Jalen Gibbs Pours in 30 Points to Lead Mount St. Mary's Past Wilson College, 74-59

Jalen Gibbs Pours in 30 Points to Lead Mount St. Mary's Past Wilson College, 74-59

Emmitsburg, Md. (December 15, 2018)--Sophomore Jalen Gibbs poured in a career-high 30 points to lead Mount St. Mary's past Wilson College, 74-59, for its first victory of the season.  Gibbs drained six three-pointers in the game as the Mountaineers pulled away late to earn the victory. 

Head coach Dan Engelstad picked up his first victory at the helm of the Mount men's basketball program as well.  Engelstad compiled a 104-34 record the previous five seasons as the head coach at Southern Vermont College.

Wilson (3-8) carried the momentum early in the contest, building a 21-14 advantage with 8:31 left in the first half.  After the Mount had cut the Wilson lead to 12-11, the Phoenix went on a 9-to-3 run to take its biggest lead of the contest.  The Mountaineers countered with a 15-0 spurt to grab a 29-21 lead with 3:05 left in the half. Gibbs started the surge with a three-pointer, and Damian Chong Qui added a bucket to make it a two-point game.  Omar Habwe scored the next four points to put the Mountaineers ahead, 23-21, and then Gibbs and Dee Barnes capped the run with consecutive three-pointers.  The Phoenix countered the Mount run by closing the half on a 12-6 streak to cut the Mount's lead to 35-33 at the break.  The Wilson run included a bucket by Zachary Powell that closed out the first half.

The Mount (1-9) held a 44-37 advantage five minutes into the second half before Wilson staged a rally to take the lead.  Keion Adams made consecutive baskets ahead of a Powell three-pointer that tied the score.  After a Chong Qui lay-up for the Mountaineers, Powell tied the game with a free throw.  Ian Hess then converted a drive to the basket to give Wilson a 48-46 advantage.  Gibbs answered with a three-pointer to put the Mount back on top, 49-48, and Omar Habwe followed with a dunk to put the Mount up, 51-48.  Wilson stayed within range, cutting Wilson's deficit to 57-54 on an Adams basket. 

Mount St. Mary's was able to respond with the next nine points to take control of the game.  Gibbs nailed his sixth three-pointer of the game to put the Mount up, 60-54.  Vado Morse followed with a three-pointer of his own, and Gibbs then capped the run with a traditional three-point play to stretch the Mount's lead to double digits.  The Mount ended up closing the game on a 17-to-5 run for the 15-point victory.

Gibbs was sensation for the Mount, hitting 11-of-19 from the field and 6-of-12 from three-point range en route to his 30-point effort.  He is the first Mountaineer to score 30 points in a game since Junior Robinson scored 30 at Sacred Heart on Feb. 17, 2018.  Morse scored 10 of his 14 points in the second half in a solid effort for the Mountaineers as well.  Morse finished the game with 14 points and a season-high six rebounds.  Chong Qui chipped in nine points, four rebounds and three assists while Habwe stuffed the stat sheet with eight points, seven rebounds, five assists and five steals.  Adams led Wilson with 16 points and nine rebounds while Powell finished the contest with 14 points.

Mount St. Mary's shot 45.9 percent in the game, including 10-of-30 (.333) from three-point range.  Wilson shot 40.7 percent overall, and 8-of-27 (.296) from beyond the arc.  The Mount forced Wilson into 18 turnovers while holding a 41-to-33 edge on the boards.

The Mount is back in action on Tuesday, Dec. 18, with a 7:00 p.m. game at American.