Mount St. Mary’s Men’s Basketball Topped by Bryant

Mount St. Mary’s Men’s Basketball Topped by Bryant

Smithfield, R.I. (February 23, 2019) – Mount St. Mary's was topped by Bryant, 81-58, on Saturday in Northeast Conference men's basketball action at the Chace Athletic Center.

Vado Morse paced the Mount with a team-high 19 points as he hit 4-of-9 from three-point territory. Damian Chong Qui finished with 15 points on 6-of-10 shooting to go along with four assists and four rebounds.

Bryant's starters all finished in double-figures as the five Bulldogs accounted for all of the team's 81 points in the win. Sebastian Townes recorded a team-high 20 points, while Juan Cardenas notched 19 and Joe Kazperzyk added 18.

The win pushed Bryant to 10-17 overall and 7-9 in the NEC, while the Mount dropped to 8-21 on the year and 5-11 in league play.

With the game tied coming out of the first media timeout, the Bulldogs scored 22 straight points, including seven from Byron Hawkins and six by Kasperzyk, as they opened a 27-5 advantage at the 6:43 mark.

Omar Habwe hit a short jumper with 6:31 on the clock to finally put an end to the Mount's scoreless drought that lasted over nine minutes. After a three from Bryant's Townes, Habwe scored the Mount's next four points before Morse hit his second long ball of the game to cut the deficit to 30-14.

Bryant answered with the next eight points, fueled by three-pointers from Adam Grant and Cardenas, to push the lead to 38-14 with under two minutes remaining. The Bulldogs would ultimately take a 40-18 lead into the halftime break.

Cardenas and Kasperzyk both reached double-figures in the opening half, combining for 22 points to lead Bryant. Morse tallied nine points to pace the Mount, while Habwe added six.

Bryant shot 38.2 percent overall and made 8-of-21 (.381) from deep in the first half. The Mount shot just 24 percent from the field and hit 2-of-9 (.222) beyond the arc.

The Mount scored six of the opening eight points in the second half on a pair of buckets by Malik Jefferson and a layup from Jalen Gibbs, which cut the deficit to 42-24 early on. Bryant countered with a 14-4 run over the next four minutes to grab its largest lead to that point, 56-28.

The Mountaineers answered the Bryant rally with 10 straight points, which included a pair of triples from Chong Qui. The run brought them within 18 at the 10:29 mark. The Mountaineers cut the Bryant lead to 16 late in the half, but that was as close as they would get.

The Mount shot 39.3 percent in the contest, compared to a 45.9 percent shooting performance for Bryant. The Bulldogs also hit 13-of-30 (.433) from long range and held a 43-28 advantage on the boards.

The Mount returns home to face Fairleigh Dickinson on February 28 at 7 p.m.