-2, 6-0