Jan 04, 2019
MOUNT ST. MARY'S (3-11, 0-1 NEC) at ROBERT MORRIS (6-8, 1-0 NEC)
Saturday, January 5, 2019, 5 pm
North Athletic Complex, Moon Township, Pa.
MOUNT NEWS AND NOTES
- Mount St. Mary's opened Northeast Conference play with an 80-69 loss at preseason favorite Saint Francis U on Thursday night. After falling behind 30-15 in the first half, the Mount rallied to take a 41-40 lead early in the second half. The Mount trailed 65-60 with 6:37 remaining, but the Red Flash scored the next five points, and were able to hold on for the win. Omar Habwe led four Mountaineers in double figures with 21 points.
- The Mount and Robert Morris have developed one of the top rivalries in the Northeast Conference. The teams have met in nine of the past 13 Northeast Conference Tournaments, including a 60-56 Robert Morris victory at the Mount in last year's NEC Quarterfinals. The Mount and RMU have met twice in the NEC Championship with the Mount winning in 2014 and RMU in 2009.
- Omar Habwe scored a team-high 21 points for the Mountaineers at Saint Francis U on Thursday night. It is his second 20-point effort of the year. He scored a career-best 24 points against Lehigh on December 8.
- The Mount has one of the youngest teams in the nation with nine freshmen and seven sophomores on the roster. The Mount ranks 352nd out of 353 teams in NCAA Division I in experience as calculated by KenPom. Only UNC Asheville ranks lower than the Mountaineers.
- Point guard Damian Chong Qui has been solid for the Mount since entering the starting lineup at St. John's on December 5. The 5-8 freshman is averaging 8.3 points and 3.7 assists over the seven-game stretch, posting an assist-to-turnover ratio of 2.6-to-1.
- Freshman guard Vado Morse has been a key contributor for the Mountaineers of late. The 6-0 guard is averaging 16.7 points and 3.3 assists over the past three games, connecting on 45.9 percent from the field and 38.9 percent from three-point range. Morse recorded back-to-back 18-point efforts against St. Mary's (Md.) and Minnesota to start the three-game run.
- The Mount returns home to face Bryant on Saturday, January 10, with a 7:00 p.m. matchup at Knott Arena.