Men’s Lacrosse Tops Wagner for Fifth Straight Win

Men’s Lacrosse Tops Wagner for Fifth Straight Win

Staten Island, N.Y. (April 13, 2019) – The Mount St. Mary's men's lacrosse team downed Wagner 12-8 on Saturday at Hameline Field to collect its fifth straight victory and eighth in its last nine contests.

The Mountaineers improved to 8-5 overall and a perfect 4-0 in the NEC with the win, as they remain the lone undefeated team in conference play. The 4-0 start to league play for the Mount marks just the second time the team has opened with four straight wins. The only other instance came during the team's first season as members of the league in 2011, when they went on to claim the NEC Tournament Championship.

Brendan Doyle paced the Mount's attack in the victory, registering a game-high five points on one goal and four assists. Brenden McCarthy (2g), Chris DiPretoro (2g), Joe Bethke (2g), Luke Frankeny (2g) and Matt Haggerty (1g, 1a) each finished with two points on the afternoon. Sophomore A'Santi Blackshear netted his first career goal in the contest.

Dylan Furnback made 14 saves to collect his eighth victory of the season. The 14-save effort was Furnback's eighth double-digit save performance of the season.

The Mountaineers were outshot 42-32 in the tilt, but they were able to capitalize on their man-up opportunities, converting 4-of-5 chances in the victory.

Stephen Dwyer tallied a team-high three points (1g, 2a) to lead Wagner, while John Norton and Nic Ancona each registered a pair of goals.

Matt Sefcik took the loss between the pipes for the Seahawks despite making 11 saves.

The Mount held a 5-4 advantage entering the second half, and got the opening two goals of the frame from Haggerty and McCarthy to push the lead to 7-4.

Wagner (2-10, 0-4 NEC) got its offense going towards the end of the third quarter, scoring three goals in the final 5:35 of the stanza, including a pair from Norton, to tie things up at 7-7.

Spencer Kaufman put the Seahawks on top with the first goal of the fourth quarter off a feed from Dwyer. The Mountaineers countered on goals from McCarthy and Frankeny in a span of 1:12, with Doyle getting assists on both goals, to give them back the lead at 9-8 with under 10 minutes remaining.

Doyle then found the back of the net at the 8:31 mark to make it a two-goal Mount St. Mary's advantage. The Mount defense continued to shut down Wagner, and Chris DiPretoro and Frankeny netted insurance tallies in the final three minutes, as the Mount secured the 12-8 win and clinched a playoff berth.

Mount St. Mary's plays its final road game of the regular season on April 20 at Hobart at 1 p.m.