Mount Women’s Basketball Makes Fourth Quarter Comeback, but Falls in Final Seconds at Sacred Heart

Mount Women’s Basketball Makes Fourth Quarter Comeback, but Falls in Final Seconds at Sacred Heart

Fairfield, Conn. (January 26, 2016) – Mount St. Mary's University women's basketball outscored Sacred Heart 19-14 in the fourth quarter and held a lead in the last minute of play, but Alissa Tarsi's layup in the final seconds proved to be the game-winner as the Pioneers escaped with a 61-58 victory in Northeast Conference women's basketball action at the Pitt Center on Tuesday night.

Trailing by one with 19 seconds remaining, Alexis Carter knocked down a jumper to give the Mount a 58-57 advantage. On the ensuing Sacred Heart possession, Tarsi converted a layup to put the Pioneers back ahead, 59-58, with just five seconds showing on the clock. After a Mountaineer turnover on the offensive end, Kelcey Castro was fouled and made both free throws to push the Pioneer lead to 61-58. Mount St. Mary's called a timeout to advance the ball, but Kayla Bates' last-second three-point attempt came up just short as the Pioneers held on for the three-point victory.

Mount St. Mary's trailed by as many as 14 points late in the third quarter, but came all the way back and took its first lead of the contest midway through the final period. The Mount grabbed its largest lead of the game, 56-51, with just over two minutes remaining in the tilt, before Sacred Heart regained its advantage in the final minute.

Sophomore Jessica Harris posted her first career double-double, finishing the game with 18 points and a career-high 12 rebounds to lead the way for the Mount. Carter propelled the Mount's fourth quarter comeback, scoring eight in the period as she tallied all 13 of her points in the second half. Junior Kathleen Belanger-Finn was the Mountaineers' other double-digit scorer with 10 points on the night.

Adaysha Williams and Hannah Kimmel combined for 33 points to pace Sacred Heart, with Williams going 6-of-9 from the field for a team-high 17 points. Kimmel was held to just 33-percent shooting as the junior converted 7-of-21 in the contest.

The Mountaineers scored 19 points in the third quarter and cut their deficit to 47-39. Harris tallied six in the quarter, while Katrice Dickson and Carter each added five as the Mount ended the frame trailing by just eight. Carter and Belanger-Finn each knocked down a three-pointer in the final minute to help close the gap.

Harris scored six of the team's 12 points in the second period, and Belanger-Finn registered the final two buckets of the frame for the Mount, but the Pioneers headed into the halftime break with a 10-point lead, 30-20. Williams led all scorers in the half with 11 points for Sacred Heart.

The Pioneers tallied the first 11 points of the contest, but Mount St. Mary's closed the first period on an 8-4 run to cut its deficit to 15-8. Harris paced the Mount with four points in the quarter.

The Mountaineers head back to Emmitsburg for a tilt with Wagner on Saturday (Jan. 30) as part of the Mount's Homecoming Weekend. Tip-off from Knott Arena is scheduled for 6 p.m., and live video can be seen for free at