Posted: Feb 06, 2019
MOUNT ST. MARY'S (5-18, 2-8 NEC) at LIU BROOKLYN (10-12, 4-6 NEC)
Thursday, February 7, 2019, 7 pm
Barclays Center, Brooklyn, N.Y.
NEWS AND NOTES
- Mount St. Mary's fell to Saint Francis U, 72-63, at Knott Arena on Saturday afternoon. Freshman Malik Jefferson paced the Mount 20 points and 10 rebounds, his third career double-double. Vado Morse chipped in 10 points and a career-best seven assists while Omar Habwe added 10 points. The Mount surged ahead, 53-49, midway through the second half with Jefferson scoring six points early in the half. The Mount held a 55-52 lead after a Morse jumper with 8:46 remaining in the half, but the SFU scored the next nine points to make it 61-55. From there, the Red Flash held on for the win.
- LIU Brooklyn holds a 32-30 lead in the all-time series with the Mountaineers. The Mount took the first meeting this year, a 74-72 victory at Knott Arena on January 24. The Mountaineers have won seven of the past 10 matchups in the series. The Mount is 1-1 all-time at the Barclays Center, winning 61-54 on Jan. 17, 2015, and falling 86-72 on January 12, 2013.
- Freshman forward Malik Jefferson was named the Northeast Conference Rookie of the Week on Monday. Jefferson averaged 17.0 points and 8.5 rebounds for the Mount in a pair of games, shooting 78.9 percent on 15-of-19 shooting. He opened the week with 14 points and seven rebounds in the Mount's loss to Sacred Heart, and followed with his third double-double of the year with 20 points and 10 rebounds against Saint Francis U
- Malik Jefferson was named the Northeast Conference Rookie of the Week on Monday. It is the eight time in 13 weeks that the Mount has had the NEC Rookie of the Week. Vado Morse has won a league-high four times this year, Jefferson twice, and one each for Nana Opoku and Dee Barnes.
- Freshman forward Nana Opoku blocked a career-high nine shots to pace the Mount defense against Saint Francis U on Saturday. The nine blocks are the third-most in a game in Mount history, and the most since Gerben Van Dorpe had 10 blocks at Rider on January 11, 1996. The school record is 11 blocks set by Randy Edney on Jan. 15, 1994, against LIU Brooklyn.
- Up next, the Mount heads to Sacred Heart on Saturday, February 9, for a 3:00 p.m. matchup with the Pioneers.