Mount St. Mary's Edged by Saint Joseph's, 12-11

Mount St. Mary's Edged by Saint Joseph's, 12-11

Emmitsburg, Md. (March 19, 2017)--Mount St. Mary's rallied from a five-goal second-half deficit to tie the game, but Saint Joseph's scored the game-winner with just over seven minutes remaining to defeat the Mount, 12-11.  Sammy Knapp and Jannel Daufenbach combined to score seven goals to pace the Mountaineers in the game.

Trailing 10-5 with 17:29 remaining, the Mount (0-5) scored six of the next seven goals to even the score at 11-11 with 7:53 on the clock.  Knapp started the comeback with a free position goal, and then assisted on a Kelly Maloney tally that cut the deficit to 10-7 with 13:45 remaining.

After Nora McCallion notched her third goal of the game to give Saint Joseph's (3-4) an 11-7 advantage, the Mount rattled off four consecutive goals to tie the score.  Daufenbach's third goal of the contest opened the scoring run.  Knapp added her third goal with 9:22 remaining to cut the Saint Joseph's lead to 11-9, and Carly Miller's free position goal with 8:49 remaining made it a one-goal game.

Knapp's fourth goal of the game with 7:53 left tied the score at 11-11.  The Hawks regained the lead when Aly Gormley scored in transition with 7:01 left.

The Mount's Marley Heller and Miller each had shot attempts saved over the final seven minutes.  The Mount got the ball back after Saint Joseph's hit the post on a shot attempt with just under a minute remaining, but a turnover gave the Hawks the ball back, and Saint Joseph's was able to run out the clock.

Knapp finished the game with four goals and an assist while Daufenbach added a hat trick.  Heller chipped in a goal and two assists while Miller had a goal and an assist in the game.  Mount goalkeeper Jillian Petito made 15 saves, including 12 in the opening half.

McCallion led Saint Joseph's with three goals and two assists with Julia Pash adding two goals and an assist.  Goalkeeper Amelia Deibler made nine saves, including six in the second half.

Saint Joseph's held a 33-to-24 edge in shots while the Mount won the ground ball battle (19-16) and draw controls (14-11).

The Mountaineers held three one-goal advantages in the opening half, including a 3-2 lead after a Taylor Carhart goal with 22:26 left in the half.  Saint Joseph's scored three consecutive goals, two by Pash, to take a 5-3 lead.  After Knapp's first goal of the game made it 5-4, Sarah Smith scored for the Hawks for a 6-4 lead at the half.

Mount St. Mary's is back in action on Saturday, March 25, with a 12:00 p.m. home game against Radford.