Posted: Dec 02, 2019
MOUNT ST. MARY'S (3-5) at GRAND CANYON (3-6)
Tuesday, December 3, 2019 | 9:00 pm ET
GCU Arena | Phoenix, Ariz.
NEWS AND NOTES
- Jalen Gibbs scored 17 of his season-high 23 points in the second half to propel the Mount to a 73-56 win at Howard on Saturday. The Mount trailed by eight points early in the second half before rallying for the victory. Gibbs knocked down consecutive three-pointers to break a 46-46 tie to give the Mount the lead for good. A 9-0 run gave the Mount a 61-51 advantage, and the team was able to stretch the lead out down the stretch.
- This is the first-ever meeting between the Mount and Grand Canyon. The Mountaineers are 2-1 all-time against WAC opponents, including a 64-61 win over Utah Valley on November 26 at Knott Arena. The Mount lost at San Jose State (91-72) on Dec. 22, 2001 while posting a 58-55 win over Rice on Dec. 6, 1997.
- Damian Chong Qui nearly had a triple-double in the win over Howard, tallying 14 points, eight rebounds and seven assists in the 73-56 victory. Chong Qui is averaging 14.3 points over his past three games, including a career-high 18 points in the 64-61 victory over Utah Valley. Chong Qui is shooting 88.9 percent at the foul line and is averaging 3.4 assists per game.
- Jalen Gibbs is averaging 19.0 points over the past two games for the Mountaineers, and he has scored in double figures in five of his six games played this year.
- Mount St. Mary's held Howard to 39.2 percent shooting in the 73-56 victory on Saturday. It was the fourth time in eight games this season that the Mount has held the opposition to under 40 percent shooting. For the year, Mount opponents are shooting 42.3 percent from the floor.
- Up next, the Mount hosts longtime rival, Loyola, for the 175th all-time meeting in the "Catholic Clash". Tip-off is set for Saturday, December 7, at 4:00 p.m.