Emmitsburg, Md (November 10, 2018) - The Mount St. Mary's women's rugby team held off Sacred Heart for a 22-15 win for the NIRA Tier II Championship. In just the second year as a division one program, the Mountaineers brought home the NIRA Tier II Championship trophy on Saturday afternoon. Mount freshman Ubaida Ahmed was awarded the Most Valuable Player of the match. Ahmed led Mount St. Mary's in tackles on the day and scored a try late in the first half. Graduate student Julie Crochet led the Mountaineers on offense with two tries scored in the win.
Mount St. Mary's 22, Sacred Heart 15
Emmitsburg, Md. | Echo Field
Mount St. Mary's 6-3 (5-2 NIRA), Sacred Heart 5-4 (5-3 NIRA)
HOW IT HAPPENED
- After a scoreless ten minutes to begin the match, Isabel Cuddy broke free off of a scrum down the right side of the pitch to give Sacred Heart the early 5-0 lead.
- Mount St. Mary's evened the match at 5 a piece after Julie Crochet split the defense and took off for a big run.
- The Pioneers and Mountaineers traded tries towards the end of the first half. Cuddy touched the ball down for her second try of half and Ubaida Ahmed scored a try after a long run to tie the match at 10-10. Mount freshman Maya Grassi converted the kick after to put Mount St. Mary's ahead 12-10 at the end of the first half.
- Two minutes into the second half, Sacred Heart nabbed the lead again 15-12 after Kaitlin Lagase powered her away a crossed the touch line.
- The Mountaineers answered the Pioneers score with two tries of their own midway through the second half to take the 22-15 advantage. Graduate student Lauren Judkins found a whole in the defense and scored a try up the middle of the pitch and Crochet scored her second try of the match shortly after Judkins' try.
- Solid defense from the Mount kept Sacred Heart scoreless for the remainder of the match to preserve the 22-15 win.
The Mount St. Mary's women's rugby team will look to continue the success they built in the 15's season as they move into the spring 7's season.