No. 5 MOUNT ST. MARY'S (18-13) at No. 3 LIU BROOKLYN (19-13)
Tuesday, March 12, 2013, 7 pm
Wellness Center, Brooklyn, N.Y.
* Rashad Whack scored 26 points to lead Mount St. Mary's to a 69-60 win at top-seeded Robert Morris in the NEC Semifinals on Saturday. Leading 35-27 early in the second half, the Mount went on a 12-2 run to take a 47-29 advantage. Sam Prescott had an and-one on a fast break, and Rashad Whack a breakaway lay-up after a steal to cap the streak. The Mount extended the lead to 20 points before Robert Morris rallied to cut it to six points in the final minute. The Mount, however, sealed the win by going 7-for-10 at the foul line in the final minute.
* Mount St. Mary's is riding a nine-game win streak heading into the Northeast Conference Championship game. It is the third-longest win streak by a Mount team since the school moved to NCAA Division I in 1988-89.
* This will be the Mount's fifth appearance in the Northeast Conference Championship game, and the school's third over the past six years. The Mount is 3-1 all-time in the championship game, winning the title in 1995, 1999 and 2008. The Mount lost in the final in 2009.
* The Mount is looking to become the first team in NEC history to win the NEC Tournament as the #5 seed. In addition, no team in NEC history has won three straight road games to win the title. The Mount already is the lowest seed (#6 in 1999) and second-lowest seed (#4 in 2000) to win the NEC Tournament.
* Rashad Whack poured in 26 points in the Mount's 69-60 win over Robert Morris in the NEC semifinals. It is Whack's fifth game this year with 20 or more points, and the 13th time this season a Mount player has scored 20+ in a game. Whack leads with five 20-point games, while Shivaughn Wiggins (4), Julian Norfleet (3) and Sam Prescott (1) are the others.