Posted: Jan 30, 2019
MOUNT ST. MARY'S (5-16, 2-6 NEC) vs. SACRED HEART (8-13, 4-4 NEC)
Monday, January 31, 2019, 7 pm
Knott Arena, Emmitsburg, Md.
NEWS AND NOTES
- The Mount staged a furious rally against St. Francis Brooklyn on Saturday, but came up short in a 74-67 loss. The Mount made seven consecutive three-point field goals to cut a 16-point deficit with five minutes remaining to 70-67. The Mount had a chance to tie, but Vado Morse saw his three-point attempt with 15 seconds left come up short. Morse led the Mount with 24 points while Omar Habwe added 12.
- Mount St. Mary's has won the past six meetings with Sacred Heart, and holds a 27-10 lead in the all-time series. The Mountaineers are 15-4 all-time at home against the Pioneers, and have won 16 of the past 19 matchups between the two teams.
- Vado Morse was named the NEC Co-Player and Rookie of the Week on Monday. Morse averaged 24.0 points while adding 3.5 rebounds and 2.5 assists per game, shooting 50.0 percent from the floor and 45.0 percent from beyond the three-point arc, for the Mountaineers in a 1-1 week. He becomes just the fourth freshman in NEC history to win NEC Player of the Week honors, joining Wagner's Miladin Mutavdzic (2/2/92), CCSU's Corsley Edwards (11/30/98) and Sacred Heart's Cane Broome (12/8/14). Morse also took home his second straight NEC Rookie of the Week honor and fourth in the last five weeks
- The Mountaineers have been taking care of the basketball on the offensive end in conference play. The Mount leads the NEC in turnover percentage in league games, turning the ball over on 17.5 percent of its offensive possessions. The Mount is averaging just 11.6 turnovers per game in league play, and just 9.0 turnovers over the past two games.
- The Mount is second in the NEC with 8.4 three-pointers made per game in league play. Over the past five games, the Mount is 48-for-130 (.369) from three-point range, averaging 9.6 threes made per game over that stretch.