Emmitsburg, Md. (July 17, 2013) – Mike Salomon has won more singles and doubles matches than any other Mount men's tennis player since making the jump to Division I in 1988-89. The 2013 graduate picking up his school record 74th singles win on April 14 against Monmouth is No. 10 on the 2012-13 Top 20 Moments.
On his home court on campus at the Mount, Salomon cruised to a 6-0, 6-1 victory at No. 3 singles over Monmouth's Jason Prezant to break Sanjaya Wijemanne's career mark of 73 singles wins, which was set in 1994. The Mount won the match by a 7-0 final score.
Throughout his time in Emmitsburg, Salomon was a model for consistency on the court and in the classroom. In singles play, the Virginia native won at least 14 matches each season, highlighted by 24 victories as a junior in 2011-12 when he was named First Team All-Northeast Conference for No. 4 singles.
In his career, Salomon put together a singles mark of 74-33, finishing with a school record 56 wins in dual matches. Salomon's records were not limited to singles play as his win total for doubles of 56 is also a program best. With a 56-46 doubles mark over four solid seasons, Salomon finished two wins ahead of his teammate, Taylor Place, who is currently second in Mount history with 54 career doubles victories.
Academically, Salomon was a four-year member of the Commissioner's Honor Roll with a cumulative grade point average of 3.75 or better at the conclusion of each school year. Following his junior season, he was named NEC Scholar-Athlete of the Year for men's tennis.
The 2012-13 Mountaineers qualified for the NEC Semifinals for the second consecutive season. Salomon played a key role in the team's ascension to the top of the conference with the third most singles wins on the team with 19 while tying for the team lead in doubles victories with 16 alongside his partner Adam Salam.
Throughout the summer, the athletic department will recap the top 20 moments of the 2012-13 season. Fans can follow along on MountAthletics.com and through social media (Facebook / Twitter). Use the hashtag #MountTop20 to give us your thoughts on the top 20.
2012-13 Top 20 Moments Release Schedule
20. Alicia Mirando Scores Twice to Beat FDU, Continues Mount's Strong Season
19. Emmit S. Burg Arrives on Campus
18. Mount Athletics Celebrates Women in Sports
17. Vanessa Blair Joins NEC Hall of Fame
16. Amanda Reach Ties for Sixth at NEC Championships
15. Kelly Conroy Earns Academic All-America Status
14. Tommy Gruschow Finishes Second at NEC Cross Country Championships
13. Brett Schmidt Drafted by Rochester Rattlers in Major League Lacrosse Draft
12. Women's Lacrosse Beats Quinnipiac On Kaitlyn Larrimore's Five Goals
11. Women's Basketball Takes Down Seton Hall, 74-64
10. Mike Salomon Breaks Career Singles Wins Record
9. July 19, 2013
8. July 22, 2013
7. July 24, 2013
6. July 26, 2013
5. July 29, 2013
4. July 31, 2013
3. August 2, 2013
2. August 5, 2013
1. August 7, 2013