Posted: Feb 22, 2019
MOUNT ST. MARY'S (8-20, 5-10 NEC) at BRYANT (9-17, 6-9 NEC)
Saturday, February 23, 2019, 4:00 p.m.
Chace Athletic Center, Smithfield, R.I.
NEWS AND NOTES
- Five players scored in double figures as the Mount posted a 79-66 win at Central Connecticut on Thursday night. The Mount used a 20-0 first-half run to take the lead. Jalen Gibbs led the way with 20 points and five rebounds while Vado Morse added 14 points and a season-best eight assists. Damian Chong Qui stuffed the stat sheet with 11 points, a career-high eight rebounds and six assists while Malik Jefferson and Nana Opoku tallied 10 points each in the victory.
- The Mount holds a 13-to-8 lead in the all-time series with Bryant. The teams have split the season series in each of the past five years. Bryant captured the first game between the teams this year, 66-59, at Knott Arena on January 10. The Mountaineers are 4-6 all-time on the road against Bryant.
- The Mount's freshmen have scored 64.2 percent of the Mount's points this season (1,222 of 1,902 points). Vado Morse leads the way with 393 points while Malik Jefferson (223), Damian Chong Qui (184), Dee Barnes (152) and Nana Opoku (134) are all over 100 points this year.
- Jalen Gibbs scored a team-high 20 points against Central Connecticut. Gibbs is averaging 15.2 points and a team-high 5.9 rebounds over the past nine games for the Mountaineers.
- Freshman Vado Morse was named the Northeast Conference Rookie of the Week for the sixth time this season on Monday. Morse averaged 22.0 points, 3.0 rebounds and 4.0 assists in a 1-1 week for the Mountaineers. His six NEC Rookie of the Week awards are a Mount record, breaking the old standard of five set by Shivaughn Wiggins in 2012-13. The six NEC Rookie of the Week awards are tied for the sixth-most in NEC history.
- Vado Morse dished out a career-high eight assists for the Mount in the win over CCSU. Morse has had four or more assists in each of the past six games, averaging a team-best 5.7 per game over that stretch.