Emmitsburg, Md. (September 7, 2019) – The Mount St. Mary's women's rugby team used a strong second half to overcome American International, 19-17. Jenna Lewaren, Taylor Mensah, and Jalana Garcia each had a try for the Mountaineers. Maya Grassi was successful on two out of three conversion kicks in the win for the Mountaineers.
Mount St. Mary's 19, American International 17
Echo Field | Emmitsburg, Md.
Mount St. Mary's 1-0 (1-0 NIRA), American International 0-1 (0-1 NIRA)
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Mount got off to quick start with a try by Jenna Lewaren just one minute into the game to give the Mountaineers a 5-0 lead.
- American International picked up their play late in the first half with two successful tries by Aohili Latu and Suley Guerrero. Cassidy Pothier converted on her second conversion kick to give the Yellow Jackets a 12-5 lead at halftime.
- Ten minutes into the second half, the Yellow Jackets struck again with another try by Suley Guerrero to increase the lead to 17-5.
- Midway through the second half, the Mountaineers began their comeback with a try by Taylor Mensah and a conversion kick by Maya Grassi to cut the Yellow Jackets lead to just five, 17-12. Jalana Garcia followed Mensah will a try of her own to tie the match up at 17. Maya Grassi converted her second kick of the game to take a 19-17 lead for the Mount.
- With under five minutes to go, the Mountaineers won a key scrum deep in their own territory. Maya Grassi was able to punt the ball into open space to give Lavona Aromin time to run after it and recover the ball. This late defensive stand helped the Mountaineers secure the victory over the preseason NIRA Tier 2 favorite American International.
The Mount will return to action September 14 at Echo Field against Ursinius College at 11 AM.