Mount Men's Basketball Edged at the Buzzer by Wagner, 58-56

Mount Men's Basketball Edged at the Buzzer by Wagner, 58-56

Emmitsburg, Md. (February 16, 2019)--Mount St. Mary's lost a heartbreaker to Wagner, 58-56, on Saturday afternoon at Knott Arena.  Wagner's Romone Saunders drove the length of the court over the final 5.5 seconds and scored the winning bucket at the buzzer to lift the Seahawks to the win.  The Mountaineers had tied the game on a clutch Vado Morse three-pointer with 5.5 seconds remaining.

In a tight defensive battle in the second half, the Mount took a 51-49 lead on a Mailk Jefferson baseline jumper with 2:51 remaining in the game.  After each team failed to convert chances, Saunders was fouled with 1:28 on the clock, and he hit both free throws for a 52-51 lead.  On the next possession, Morse missed a three-pointer, and the Mount fouled Chase Freeman, who hit both shots to make it 54-51 with 20 seconds left.  Morse drove the length of the court and found Jefferson for a dunk with 13 seconds on the clock to cut the deficit to one.  The Mount fouled Devin Liggeons on the inbounds, and he hit both free throws for a 56-53 lead.  The Mount got the ball to Morse, who was able to connect from downtown with 5.5 seconds remaining to even the score at 56-56, setting up Wagner's game-winning sequence.

The Mount led 32-22 at the half, and held a 39-27 lead after a pair of Morse free throws with 16:22 left in the second half.  Wagner (13-12, 8-6 NEC) proceeded to go on a 22-to-8 run over the next 11 minutes to take the lead.  AJ Sumbry converted in the post with 5:19 left to put Wagner ahead, 49-47.  The Mount evened the score on a pair of Nana Opoku free throws ahead of Jefferson's basket that gave the Mount a 51-49 lead.

After Wagner scored the first four points of the game, the Mount controlled the remainder of the first half.  The Mount (7-20, 4-10 NEC) went on a 17-to-2 run to jump out to a 17-6 lead just seven minutes into the game.  Morse scored nine points during the run while Omar Habwe and Dee Barnes added three-pointers.  The Mountaineers took their biggest lead of the game, 32-18, after a Jalen Gibbs three-pointer with just under two minutes left in the opening half.

Morse led the Mount with 23 points and four assists, hitting 7-of-19 from the field and 3-of-10 from three-point range in the game.  Jalen Gibbs added seven points and eight rebounds while Nana Opoku had six points and six rebounds off the bench.  Saunders, who was held to 2-of-14 shooting in the game, finished with 12 ponts and seven rebounds for Wagner.  Liggeons chipped in 10 points and eight rebounds off the bench.

The Mount shot 36.0 percent in the game, including 6-of-23 (.261) from three-point range.  The Mount held Wagner to 27.9 percent (17-of-61) from the field and 6-of-26 (.231) from beyond the arc in the contest.  Wagner outrebounded the Mount, 45-38, and scored 23 second chance points off 15 offensive rebounds.

The Mount returns to action on Thursday, February 21, with a 7:00 p.m. game at Central Connecticut.