Mountaineers’ Big Comeback Effort Falls Short in Loss at Wagner

Mountaineers’ Big Comeback Effort Falls Short in Loss at Wagner

Staten Island, N.Y. (January 19, 2018) – Mount St. Mary's, which trailed by as many as 33 points in the second half at Wagner, cut the deficit to just eight in the final quarter, but the big comeback effort fell short as Wagner withstood the Mountaineers and posted a 92-76 victory.

Wagner held a 33-point advantage at the 4:54 mark of the third before the Mountaineers put together a big run to get back into the game. Juliette Lawless and Rebecca Lee started things as the duo combined for the team's first 10 points of the run.

With the Mount still trailing by 22 heading under the minute mark, Daly Sullivan drained a three-pointer with 28 ticks on the clock, and Michaela Harrison nailed a triple from just inside half court as time expired, cutting the Mount deficit to 69-53 heading into the final frame. The triple from Harrison capped off a 21-4 Mount St. Mary's run in the final 4:09 of the third.

The Mountaineers continued to chip away at the lead early in the fourth, and eventually brought the deficit back to 10 with 3:56 on the clock after a three-pointer from Michaela Harrison followed by a pair of free throws by Alexis Wooden. Taylah Simmons made 1-of-2 on the other end for Wagner, but Harrison drained another from long range at the 2:58 mark to bring the Mountaineers within single-digits, 78-70.

Just over a minute later, the Seahawks began a string of six straight that would essentially put the game away. A layup from Simmons and jumper from Emilija Krista Grava padded the lead to 15, and Nakylia Carter capped it with a pair of free throws that pushed the advantage to 88-71 with 1:28 left. Wagner was able to close things out from there, coming away with a 92-76 win to improve to 5-11 overall and 3-2 in the NEC. The loss dropped the Mount to 7-9 on the year and 1-4 in conference play.

Jatarrikah Settle recorded her second career double-double with 15 points and 10 rebounds to go along with seven assists and three steals. Harrison registered four three-pointers en route to a team-high 16 points. Rebecca Lee added 13 points and five boards, Lawless notched 12 points, and Alexis Wooden finished with a career-high 11 points.

For Wagner, Simmons notched a game-high 28 points and Alayshia Dailey registered a double-double with 10 points and 11 assists.

The Mount shot 41.4 percent from the field, while Wagner posted a 51.6 percent clip. In a game that featured 54 personal fouls, the Mount edged Wagner in the free throw battle with a 73.1 percent (19-26) mark, compared to a 71.9 percent (23-32) clip from the Seahawks.

Wagner jumped out to an early 11-3 lead behind a strong defensive effort and hot shooting. The Mount cut the deficit to 13-7 at the midway mark of the frame, but Wagner closed out the quarter with the final 12 points, including six from Simmons, to take a 25-7 advantage at the end of one.

Simmons registered 14 points in the opening quarter, going a perfect 5-of-5 from the field and 4-for-4 from the line. The Seahawks held the Mountaineers to just 3-of-14 (.214) shooting and forced nine turnovers in the stanza.

Wagner tallied the first six points of the second to make it an 18-0 run spanning the first and second quarters, extending its advantage to 31-7 in the process. Settle finally put an end to the Wagner rally with a traditional three-point play at the 6:09 mark. The Mountaineers followed with six of the game's next eight points to bring the deficit under the 20-point mark, but the Seahawks answered with an 11-7 run to finish out the half, and took a 44-23 lead into the halftime break.

Wagner shot an efficient 62.1 percent from the field in the opening half, while holding the Mount to 33.3 percent shooting overall and a 1-of-11 (.091) clip from deep.  

Wagner didn't lose their stroke following the break as they began the second half on a 14-2 run in the opening 2:23 of play to increase the lead to 58-25. Simmons and Khaleah Edwards notched six points apiece for Wagner during the early surge.

The Seahawks eventually built the lead to 33 before the big Mountaineer comeback got them back within striking distance. The Mount got as close as eight in the final period, but Wagner was able to withstand it and pull out the victory.

Mount St. Mary's continues the road swing on Monday (Jan. 21) at Fairleigh Dickinson. Opening tip from the Rothman Center is set for 4:30 p.m.