Mount Men’s Soccer Falls to Sacred Heart in Overtime

Mount Men’s Soccer Falls to Sacred Heart in Overtime

Emmitsburg, Md. (October 5, 2018) – Sacred Heart scored with 56 seconds remaining in regulation to force overtime, and Elias Uyar netted the game winner late in the first overtime period, as Sacred Heart topped Mount St. Mary's 2-1 on Friday night at Waldron Family Stadium.

Mount St. Mary's (1-6-3, 0-1-1 NEC) grabbed the first score of the game in the 25th minute on Boris Nana Tonzi's first goal with the Mountaineers. Miguel Lucero sent a ball to the middle of the box, where Nana Tonzi was able to get his head on it and redirect it past goalie Robert Strain to give the Mount a 1-0 advantage.

After a scoreless remainder of the first half, Sacred Heart nearly found the equalizing goal midway through the second frame. At the top of the box, Segundo Navarro curled a shot headed toward the right side of the goal, but Mount goalie Bobby Edwards made an outstretched diving save to his left to deny Navarro.

With just under a minute remaining in regulation, Sacred Heart drew a foul 30 yards out to earn a free kick. Oscar Curras bent one inside the box, where Arnaud Deniel redirected it into the back of the net from six yards out to register the late game-tying goal.

The Pioneers held an 18-8 shot advantage at the end of regulation, as the game headed into overtime knotted up at 1-1.

Neither team got a shot off through the opening seven minutes of the first overtime period. With under three minutes showing on the clock, the Mountaineers were called for a foul in their own defensive end. Curras sent the free kick into the box, where an attempted clearance bounced to Uyar at the top of the penalty area. Uyar drilled a volley off the crossbar and in for the game-winning goal, as the Pioneers came away with the 2-1 victory.

Edwards made four saves in net for the Mount, while Strain stopped one shot for Sacred Heart.

The Mount is back in action this Sunday, October 7 at Saint Francis U at 3 p.m.