Men’s Lacrosse Has Win Streak Snapped in 11-8 Loss at Hobart

Men’s Lacrosse Has Win Streak Snapped in 11-8 Loss at Hobart

Geneva, N.Y. (April 20, 2019) – Mount St. Mary's had its five-game win streak snapped on Saturday in an 11-8 loss to Hobart in Northeast Conference (NEC) men's lacrosse action at Boswell Field. 

Entering the contest with an opportunity to clinch the NEC Regular Season Title, Mount St. Mary's was handed its first conference loss of the season by Hobart, which moved both teams to 4-1 in league play. The Mountaineers still have an opportunity to claim the NEC Regular Season Championship and home field throughout the playoffs with a victory over Saint Joseph's next Saturday paired with a loss by Hobart.

The Mount (8-6, 4-1 NEC) was led by Luke Frankeny, who tallied three points on a pair of goals and one assist. Brendan Doyle and Brenden McCarthey helped paced the offense with one goal and one assist apiece.

On the defensive end, Bryan McIntosh tallied a game-high four caused turnovers to go along with four ground balls. Goalie Dylan Furnback registered his ninth double-digit save performance of the season with 12 stops in the tilt.

For Hobart (10-3, 4-1 NEC), Chris Aslanian notched five goals and added one helper to lead all scorers in the game with six points. Eric Holden tallied three goals and two assists, and Ryan Archer dished out five assists to help fuel the offense in the win. Matthew Pedicine won 13-of-23 in the face-off circle.  

Sam Lucchesi made 12 saves to record the victory between the pipes for Hobart.

The Statesmen opened a 3-2 advantage at the end of the first quarter behind a pair of goals from Aslanian. They increased their lead to 6-3 at the halftime break after outscoring the Mount by a 3-1 margin in the second period.

Frankeny netted the opening goal of the third quarter to cut the Mount's deficit to just a pair, but Hobart answered with the next three goals, including a pair by Justin Scott, to open its largest lead of the game, 9-4, at the 3:37 mark of the third.

The Mountaineers responded with the final two goals of the quarter from Chris DiPretoro and Jack Mangan to bring them back within three scores heading into the final period 

The Mount's Joe Bethke and Hobart's Holden traded goals in the opening six-plus minutes of the fourth quarter, as it remained a three-goal margin.

With just over four minutes left in the tilt, Connor McMahon found the back of the net to trim the Mount's deficit to 10-8. Under a minute later, Aslanian answered with his fifth goal of the contest to push Hobart's advantage back to three.

Hobart was able to hold the Mountaineers scoreless in the final minutes of the game to close out the 11-8 win.

The Statesmen outshot the Mount by a 51-41 margin in the tilt, while the Mountaineers held a 37-29 advantage on ground balls.

The Mountaineers close out the regular season on April 27 at home against Saint Joseph's at 1 p.m. The Mount will honor its seniors with a ceremony prior to the game.