Sullivan’s Career-High 23 Points Fuel Mount St. Mary’s to Comeback Win at Maryland Eastern Shore

Sullivan’s Career-High 23 Points Fuel Mount St. Mary’s to Comeback Win at Maryland Eastern Shore

Princess Anne, Md. (December 19, 2017) – Rookie Daly Sullivan dropped a career-high 23 points and drained six three-pointers to fuel a fourth quarter comeback as Mount St. Mary's topped Maryland Eastern Shore, 66-63, on Tuesday night at the Hytche Center.

Sullivan registered 20 of her 23 points in the second half, and went 8-for-19 from the field and 6-for-13 from long range in the contest. The six three-pointers from Sullivan are tied for eighth most by a Mountaineer in program history.

Juliette Lawless also came alive in the second half, scoring 11 of her 14 points in the final two quarters as she tallied her fifth double-figure scoring performance in the last six contests. Lawless also added a team-high seven rebounds in the tilt.

Ciani Byrom led the Hawks with 15 points, while Bairesha Gill-Miles (12 pts) and Matha Thompson (11) also finished with double-figures.

The Mountaineers trailed by a 49-42 margin at the start of the fourth quarter, and the Hawks maintained their seven point advantage up until the midway mark of the period when Sullivan drained a pair of three-pointers in a span of three Mountaineer possessions to cut the deficit to just one, 58-57, at the 4:04 mark.

After Jordyn Smith hit a jumper on the other end to push the Hawks' lead back to three, Lawless drove the lane and got fouled, and converted both free throws to bring the Mount back within one.

The Mountaineers forced an Eastern Shore turnover on the next possession and capitalized off the miscue as Ashlee White converted in the lane to give the Mount a 61-60 advantage. The lead for the Mountaineers was their first since the opening quarter of play.

With under a minute remaining in the tilt and the Mount still leading by one, White made a nice spin move in the lane and finished off the glass while getting fouled. White knocked down the free throw for the three-point play, pushing the advantage to 64-60.

The Hawks answered with a three-pointer from Byrom to pull back within one, but on the next Mount possession, Lawless drove the lane and finished the tough layup to extend it to a three-point game, 66-63, with 14 seconds left.

After calling timeout to advance the ball, Amanda Carney's potential game-tying three-point attempt came up short, as the Mount escaped with a 66-63 victory to improve to 3-8 on the year. With the loss, Eastern Shore fell to 2-8 overall.

The Mountaineers shot 44.2 percent from the field and 33.3 percent from long range, while the Hawks went 41.8 percent from the floor and just 15.4 percent from deep.

Mount St. Mary's held a slim lead for the majority of the first quarter, but a pair free throws just under the two-minute mark from Byrom tied the contest at 15-15, and the teams remained deadlocked through the end of the period. Caroline Hummell and Katrice Dickson combined for 10 of the Mount's 15 points in the frame.

Eastern Shore stepped up on the defensive end early in the second quarter, holding the Mount to just three points in the first six minutes of play while building a 23-18 advantage during the stretch.

The Hawks extended the lead to 29-20 with 2:40 remaining in the half, but the Mount answered with six of the final eight points to trim the deficit to 31-26 at the intermission. Dickson finished with 11 points to lead all scorers in the half.

Sullivan heated up in the third quarter, registering all but five of the Mount's points in the frame. The rookie scored the team's first 11 of the period, with her second three-pointer closing the gap to 39-37 at the 3:59 mark.

The Hawks were able to answer back with a 10-5 run over the final minutes of the frame to open a 49-42 advantage heading into the fourth.

Mount St. Mary's trailed until the 2:18 mark of the fourth when White's layup put them ahead by one. The Mount didn't surrender the lead from that point, and Lawless' tough defense on the final potential game-tying shot from Carney forced a miss and sealed the Mountaineer win.

The Mount returns to action on December 29 for the Northeast Conference opener at Central Connecticut at 5 p.m. The game will be streamed live on