Emmitsburg, Md. (September 15, 2018) - The Mount St. Mary's women's rugby team topped Molloy College 69-0 in a 10 v. 10 exhibition match on Saturday afternoon. Molloy was forced to forfeit the match because they did not have enough players to play a full 15's match but the two teams played a three period exhibition match. The Mount's Ubaida Ahmed led the team with two tries and one conversion kick for 12 points in the win. The Mountaineers had 10 players score a try for the second straight match. In the Mountaineer's first two matches of the season, the team has combined for 145 points and have held their opponents scoreless.
Mount St. Mary's 69, Molloy College 0
Echo Field | Emmitsburg, Md.
Mount St. Mary's 2-0 (2-0 NIRA), Molloy College 1-2 (1-2 NIRA)
HOW IT HAPPENED
- After a kick to advance the ball down the pitch, Jordan Butcher crossed the touch line for the first try of the match to put the Mount ahead 5-0.
- Two straight breakaway runs from the Mountaineer's Ubaida Ahmed pushed the Mount lead to 19, 19-0. Maya Grassi converted both kicks after the try.
- Molloy almost recorded their first points of the match but Ubaida Ahmed picked up a try saving tackle in the open pitch.
- Mount St. Mary's scored three tries in the second period (Nataly Cisneros, Rio Greenshields, Samantha Mathis) and followed them all with successful conversion kicks off the foot of Molly Stocker that made it 38-0.
- The Mountaineers finished strong with five tries and three conversion kicks in the third period to close out the match and preserved the 69-0 victory. Hannah Orland, Molly Jackson, Julie Crochet, Lavona Rae Aromin, and Lauren Judkins each scored tries while Ubaida Ahmed, and Molly Stocker picked up successful conversion kicks.
The Mount takes on number seven Notre Dame College of Ohio at 12:00 PM at Echo Field in Emmitsburg, Md.