Mount St. Mary's Edges Delaware, 84-82, on Pair of Junior Robinson Free Throws in Charity Exhibition Game

Mount St. Mary's Edges Delaware, 84-82, on Pair of Junior Robinson Free Throws in Charity Exhibition Game

Emmitsburg, Md. (November 1, 2017)--Junior Robinson (Mebane, N.C.) hit a pair of free throws with 2.1 seconds remaining in overtime to lift Mount St. Mary's past Delaware, 84-82, in a charity exhibition game at Knott Arena on Wednesday night.  Robinson finished the contest with a game-high 27 points while adding eight assists.  The game was played to raise awareness and financial support for hurricane relief efforts with all proceeds from the game being donated to Catholic Relief Services to aid Hurricane relief efforts in Puerto Rico.

After Delaware's Ryan Allen hit a three-pointer to tie the score at 82-82 with 20 seconds left in overtime, Robinson had the ball at the top of the key with the clock running down.  He was tripped as he drove to the basket, and calmly sank both free throws with 2.1 seconds on the clock for a two-point lead.  Allen's desperation shot from about 30 feet at the buzzer was off the mark, allowing the Mount to secure the win.

Robinson scored eight of his 27 points in the overtime period.  He finished the game 7-for-20 from the field, 4-of-8 from three-point range, and 9-of-14 at the foul line.  He added a game-high eight assists in 39 minutes of action.  Redshirt freshman Jonah Antonio (Perth Australia) added 18 points, hitting 6-of-13 from three-point range in the victory.  Senior Greg Alexander (Hampton, Va.) chipped in 16 points and seven boards off the bench.  Freshman Bobby Planutis (Hazelton, Pa.) added eight points and eight rebounds with fellow freshman Donald Carey (Upper Marlboro, Md.) adding seven points, five assists and three boards.

The Mount held a 69-64 lead with just under two minutes remaining in regulation after a Planutis basket off an offensive rebound.  The Blue Hens countered with a pair of free throws from Jacob Cushing and Eric Carter to cut the Mount advantage to 69-68.  Robinson was then fouled with 29 seconds left, but he missed both free throws, allowing Delaware a chance to gain the lead.  On the ensuing possession, Ryan Daly drove the lane, and converted a traditional three-point play for a 71-69 led with 16 seconds left.  The Mount was able to force overtime when Robinson made a nifty pass to Planutis for a lay-up with two seconds left in regulation.

Carter paced Delaware with 20 points while Daly chipped in a double-double of 18 points and 12 rebounds in 44 minutes of action.  Allen added 19 points and Kevin Anderson 12 in the loss.

The Mount shot 45.9 percent in the game, including 14-of-36 (.389) from three-point range.  Mount St. Mary's had 17 assists and just six turnovers in the contest.  Delaware shot 40.0 percent overall, but was 12-of-23 (.522) from beyond the arc.  The Blue Hens held a 41-to-36 edge on the boards.

Delaware led the entire first half, taking its biggest lead, 22-14, with 5:56 remaining.  The Mount's Antonio then hit back-to-back three-pointers to cut the deficit to 22-20.  The Blue Hens pushed the lead back to seven, but three-pointers from Robinson and Antonio in the final two minutes helped the Mount bring the deficit to 32-31 at the break.

Mount St. Mary's hosts Hood College on Saturday, November 4, in an exhibition game at Knott Arena.  Tip-off for the game is slated for 4:00 p.m.  The Mount's regular season opener is at Marquette on Friday, November 10.