Mount Women's Soccer Plays to 1-1 Draw with Fairleigh Dickinson in NEC Opener

Mount Women's Soccer Plays to 1-1 Draw with Fairleigh Dickinson in NEC Opener

 Emmitsburg, Md. (September 23, 2018) -- Mount St. Mary's women's soccer played to a 1-1 draw with Fairleigh Dickinson on Sunday afternoon in the Northeast Conference (NEC) opener at Waldron Family Stadium. Kayla Hughes tallied the goal for the Mountaineers off a free kick in the 49th minute for her team-leading fourth goal of the season.

Fairleigh Dickinson (2-6-3, 0-0-1 NEC) jumped out to a 1-0 lead midway through the first half on Sofia Albertsson's second goal of the year. Albertsson received a pass in the attacking end and made a move past a Mount defender. The midfielder fired a shot from around 30 yards out that beat an outstretched Maggie Barron into the bottom right corner, giving the Knights a 1-0 advantage.

The Mount (1-6-2, 0-0-1 NEC) still trailed 1-0 coming out the halftime break, but stepped up the offensive pressure early in the second frame, as they fired off five shots in the opening 10 minutes of the period.

The Mount found the equalizing goal just over three minutes into the half on Hughes' free kick. The senior was able to tuck a shot just inside the near post from a very tough angle in the corner to knot things up at 1-1.

Just minutes later, Gianna Pomykacz forced an FDU turnover and headed in on a breakaway. Pomykacz' last touch was just a bit strong, as goalie Amanda Fitzgerald was able to dive and break it up to keep the Mountaineers off the board.

The Mount and FDU registered eight shots apiece in the second half, but neither team was able to find the go-ahead goal in the remainder of the frame, as they headed into overtime.

After a scoreless first overtime period, the Knights had a golden chance to score the game-winner. Jackson Bennett sent a long ball over the Mount defense, and Elma Kolenovic ran onto it and went in on a breakaway. Kolenovic attempted to make a move past Barron, but the net minder dove and got her hands on it to break things up and divert the opportunity.

FDU outshot the Mount by a 6-1 margin in the pair of overtime periods, but couldn't find the game-winner as the game ended in a 1-1 draw.

Barron made six saves in net for the Mount, while Fitzgerald stopped five shots in goal for the Knights. 

The Mount next heads to LIU Brooklyn for a match on Friday, September 28 at 3 p.m.