Late Rally Comes Up Short as Mount Men's Lacrosse Loses at Robert Morris, 12-11

Late Rally Comes Up Short as Mount Men's Lacrosse Loses at Robert Morris, 12-11

Moon Township, Pa. (April 14, 2013)--A late rally came up short as the Mount St. Mary's men's lacrosse team was edged at Robert Morris, 12-11, on Sunday afternoon at Joe Walton Stadium.  Brett Schmidt had three goals and three assists for the Mountaineers in the loss.

The Mount (4-9, 0-3 NEC), which trailed by three goals with 9:54 reamining, cut the deficit to 12-11 with 5:50 left on a Connor Carey goal.  The Colonials, however, were able to keep the Mount off the scoreboard the rest of the way to earn the one-goal win.

Brett Schmidt continued to remain hot for the Mountaineers, scoring three goals while dishing out three assists for six points in the game.  Schmidt has 24 points (15g, 9a) over the past five games, and has posted three or more points in each of his past 12 contests.  The senior has now scored at least one goal in 41 consecutive games, the longest streak in the nation.

Daniel Stranix added three goals for his second career hat trick for the Mountaineers while Carey chipped in two goals.  Bryant Schmidt tallied a goal and two assists for the Mount as well.

Mount St. Mary's face-off specialist Jon Marsalese dominated in the game, winning 19-of-23 face-offs while picking up a game-high 13 ground balls.  The Mount, however, was outshot in the game, 38-34, while posting 18 turnovers compared to 10 by the Colonials.

Robert Morris (6-5, 2-1 NEC) had five players each score two goals in a balanced scoring effort in the win.  Tyler Digby, Dave Brous, Connor Martin, Jake Hayes and Luke Laskiewicz each scored twice in the win.

After Brett Schmidt scored just over a minute into the game to give the Mount a 1-0 advantage, Robert Morris took control by outscoring the Mount 6-1 the rest of the way in the opening quarter for a 6-2 advantage.

Martin, Brous and Laszkiewicz rattled off three goals in a span of 1:58 to give the Colonials a 3-1 lead.  Carey stopped that scoring run with his first goal of the game with 6:10 left in the opening quarter, but Robert Morris responded with another three-goal streak for a 6-2 lead.  Martin capped the run with his second goal of the game with five seconds left in the quarter.

Stranix scored his first goal of the afternoon with 4:22 left in the second quarter, but Hayes answered with a goal with four seconds left in the half to give Robert Morris a 7-3 advantage at the break.

The Mount came out strong to open the second half, scoring 13 seconds into the third quarter when Brett Schmidt converted an Andrew Scalley pass to make the score 7-4.  Laszkiewicz tallied his second goal of the game for an 8-4 lead, but the Mount posted a three-goal run to cut the Robert Morris lead to 8-7.

Bryant Schmidt opened the run when he scored off a feed from twin brother, Brett, with 7:18 left in the third.  Just under a minute later, Anthony Golden scored to make it a two-goal game.  Long stick midfielder Mark Burns added his fourth goal of the year with 5:09 left in the third quarter to pull the Mount within one goal.

Again Robert Morris answered with a three-goal spurt to push the lead back to 11-7.  Hayes and Digby sandwiched extra-man goals around a Brous tally in the run.  Stranix, however, scored with five seconds left in the quarter to make the score 11-8 heading into the final period.

Stranix completed his hat trick with an unassisted goal with 11:15 left in the contest to cut the deficit to 11-9, but Robert Morris countered with a Jacob Ruest goal with 9:54 on the clock.

Brett Schmidt then had a hand in back-to-back Mount goals that cut the Robert Morris lead to 12-11.  Schmidt scored with 8:35 left, and then fed Carey for his second goal of the game that cut the deficit to one with 5:50 remaining.

Marsalese won the ensuing face-off, but shots from Bryant Schmidt and Cody Lehrer were off the mark, and the Mount had a shot clock violation, giving the ball to Robert Morris.

The teams then exchanged turnovers before Mount goalkeeper Adam Borgogelli made a save on a Ruest shot with just over a minute remaining.  The Colonials got the ground ball, but committed a turnover with 28 seconds on the clock.  The Mount was unable to take advantage, though, committing a turnover with seven seconds left.

Borgogelli made 10 saves for the Mount in the loss while Robert Morris goalkeeper Charles Ruppert had 11 saves in the game.

The Mount returns to action on Saturday, April 20, when NEC leader Bryant visits Waldron Family Stadium.  Face-off is slated for 1:00 p.m.