Men’s Lacrosse Downs Sacred Heart to Remain Unbeaten in Conference Play

Men’s Lacrosse Downs Sacred Heart to Remain Unbeaten in Conference Play

Emmitsburg, Md. (March 30, 2019) – The Mount St. Mary's men's lacrosse team downed Sacred Heart by a 14-10 margin on Saturday at Waldron Family Stadium to remain unbeaten in Northeast Conference (NEC) play this season. Goalie Dylan Furnback came up big all day for the Mountaineers as he made a season-high 17 saves to help propel the Mount to victory.

The win pushed the Mount to 6-5 overall and 3-0 in NEC play as they sit atop the conference standings. Sacred Heart dropped to 5-5 on the year and 1-2 in the conference following the loss.

Furnback stopped 11 shots in the first half of play, as he and the Mount defense held SHU to just a pair of goals in the opening two quarters. The sophomore net minder added six more saves in the second half to cap off his season-best 17-save performance. Furnback held reining NEC Player of the Year Max Tuttle to just one goal on 10 shots in the game.

On the offensive end, Luke Frankeny tallied a game-high five points on three goals and two helpers, while Brendan Doyle, Chris DiPretoro and Brenden McCarthy all finished with four points on three goals and one assist apiece. Joe Bethke notched one goal and one assist, and rookie Justin Weick netted his first collegiate goal to round out the scoring for the Mountaineers.

For Sacred Heart, Joe Saggese led the way with three tallies and Logan Lijeberg and Alex Weiss each added two goals. Brooks Dutton took the loss in goal despite making 11 saves.

Mount St. Mary's dominated the first quarter, outscoring Sacred Heart 4-0 in the period. Doyle registered two of his three goals in the frame, and Frankeny and Weick notched one apiece. Furnback made several outstanding saves in the quarter to keep Sacred Heart off the board.

The Mount and SHU traded two goals apiece in the second quarter, with Frankeny and McCarthy picking up the scores for the Mountaineers. After making six saves in the first period, Furnback added five more in the second, and Mount St. Mary's carried a 6-2 advantage into the break.

SHU closed the gap to 8-5 at the midway mark of the third quarter after back-to-back scores by Weiss and Saggese, but the Mount answered with two straight from DiPretoro to stretch the lead back to five. Saggese netted the final goal of the third frame to cut the Pioneers' deficit to 10-6 heading into the fourth.

The Pioneers tallied two straight in the opening minute and a half of the fourth quarter, which brought them within a pair, 10-8. Bethke halted the momentum with his tally at the 12:32 mark off a feed from Doyle. Minutes later, DiPretoro made it two straight Mount goals with his third of the game with 7:14 on the clock.

SHU was able to cut it to a two-goal game once again following consecutive goals by Drew Edwards and Jake Giaquinto with just under six minutes remaining. The Mountaineers buckled down from there, holding the Pioneers scoreless the rest of the way while getting insurance tallies by Doyle and Frankeny to close out the 14-10 win.

The Mount is back in action next Saturday, April 6 for a matchup at first-year program Utah.