Mount Women’s Basketball Falls at St. Francis Brooklyn, 82-73

Mount Women’s Basketball Falls at St. Francis Brooklyn, 82-73

Brooklyn, N.Y. (January 13, 2018) – Alex Delaney and Jade Johnson combined for 51 points to lead St. Francis Brooklyn to an 82-73 victory over visiting Mount St. Mary's on Saturday afternoon in Northeast Conference action. Juliette Lawless matched her career-high with 18 points to lead the Mount in the contest.

Lawless went 6-of-8 from the field for her 18 points, while also adding a career-high nine assists and six steals to go along with five rebounds. The junior scored in double-figures for the ninth time in the last 11 games, and finished just one assist shy of her first career double-double. Daly Sullivan (16 pts.), Katrice Dickson (13) and Kayla Agentowicz (11) also finished with double-figures for the Mount.

Delaney paced the Terriers with a career-best 30 points on 11-of-16 shooting from the field and a 5-for-9 mark from long range. Johnson chipped in with 21 points and a team-high eight rebounds.

Mount St. Mary's (6-10, 3-2 NEC) shot 38.7 percent as a team, but did find success from three-point range, going 9-of-20 for a 45.0 percent mark. St. Francis Brooklyn (5-10, 1-3 NEC) posted a 52.8 percent mark from the field and shot 42.9 percent (9-21) from beyond the arc.

Neither team led by more than five points in the opening quarter of play, and the game remained tight throughout much of second period. St. Francis Brooklyn held a five-point advantage with under two minutes left in the half before rattling off eight of the final 10 points to close it out. Johnson and Delaney knocked down back-to-back three-pointers in the last minute to make it a 13 point Terrier advantage, but Lawless converted the half's final bucket in the waning seconds to cut the Mount's deficit to 46-35 heading into the break.

St. Francis knocked down 54.8 percent of its shots in the first half, including a 7-for-13 mark from beyond the arc. Delaney drained four three-pointers as she scored 20 points in the half, while Johnson added 13. Lawless and Sullivan paced the Mount with eight points apiece.

Trailing 46-35 at the start of the third, the Mount went on 14-6 run over the opening five minutes to trim the Terrier lead to just three, 52-49, at the midway mark of the period. Dickson and Lawless fueled the run with a combined 11 points during the rally.

Just over two minutes later, St. Francis built the lead back to nine, but the Mount answered once again as Sullivan knocked down a pair of three-pointers for the final six points of the frame, pulling the Mount back within one possession at 58-55 heading into the fourth quarter.

An early deep ball from Birkhead in the fourth trimmed the Terrier lead to 60-58, as the Mount got the closest it had been since the second quarter. St. Francis responded with 13-4 run to regain momentum and push its advantage to 73-62 with just 4:30 remaining in the contest.

The Terriers held the Mount at arm's-length over the ensuing three-plus minutes before five straight Mountaineer points on a pair of free throws and another three-pointer from Birkhead brought the Mount to within four, 77-73, with 39 seconds on the clock. The Terriers were able to hold the Mount off the board from that point, and hit their free throws down the stretch to earn the 82-73 win.

The Mountaineers remain in New York for a matchup at LIU Brooklyn on Monday (Jan. 15) at 2 p.m.