Mount Women’s Lacrosse Playoff Hopes Dashed in Loss at Central Connecticut

Mount Women’s Lacrosse Playoff Hopes Dashed in Loss at Central Connecticut

New Britain, Conn. (April 30, 2017) – Mount St. Mary's University was edged at Central Connecticut, 8-7, in the regular season finale on Sunday afternoon at Arute Field. With the loss, the Mountaineers were eliminated from playoff contention as they close out the season at 4-11 overall and 3-4 in conference play.

The Mount trailed by a pair in the final minute of play and nearly came back to tie the contest. With the Blue Devils holding an 8-6 advantage, the Mount earned a free-position attempt with 20 seconds showing on the clock. Jannel Daufenbach made a pass down low to Kate Kinsella, who finished it off to bring the Mount within a score, 8-7.

Mount St. Mary's won the ensuing draw control and pushed the ball ahead to Sammie Knapp, who made a move towards net. With just a few ticks remaining, Knapp fired a shot towards goal but was called for a dangerous shot, awarding possession to the Blue Devils, who ran out the remaining two seconds to hold on for the 8-7 victory.

Kelly Maloney led the Mount in the tilt with three goals, while Knapp added two scores and one assist, and Kinsella netted a pair. Jillian Petito made 13 saves in the contest but took the loss.

Marissa Soto paced CCSU with four tallies, and Megan Szawlowski chipped in two goals and a pair of assists. Jackie Branthover, who made several key stops late in the tilt, finished with 13 saves to record the win.

Central Connecticut registered the opening two scores of the game as Szawlowski and Soto both found the back of the net in the first 11-plus minutes of play to stake the Blue Devils out to a 2-0 advantage.

Knapp got the Mount on the board at the 17:04 mark, and Maloney followed with the game's next goal with 7:15 left in the half to even the contest at 2-2.

The teams traded a goal apiece in the final five and a half minutes as they headed into the halftime break knotted at 3-all.

Knapp's second goal of the game at the 22:54 mark of the second half put the Mount out in front, 5-4. Emily Davis was credited with her second assist of the tilt on the play.

A key stretch from the Blue Devils midway through the period saw them score three unanswered goals, including a pair from Soto, to take a 7-5 lead with 17:55 showing on the clock.

The Mount put an end to the stretch just over a minute later as Knapp found Maloney for the score, bringing the Mountaineers within just one, 7-6.

Both defenses tightened up over the next 12 minutes as neither team was able to find the back of the net until the 4:40 mark when Szawlowski converted a free-position attempt to put CCSU back up by two, 8-6.

Kinsella's goal with 18 seconds remaining trimmed the deficit to just one score, but the Mount wasn't able to convert the game-tying goal in the final seconds as CCSU held on for the 8-7 win.

CCSU outshot the Mount by a 27-23 margin in the contest, but the Mount held advantages in both draw controls (11-5) and ground balls (18-17).