Mount Edged by Quinnipiac, 77-75, on Late Basket

Mount Edged by Quinnipiac, 77-75, on Late Basket

Hamden, Conn. (December 4, 2010)-A James Johnson steal and fast-break lay-up with 0.5 seconds left gave Quinnipiac a 77-75 victory over Mount St. Mary's on Saturday afternoon.

Trailing 69-67 with 3:40 left in the game, the Mount scored the next six points to grab a 73-69 advantage. Shawn Atupem hit a jumper to knot the score at 69-69 and Julian Norfleet calmly sank a pair of free throws with 2:31 on the clock to give the Mount a 71-69 lead.

After the Mount (3-5, 1-1 NEC) got a stop on the next possession, Danny Thompson converted a drive to the basket to make it 73-69 with 1:38 left. On the next possession, Johnson drained a contested three-pointer as the shot clock was about to expire to cut the Mount lead to 73-72.

Atupem scored on a strong move in the post for the Mount to make it 75-72, but Johnson countered with a three-pointer from the right wing with 27 seconds left to even the score.

On the Mount's final possession, Johnson forced a turnover, took possession of the ball, and converted his length of the court drive with 0.5 seconds on the clock to give Quinnipiac (5-2, 1-0 NEC) the win.

Lamar Trice led with 17 points off the bench to pace four Mountaineers in double figures. Norfleet chipped in 16 points while Atupem added 15 points and six rebounds. Thompson added career highs of 12 points and eight rebounds for the Mount.

The Mountaineers were playing without starting forward Raven Barber, who did not dress due to the flu. Barber joined injured forwards Pierre Brown and Kristijan Krajina on the sideline. Senior Tayvon Jackson started in Barber's place, making his first collegiate start.

Johnson scored Quinnipiac's final eight points of the game and finished with a game-high 25. Justin Rutty added 24 and 10 rebounds while Jamee Jackson chipped in 11 points and eight boards for the Bobcats.

The Mount hit 31-of-57 (.544) from field in the game while hitting 10-of-12 (.833) at the foul line. Quinnipiac made 30-of-63 (.476) from the floor and was 12-for-22 (.545) at the line.

In the first half, the Mount used a 7-0 run to take a 28-24 advantage with just over five minutes left in the opening half. Atupem started the run with a bucket, followed by a Jackson shot in the lane. Norfleet then drained a three-pointer to give the Mount a four-point advantage.

The Bobcats answered with five consecutive points from James Johnson and held a 34-32 lead after a Mike Gabriel basket with 2:35 left in the half. On the ensuing possession, Trice drilled a three-pointer from the top of the key and was fouled on the play. He hit the free throw for the four-point play.

Danny Thompson added back-to-back jump shots and Jackson hit a shot in the lane on a feed from Golladay to give the Mountaineers a 42-37 halftime advantage.

Mount St. Mary's shot 19-of-32 (.594) from the floor in the first half while the Bobcats were 13-of-13 (.406). Quinnipiac was 9-of-12 at the charity stripe in the first half while the Mount's only free throw was Trice's make on the four-point play.

Trice led the Mount with 12 points and four assists in the first half while Norfleet chipped in 10 points. Johnson scored 12 points in the opening half to lead the Bobcats.

The Mount returns to action on Tuesday night with a 7:30 p.m. game at Penn State.

Mount Edged at Niagara, 65-63
November 23, 2010 Mount Edged at Niagara, 65-63
Men's Basketball Adds One
August 30, 2010 Men's Basketball Adds One