Harrison’s 30-Point Performance Powers Mount St. Mary’s Past Towson

Harrison’s 30-Point Performance Powers Mount St. Mary’s Past Towson

Emmitsburg, Md. (November 24, 2018) – Freshman Michaela Harrison scored a career-high 30 points to help power Mount St. Mary's past Towson, 87-78, on Saturday afternoon at Knott Arena. The rookie knocked down seven three-pointers in the contest, as she finished just one shy of tying the program record for most threes in a game.

Harrison went 10-of-19 from the floor and posted a 7-of-11 mark from three-point territory en route to her career-high 30 points. The rookie guard also registered six assists and six rebounds in the tilt. Harrison notched 15 of her 30 points in the opening quarter, draining five three-pointers in the period. The 30-point outing from Harrison was the first by a Mountaineer since Ashlee White's 36 points against Rider last December.

Daly Sullivan helped pace the Mount with 15 points in the contest, as the sophomore went 3-of-5 from long range. Rebecca Lee added six points, 10 rebounds and a career-high five blocks. Lee has now led the team in rebounding in all five games on the season.

The Mount (2-3) shot 45.2-percent from the floor and went 14-of-24 (.583) from deep, which were both season-best marks. The team finished one three-pointer shy of tying the record for most in a game, which was set in 2014 against Bryant. The 87 points for the Mountaineers were the most since January of last year, when they scored 88 in an overtime loss at Saint Francis U.

Towson (3-2) registered a 37.5-percent shooting mark in the contest and went 7-of-23 (.304) from three-point range. The Tigers turned the ball over 25 times in the tilt, but did hold a 45-35 edge on the boards. Kionna Jeter drained seven three-pointers of her own to lead Towson with 27 points, while Ryan Holder added 19 points and six rebounds.

Mount St. Mary's, which led for the entirety of the contest, got out to a quick 8-0 lead behind a game-opening three from Harrison, followed by five straight from Sullivan. After a 9-3 Towson run cut the gap to just two at the midway mark quarter, Harrison netted a trio of three-pointers in the ensuing three minutes of play to lead an 11-2 Mount St. Mary's run, which pushed the advantage to 22-11. The Tigers trimmed their deficit back to two with just over a minute on the clock, but Harrison's fifth three-pointer to close out the period gave the Mount a 25-20 lead heading into the second.

The game remained within single-digits throughout the entire second quarter, and the Tigers cut it back to a one-possession game following a basket from Holder at the 2:26 mark. The Mount was able to hold onto its lead, and increased the advantage up to 46-37 heading into the halftime break.

After outscoring Towson by a 19-15 margin in the third period, the Mountaineers took a 13-point lead, 65-52, into the final quarter of play. Seven straight points from the Mount at the midway mark of the fourth gave the team its largest lead off the game, 77-57. Lee started the run with a layup, before Jatarrikah Settle scored five straight on a pair of free throws and a three-pointer, as the Mountaineers opened their advantage to 20.

With 3:58 remaining in the contest and trailing by 20 points, Towson fought back with the next 12 points in a stretch of just over two minutes to all of a sudden cut the Mount lead to 77-69 with 2:02 on the clock. Aislinn Flynn scored six of the Tigers' points, and Towson forced three Mount turnovers during the stretch to get back into the game.

Harrison's seventh three of the contest with 1:35 remaining put an end to the Towson run and stretched the Mount lead back to double-digits, 80-69. Towson wasn't done however, scoring nine of the game's next 11 points to pull within just five, 83-78, with 42 seconds on the clock.

Harrison was fouled by Danielle Durjan on the next possession and calmly sank both free throws to make it a seven-point game. Lee came up with a big block, her fifth of the game, on a Jalynn Holmes jumper attempt on the other end.. Harrison came down with the rebound and dished out to Sullivan, who was fouled by Flynn. Sullivan made both foul shots with 20 seconds left to ice the game, as the Mount closed out the 87-78 victory.

Mount St. Mary's heads to Loyola for its next tilt on December 1 at 4 p.m.