Mount Men's Lacrosse Edged by UMBC, 10-8

Mount Men's Lacrosse Edged by UMBC, 10-8

Catonsville, Md. (March 23, 2013)—Mount St. Mary's fell to UMBC, 10-8, on a pair of late goals in the final non-conference game on the schedule.  Brett Schmidt paced the Mount with two goals and three assists in the loss.

The Mount's Daniel Stranix evened the score at 8-8 when he scored on an extra-man opportunity with 11:46 remaining.  Mount St. Mary's then had several opportunities to take the lead, firing five shots with UMBC goalkeeper Wes DiRito making a pair of saves, including one on Eric Ososki with 6:59 left.

The Retrievers converted on the transition break after the second DiRito save, with Ethan Murphy scoring to give UMBC (3-5) a 9-8 lead.  Just over a minute later, Scott Jones scored on a rebound with 5:25 left to make the score 10-8.

The Mount (4-6) was unable to solve the UMBC defense in the final five minutes, posting three turnovers, including one with 1:27 remaining after a UMBC penalty.

Trailing 7-6 at the half, Ososki scored the lone goal of the third quarter to tie the game at 7-7.  The Mount outshot UMBC, 10-2, in the third quarter, but DiRito made three saves to keep the Retrievers even.

Schmidt, who has now scored a goal in 38 consecutive games, was the Mount's top scorer in the game with his two goals and three assists.  Ososki had two goals while Scalley finished with a goal and two assists in the loss. 

The Mount had six different players score in the game.  Frankie McCarthy made five saves while allowing three goals in the second half.  Adam Borgogelli played the first half, with six saves and seven goals allowed.

Matt Gregoire, Pat Young and Jones each had two goals in the win for UMBC while DiRito made 11 saves in the game.

The Mountaineers outshot UMBC, 37-29, in the game while committing 15 turnovers compared to UMBC's 23.  The Retrievers, however, won 16 of 22 face-offs in the game, leading to a commanding 34-to-18 advantage in ground balls.

Mount St. Mary's took a 2-0 lead in the opening quarter behind goals from Eric Ososki and Brett Schmidt.  Borgogelli made three saves in the opening six minutes of the game as well for the Mount.

UMBC, however, responded with the next four goals to grab a 4-2 lead with 3:33 left in the first quarter.  Joe Lustgarten, Young, Gregoire and Nate Lewnes each scored during the four-goal run. The Mount's Scalley countered with 3:05 left to cut the deficit to 4-3, but Gregoire's second goal of the game gave UMBC a 5-3 lead after one quarter of play.

Cody Lehrer's 21st goal of the year cut the deficit to 5-4 early in the second quarter, but Jones countered with an extra-man goal two minutes later to push the lead back to two.  The Mount's Connor Carey struck for his first goal of the season with 6:18 left in the half, but UMBC's Trey Cover tallied his first goal of the year with 2:20 left to make it 7-5.   Schmidt scored with 34 seconds left in the half to cut UMBC's lead to 7-6 at the break.

The Mount returns to action on Saturday, March 30, when Sacred Heart visits Waldron Family Stadium for the Northeast Conference opener.  Face-off is slate for 1:00 p.m.