Men's Lacrosse Loses at Quinnipiac in Northeast Conference Matchup

Men's Lacrosse Loses at Quinnipiac in Northeast Conference Matchup

Hamden, Conn. (April 6, 2013)--Mount St. Mary's lost to Quinnipiac, 12-8, in a Northeast Conference matchup on Satuday afternoon.  Brett Schmidt paced the Mount with three goals and an assist in the loss.

The Bobcats (4-5, 1-1 NEC) took command of the game by taking a 7-2 lead in the opening 10:34 of the game. Basil Kostaras and Matt Diehl connected for early goals to stake Quinnipiac to a 2-0 advantage.

The Mount (4-8, 0-2 NEC) fought back on goals from Clayton Wainer and Brett Schmidt, but the Bobcats rattled off the next five goals in a span of 3:18 to push its lead to five.  Brendan Wilbur, Dylan Webster and Pat Corcoran tallied three goals in a 44 second span to start the scoring streak.  Wilbur and Billy Oppenheimer completed the surge to give the Bobcats a 7-2 lead.

After Michael Sagl scored just over five minutes into the second quarter, Brett Schmidt stopped the scoring run with his second goal of the game to make the score 8-3 with 8:24 left in the opening half.  Quinnipiac's Tom Gilligan and the Mount's Connor Carey exchanged goals before Diehl scored with 22 seconds left in the half for a 10-4 advantage.

Wilbur scored 3:15 into the third quarter to give Quinnipiac its biggest lead of the game, 11-4.  The Mount rallied to get back into the game, scoring the final three goals of the third quarter to cut the deficit to 11-7.  Wainer's second goal of the game started teh run before Mark Hojnoski and Bryant Schmidt scored to make the score 11-7.

Brett Schmidt completed his hat trick to cut the Quinnipiac advantage to 11-8 with 6:55 left in the game.  Corcoran, however, sealed the win with a goal with 4:21 left to complete the scoring for Quinnipiac.

Schmidt finished with three goals and an assist to lead the Mount in the loss.  Schmidt has now scored a goal in 40 consecutive games, the longest streak in the nation.  Wainer chipped in two goals for the Mount as well.  Leading scorer Andrew Scalley was held off the scoresheet for the first time this season.

Wilbur led Quinnipiac with three goals with Diehl adding two goals and two assists.  Sagle and Gilligan had a goal and two assists each while Oppenheimer had a goal and three assists in the win.

Adam Borgogelli made nine saves while allowing five goals in 49:26 minutes of action in relief of starter Frankie McCarthy for the Mountaineers.  Gill Conners had 13 saves for Quinnipiac in the win.

The Mount was outshot, 35-29, in the game and were edged in ground balls by a 31-28 margin.  Jon Marsalese won 12-of-22 face-offs for the Mountaineers, picking up 12 ground balls in the game.

The Mount committed 15 turnovers in the contest, including six in the fourth quarter, while Quinnipiac committed just six turnovers in the game.

Mount St. Mary's returns to action at Robert Morris on Sunday, April 14.  The game will start at 1:00 p.m.