Julian Norfleet Hits Three-Pointer with 0.6 Seconds Left to Lift Mount Past Monmouth, 56-54

Julian Norfleet Hits Three-Pointer with 0.6 Seconds Left to Lift Mount Past Monmouth, 56-54

Emmitsburg, Md. (February 3, 2011)-Freshman Julian Norfleet drilled a three-pointer from the right corner with 0.6 seconds left to lift Mount St. Mary's past Monmouth, 56-54, in Northeast Conference action on Thursday night.

Monmouth's Marcus Ware scored in the lane with 17 seconds left to give the Hawks (6-17, 2-9 NEC) a 54-53 advantage. After Mount St. Mary's called a timeout, the Mount got the ball to Lamar Trice who penetrated the lane and kicked it out to Norfleet in the corner for the game-winning shot.

Mount St. Mary's (8-16, 6-5 NEC) used a 7-0 run midway through the second half to take its biggest lead of the game, 50-42, with 10:32 left. Norfleet started the run with a three-pointer ahead of a Jacolby Wells jumper in the lane. Shawn Atupem finished the spurt with a bucket in the paint.

From there, Monmouth held the Mount to just three points until Norfleet's game-winning shot. The Hawks used a 12-to-3 run to grab a 54-53 advantage on Ware's shot with 17.0 seconds left.

Trice finished with a game-high 15 points while dishing out four assists. Norfleet added nine points while David Golladay and Josh Castellanos chipped in six points each for the Mountaineers.

Mike Myers Keitt tallied a game-high 16 points for Monmouth while R.J. Rutledge scored 12 and Ware 11 in the loss.

The Mountaineers held Monmouth to 38.6 percent shooting in the game while converting 45.7 percent from the floor. Monmouth held a 33-to-25 margin on the boards while each team committed 12 turnovers in the contest.

In the opening half, Monmouth pulled out to a 21-12 on the strength of a 10-0 run that was capped by a Rutledge three-pointer.

Mount St. Mary's was able to fight back, hitting three three-pointers in the final minute of the half to grab a 28-26 lead at the break. Castellanos started the run of trifectas with a three with 1:04 left to cut the deficit to 26-to-22. Trice then converted back-to-back threes, including one at the first-half buzzer to give the Mount the lead.

Norfleet's last-second game-winning shot was the first by a Mount player since Landy Thompson hit a shot at the buzzer in a 54-53 win at Navy on Dec. 27, 2003. The Mount improved to 4-1 at home in NEC games and is now 23-3 over its past 26 games against NEC opponents. The Mount has won six straight against Monmouth to take a 30-21 lead in the all-time series.

The Mountaineers return to action on Saturday, February 5, with a 7:00 p.m. game against Fairleigh Dickinson.

Video has no source Url in style="width: 640px; height: 390px;" classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" width="100" height="100" codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=6,0,40,0">
Mount Edged at Niagara, 65-63
November 23, 2010 Mount Edged at Niagara, 65-63
Men's Basketball Adds One
August 30, 2010 Men's Basketball Adds One