Posted: Jan 26, 2019
Annapolis, Maryland (January 26, 2019) - The Mount St. Mary's men's tennis team dropped matches to Navy and East Carolina on Saturday afternoon. In the first match of the day, the Mountaineers were downed by Navy 7-0 and in the second match of the day, the Mount was blanked by East Carolina 7-0. With the two losses on the day, the Mountaineers now drop to 0-3 to begin the spring season. With the wins, Navy moves to 4-2 on the year and East Carolina jumps to a perfect 4-0 this season.
MOUNT AT NAVY RESULTS
In doubles action, the Midshipmen took the number one and two flights to earn the doubles point before Mount St. Mary's won the third flight. The Mount duo of Jean Armstrong and Evan Hine won their second doubles match in a row after they topped Navy's Andrew Hicks and Cameron Kirkpatrick 6-3 for the Mountaineers lone victory of the match. Romesh Kahatapitiya and Jan Kjellberg edged the Mount's Alonso Garcia and Gabriel Santos 6-4 in the number one flight. Jonathan Dollahite and Conners O'Brien defeated Chris Lindsey and Parth Sharma from Mount St. Mary's 6-2 in the second doubles flight.
The Midshipmen swept singles competition when they picked up wins in all six flights to run away with the match victory. The Mountaineers' sophomore Evan Hine forced a third tie-breaker set in the number six flight but Hine was edged by Sam Vagner 6-0, 4-6, 6-2.
MOUNT VS EAST CAROLINA RESULTS
In doubles competition, the Pirates recorded a clean sweep with wins in all three flights to earn the point from doubles action. Vlad Anghel and Diogo Marques topped Alonso Garcia and Parth Sharma 6-2 in the number one flight. The Mount duo of Jean Armstrong and Evan Hine's doubles win streak came to an end after the team dropped the second flight to Wisse Jonker and Ronny Georgi 6-2. Javier Renones and Will Bissett downed Mount St. Mary's Christian Duran and Chris Lindsey 6-1 in the final flight.
The Pirates also swept singles competition to complete the 7-0 shutout win. East Carolina won all six flights and kept the Mountaineers from forcing a third tie-breaker set in all six flights as well.
The Mount St. Mary's men's and women's tennis teams return to action at Howard on Saturday, February 2.
Navy 7, Mount St. Mary's 0
1. Dollahite, Jonathan (NAVY) def. Parth Sharma (MSMM) 6-2, 6-1
2. Kjellberg, Jan (NAVY) def. Alonso Garcia (MSMM) 6-2, 7-6 (7-3)
3. Kahatapitiya, Romesh (NAVY) def. Jean Armstrong (MSMM) 6-2, 6-4
4. O'Brien, Conners (NAVY) def. Gabriel Santos (MSMM) 6-2, 6-0
5. Hicks, Andrew (NAVY) def. Chris Lindsey (MSMM) 6-3, 7-5
6. Vagner, Sam (NAVY) def. Evan Hine (MSMM) 6-0, 4-6, 6-2
Order of finish: (1,2,4,6,3,5)
2. Dollahite, Jonathan/O'Brien, Conners (NAVY) def. Chirs Lindsey/Parth Sharma (MSMM) 6-2
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3,1)
East Carolina 7, Mount St. Mary's 0
1. Vlad Anghel (ECU) def. Parth Sharma (MSMM) 6-4, 6-4
2. Diogo Marques (ECU) def. Alonso Garcia (MSMM) 6-0, 6-1
3. Wisse Jonker (ECU) def. Jean Armstrong (MSMM) 6-2, 6-0
4. Javier Renones (ECU) def. Chris Lindsey (MSMM) 6-0, 6-0
5. Austin Allen (ECU) def. Evan Hine (MSMM) 6-2, 6-0
6. Will Bissett (ECU) def. Christian Duran (MSMM) 6-0, 6-0
Order of finish: (4,2,6,5,3,1)
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1,2)