Emmitsburg, Md. (April 2, 2019) - The Mount St. Mary's men's tennis team was clipped by Morgan State 4-2 on Tuesday afternoon despite Jackson Wood's fourth straight win at the number one spot since coming back from his injury. Wood now has a team leading ten singles flight wins. The Mount duo of Wood and Parth Sharma picked up another doubles flight win, the duo is now 11-4 on the season.
- Jackson Wood defeated Serhii Kharchev 6-1, 7-5 in the number one flight while Evan Hine won by forfeit in the number six flight for the Mountaineers' two points from singles action.
- The Bears won the second, third, fourth, and fifth flights to clinch the match victory.
- Alonso Garcia and Sebastian Lopez battled in the fourth flight for which team would take home the win. Lopez barely squeeked by in the first set, 7-6. Garcia powered back in the second set 6-2 to force the third tie-breaker set. Lopez won that set comfortably, 6-2 that gave Morgan State the match win.
- Mount St. Mary's grabbed the point from doubles play after they tabbed wins in the first and third flights.
- Parth Sharma and Jackson Wood defeated Serhii Kharchev and Shrey Gupta 6-3 in the number one spot.
- Gabriel Santos and Alonso Garcia recorded a forfeit win in the third flight.
The Mount men's squad heads to Loyola for a match at 3:30 PM tomorrow, April 3.
Morgan State 4, Mount St. Mary's 2
1. Jackson Wood (MSMM) def. Serhii Kharchev (MSU) 6-1, 7-5
2. Nihit Rawal (MSU) def. Parth Sharma (MSMM) 6-3, 6-1
3. Oguzhan Ceylan (MSU) def. Gabriel Santos (MSMM) 7-5, 6-1
4. Sebastian Lopez (MSU) def. Alonso Garcia (MSMM) 7-6, 2-6, 6-2
5. Shrey Gupta (MSU) def. Jean Armstrong (MSMM) 6-1, 7-5
6. Evan Hine (MSMM) won by forefit
Order of finish: (6,2,1,3,5,4)
Mount St. Mary's Men (2-14)
Morgan State Men (8-6)