Feb 27, 2019
MOUNT ST. MARY'S (8-21, 5-11 NEC) vs. FAIRLEIGH DICKINSON (15-13, 10-6 NEC)
Thursday, February 28, 2019, 7:00 p.m.
Knott Arena, Emmitsburg, Md.
NEWS AND NOTES
- The Mount lost at Bryant, 81-58, on Saturday to fall to 8-21 overall and 5-11 in the Northeast Conference. The Bulldogs used a 22-0 run to break the game open and earn the victory. Vado Morse paced the Mount with 19 points while Damian Chong Qui tallied 15 points, four rebounds and four assists. The Mount shot 39.3 percent in the game while Bryant hit 13-of-30 (.433) from three-point range.
- Fairleigh Dickinson has won three in a row and five of the past seven games against the Mountaineers to take a 31-28 lead in the all-time series. The Mount fell at FDU, 87-69, on January 21.
- Damian Chong Qui was named the Northeast Conference Rookie of the Week on Monday after averaging 13.0 points, 6.0 rebounds and 5.0 assists in a 1-1 week. He opened the week with 11 points, a career-high eight rebounds and six assists in the Mount's 79-66 win at Central Connecticut. Chong Qui closed the week with 15 points (6-of-10 FG), four rebounds and four assists in the Mount's loss at Bryant.
- Damian Chong Qui is the fifth Mount player to win NEC Rookie of the Week honors this season, setting a league record. Vado Morse has won a league-leading six weekly awards, followed by two for Malik Jefferson and one apiece for Chong Qui, Dee Barnes and Nana Opoku. In total, the Mount has collected NEC rookie accolades in 11-of-16 weeks this season, including six straight heading into the final week of the campaign.
- Vado Morse is averaging 14.7 points per game this season, the third-highest scoring average by a freshman at the Mount since the move to NCAA Division I in 1988-89. Chris McGuthrie averaged 19.8 points during the 1992-93 season and Landy Thompson 15.6 in 2002-03.
- Jalen Gibbs has recorded five or more rebounds in each of the past eight games. He is averaging 5.2 boards per game this season.