Mount St. Mary’s Men’s Soccer Clipped by Saint Francis U, 3-2

Mount St. Mary’s Men’s Soccer Clipped by Saint Francis U, 3-2

Loretto, Pa. (October 7, 2018) –Mount St. Mary's fell to Saint Francis U by a 3-2 margin in Northeast Conference men's soccer action on Sunday afternoon at Stokes Soccerplex.

The Mount was able to grab the advantage midway through the first half on Boris Nana Tonzi's second goal in as many games. After a foul by Saint Francis U just inside the Mount's attacking end, Miguel Lucero sent the free kick inside the box, and Nana Tonzi headed it past Alex Mogret into the back of the net to give the Mount a 1-0 lead.

With just under 15 minutes remaining in the second half, SFU drew a foul deep in the offensive end just outside the box. Christian Kirchhoff crossed the set piece into the box, and it was deflected out to Jacob Gratzer at the top of the penalty area. Gratzer settled it and fired a shot into the top right corner to even things up at 1-1.

Under a minute later, the Red Flash took a 2-1 advantage on Leonardo Ribeiro's second goal of the year. SFU played a long ball deep into Mount territory, and goalie Bobby Edwards came out to clear it but misplayed the ball as it rolled to Ribeiro, who slid it into the empty net to make it a 2-1 Red Flash lead.

SFU held onto the 2-1 advantage until the 62nd minute when the Mountaineers were able to get on the board. Yann Koeumi worked his way down the far sideline and crossed one into a dangerous area inside the box. A Red Flash defender attempted to clear the cross, but ended up heading it into the net for the own goal, as the score got knotted up at 2-2 with just under 29 minutes left in the contest.

With the game still even at 2-2 heading into the 70th minute, Eric Ganime played a long ball to Ribeiro, who headed it on to Ryan Berhorst in for a breakaway. Berhorst flicked it over Edwards, who came off his line, to give SFU a 3-2 lead.

The Red Flash were able to hold onto the advantage and close out the 3-2 victory to improve to 6-3-2 overall and 2-0-1 in league play, while the Mount fell to 1-7-3 on the year and 0-2-1 in the NEC.

Morgret made six saves to collect the victory in goal for SFU, while Edwards stopped four shots for the Mount.

"Unfortunately, playing a match on less than 48 hours rest against a team that didn't play on Friday got the best of us this afternoon," said Head Coach Bryan Cunningham. "Credit to Saint Francis U for continuing to battle and scrap for the third goal. Our players have to recover, learn from our mistakes, and get ready to do it again next weekend."

The Mountaineers head to Central Connecticut for a match on October 12 at 7 p.m.