Late Comeback Falls Short for Mount Women’s Lacrosse in Loss at Furman

Late Comeback Falls Short for Mount Women’s Lacrosse in Loss at Furman

Greenville, S.C. (March 11, 2017) – Mount St. Mary's University nearly erased a four-goal deficit late in the second half, but the comeback attempt fell just short as the Mount was edged at Furman, 12-10, in non-conference women's lacrosse action on Saturday.

Sammie Knapp tallied her third straight three-goal performance, finishing the contest with five points on three goals and a pair of assists. Kelly Maloney also added a hat trick, and Emily Davis chipped in with two goals.

Abby Shields of Furman led all scorers with six points (3g, 3a), while Devon Horine and Meg Lingo posted multi-goal games with two apiece.

Jillian Petito made 10 saves in goal for the Mount, while her counterpart, Maggie Friel, had to make just three stops to collect the win for Furman.

The Mount and Furman traded goals to open the contest before the Paladins tallied three straight to take a 4-1 advantage just under 10 minutes into the tilt.

The Mountaineers answered with three consecutive of their own, including a pair from Maloney, to tie things back up at 4-4 at the 7:30 mark.

The Paladins registered the final two goals of the half as Shields and Horine found the back of the net to make it 6-4 Furman at the break.

Two straight Furman goals in the early stages of the second half extended the team's advantage to 8-4, but the Mount responded with tallies from Knapp and Marley Heller on free-position attempts to cut the Mount's deficit back to a pair, 8-6, at the 26:04 mark.

The Mountaineers were held scoreless over the next 14 minutes as the Paladins padded their lead to 10-6 over the stretch, before Davis broke the drought to bring the Mount back within three.

After a Furman goal just over a minute later, Davis notched another tally for the Mount before Maloney and Carly Miller posted back-to-back goals on ensuing possessions to trim the Furman lead to just one, 11-10, with 7:12 remaining in the tilt.

Isabelle Walsh made it 12-10 Paladins just over a minute later, but the Mount answered once again on Kate Kinsella's free-position goal with 4:47 remaining to cut the deficit to one.

The Mountaineers weren't able to complete the comeback as they were held scoreless in the final four-plus minutes while Furman added an insurance goal at the 2:00 mark to go on for the 13-11 win.

Mount St. Mary's heads to Binghamton for a tilt on March 15 at 3 p.m.