Carly Miller’s Last-Minute Goal Lifts Mount St. Mary’s to 9-8 Victory Over UMBC

Carly Miller’s Last-Minute Goal Lifts Mount St. Mary’s to 9-8 Victory Over UMBC

Baltimore, Md. (February 21, 2019) – UMBC scored a pair of late goals to tie things up with Mount St. Mary's at 8-8, but Carly Miller responded with her second goal of the game with just 39 seconds remaining to lift the Mountaineers to a 9-8 victory on Thursday in Baltimore.

The Retrievers trailed by an 8-6 margin heading under the four-minute mark before scores by Payton Van Kirk and Grayson Corbett in a span of under two minutes tied the game at 8-8 with 1:52 on the clock. Emily Davis won a crucial draw control for the Mountaineers following the game-tying tally. The Mount worked some time off the clock, and Miller found an opportunity to capitalize with 39 seconds left as she tallied an unassisted goal to put the Mount on top. Following Miller's goal, Jordan Groover won the ensuing draw and Mount St. Mary's was able to close out the 9-8 victory.

The win was just the second all-time for the Mount against UMBC. The team's only other victory in the series came back in 2004. With the win, the Mount improved to 2-0 on the year while UMBC dropped to 2-1.

Eight different Mountaineers tallied a point in the contest, led by a pair of goals apiece from Miller and Jordan Butler, and two assists by Davis. Five other players scored a goal apiece, including Jordan Groover, who also added a game-high four draw controls and three ground balls.

For UMBC, Lily Kennedy and Lauren McDonald notched two goals apiece, while Kelsey Weishaar tallied two assists.

Jillian Petito made five saves in goal for the Mount to pick up the win. Her counterpart, Carly Tolino, stopped 11 shots for UMBC.

The Retrievers opened with the first two goals of the contest, coming from Kennedy and Zoe Perkins, as they took a 2-0 advantage just under seven minutes in.

Beanie Colson netted the Mount's first goal of the game at the 22:10 mark, but UMBC countered just under three minutes later with a tally from McDonald to make it a 3-1 game.

The Mountaineers answered with a free-position goal by Groover and a score from Taylor Carhart off a feed from Davis to even things up at 3-3 with 13:44 left in the opening half. Miller's free-position tally with 9:31 on the clock gave the Mount its first lead of the game, 4-3.

Kennedy and McDonald each netted their second goals of the contest in the final eight minutes of the half to give the Retrievers a 5-4 lead heading into the break.

After a goal from Van Kirk to begin the second half, the Mountaineers reeled off four straight to take an 8-6 lead. Butler got things started at the 16:46 mark, and added another to tie the game at the midway point of the half. Kate Kinsella put the Mount in front with 13:26 on the clock, and Zoe Hurlburt extended the lead to 8-6 with her goal with 7:40 on the clock.

The Retrievers were able to tie it up at 8-8 late in the contest, but Miller's clutch goal with 39 seconds left proved to be the game winner.

The Mount held a 22-21 shot advantage in the game and won 13 of 19 draw controls. The Mountaineers converted on 3-of-7 free position shots, while holding UMBC to a 1-of-5 mark.

The Mount heads to Army this coming Saturday, February 23. Opening draw will be at 1 p.m.