Jackie Corley Scores Twice, but the Mount Falls to FDU, 3-2

Jackie Corley Scores Twice, but the Mount Falls to FDU, 3-2

TEANECK, N.J. (October 4, 2013) – Goals in both halves by senior Jackie Corley paced the Mount St. Mary's offense, but a comeback attempt fell one goal short in a 3-2 loss to Fairleigh Dickinson on the road on Friday night in the Northeast Conference opener.

Corley tallied strikes in the 27th and 68th minutes, but FDU (5-5-1, 1-0 NEC) managed one goal in the first half and two in the final 45 minutes of play to trip up the Mount (2-6-2, 0-1 NEC). For Corley, it was her fourth and fifth goals of the season.

The Knights got on the board in the 18th minute when Amanda Goulet found Connie Lewis, who slotted a shot past a diving Rachel Bourne to the bottom right-hand side from eight yards out.

Three minutes later, Lewis nearly scored her second goal of the night, but her shot rang off the crossbar and was cleared by a Mount defender.

In the 26th minute, Bourne was called upon to make a sprawling save on Carly Tice's breakaway to keep the score at 1-0.  Bourne made three first-half saves.

The Mount's first goal came 26:21 into the game on a two-on-one opportunity with Ragan Cote and Corley. Cote dribbled at the defense and when FDU goalkeeper Sage DoVale came out to challenge, Cote played a perfect pass in stride to Corley, who fired a shot that found the back of the net to level the score at 1-1.

Emma Blair took a shot from 25 yards out, but DoVale was there to make the save with seven minutes to play before halftime, as the two sides went into the half tied at 1-1.

Just 10 minutes into the second half, Kasey Schiavoni lined up a free kick from 25 yards out and launched a shot out of the reach of Mount goalkeeper Vicky Cocozza into the top right corner of the net for a 2-1 FDU lead.

The Knights' advantage grew to 3-1 in the 65th minute on a goal from Esther Rochon.

Three minutes later, the Mountaineers continued to fight and broke through to cut their deficit to 3-2. Keriann McGettigan played a bouncing ball from the midfield over the defense to Corley, who shot high past DoVale, who came out of the goal in an attempt to make the save.

Down the stretch, the Mount's last opportunity came on a corner kick by Kate Murphy, but the cross was not finished as FDU was able to hold on for the win.

The Mount was outshot, 22-8, on the night. Cocozza made five second-half saves for the Mount.

The Mount returns to action on Friday, Oct. 11, to face Wagner at Waldron Family Stadium. The first whistle is set for 7 p.m.