Posted: Nov 17, 2018
MOUNT ST. MARY'S (0-3) at MARYLAND (4-0)
Sunday, November 18, 2018, 4:00 p.m.
XFinity Center, College Park, Md.
- Mount St. Mary's fell to 0-3 on the season with a 98-75 loss at Marshall on Wednesday. Jalen Gibbs tallied 17 points and seven rebounds for the Mount while freshman Malik Jefferson added his first career double-double with 15 points and 14 boards. Fellow freshman Nana Opoku added a season-high 14 points on 5-of-5 shooting. The Mount shot 51.9 percent in the game while holding a 39-32 edge on the boards. Marshall was 19-of-45 from three-point range and scored 33 points off 24 Mountaineer turnovers in the contest.
- Freshman Malik Jefferson recorded his first career double-double with 15 points and 14 rebounds at Marshall on Wednesday. The 14 rebounds are the most by a Mount freshman since Melvin Whitaker pulled down 14 boards against Quinnipiac on Jan. 28, 1999.
- The Mount has a pair of freshmen starting in the frontcourt. The duo of Nana Opoku and Malik Jefferson had their best combined performance of the season at Marshall on Wednesday. The pair combined for 29 points and 17 rebounds on 12-of-14 shooting in the game. For the year, the duo is averaging 15.6 points and 12.0 rebounds per game.
- Sophomore Jalen Gibbs is averaging 20.7 points and 7.0 rebounds this season. Gibbs has led the Mount in scoring in each of the team's three games, including a season-high 24 points at NC State in the opener. Gibbs is shooting 56.1 percent from the floor and is 7-of-13 (.538) from three-point range this season.
- The Mount has gotten off to quick starts in each of the past two games. The Mount held a 16-to-1 lead at Hofstra on Nov. 9. At Marshall, the Mount raced to early 9-to-2 and 16-to-8 advantages on Wednesday.
- Up next, the Mount hosts North Carolina A&T for its home opener on Wednesday, November 21, at 5:00 p.m. at Knott Arena. For ticket information, call 301-447-5700.