Mountaineers’ Fourth-Quarter Comeback Falls Just Short in Loss at LIU Brooklyn

Mountaineers’ Fourth-Quarter Comeback Falls Just Short in Loss at LIU Brooklyn

Emmitsburg, Md. (January 15, 2018) – A late fourth-quarter comeback attempt from Mount St. Mary's fell just short in a 53-48 loss at LIU Brooklyn on Monday afternoon. The Mountaineers, who trailed by as many as 13 in the fourth, whittled the deficit down to just two points in the final minutes, but LIU was ultimately able to escape with the victory.

The Blackbirds held a 44-31 advantage entering the fourth frame, and maintained their double-digit lead throughout the early parts of the quarter. With just under eight minutes remaining, Caroline Hummell knocked down a pair of free throws to begin what would become a 14-3 Mountaineer run.

Five straight points on a three-pointer from Kayla Agentowicz and two foul shots from Katrice Dickson cut the Mount's deficit to single-digits with 5:11 showing on the clock. The Mount defense held LIU off the board in the next four-plus minutes, and Hummell and Agentowicz drained three-pointers during the stretch to bring Mount St. Mary's within just two points, 49-47, with 1:53 remaining in the tilt.

After both teams came up empty on their next possessions, Drew Winter converted in the lane with 52 seconds left to push the LIU lead to 51-47. Dickson was fouled on the other end and made 1-of-2 for the Mount to make it a one possession game at 51-48.

Next time down the court, DeAngelique Waith made a move to the basket and finished off the glass to pad the Blackbird advantage to 53-48 with just 18 ticks on the clock. Dickson attempted to pull the Mount closer on the other end, but her jumper was off the mark and Waithe came down with the rebound before getting fouled by Daly Sullivan. The Blackbirds weren't in the bonus after the foul, and were able to dribble out the remaining seconds on the ensuing inbounds to escape with the 53-48 victory.

With the win, LIU improved to 7-9 overall and 3-2 in NEC play, while the Mount dropped to 6-11 on the year and 3-3 in conference.

Lawless paced the Mount with a team-high 13 points while just missing out on a double-double for the second consecutive game, finishing with nine rebounds in the contest. Hummell added nine points and four rebounds, while Dickson and Agentowicz chipped in with eight points each.

Waithe netted a game-high 17 points and 10 rebounds to collect the double-double for LIU, as the senior forward went 8-for-12 from the field.

Both teams struggled on the offensive end, with LIU shooting 36.5 percent from the floor and 25 percent from downtown, and the Mount posting a 32.6 percent mark from the field and shooting 30 percent from three-point range.

LIU grabbed a two-point advantage at the end of the first quarter, and tallied five straight to open the second to extend the lead to 20-13 at the 8:58 mark. The Mount cut the lead back to just two following a three-pointer from Sullivan and a layup from Lawless, but the Blackbirds closed the half with seven of the final nine points to push the advantage to seven, 27-20, heading into the break. Seneca Richards keyed the late LIU run with six points on back-to-back threes from the corner.

Waithe led all scorers with 11 points in the opening half on 5-of-6 shooting, while also pulling down five rebounds. The Blackbirds shot 37 percent from the floor in the half, compared to a 30.8 percent mark from the Mountaineers.

Mount St. Mary's is set for another road game on January 20, taking on Saint Francis U at 2 p.m.