opening tip... Sunday's game between Mount St. Mary's and Seton Hall marks the second meeting in the all-time series dating back to the 2000-01 season.
• The Pirates defeated the Mount 71-68 in the opening round of the Pathmark Hawk Classic in Philadelphia, Pa., on Dec. 29, 2000.
• Sunday's meeting will be the first tilt between the two teams in South Orange, N.J.
about the pirates... Seton Hall comes into the contest 3-6 after falling 64-63 at Wake Forest on Dec. 8.
• Redshirt sophomore G Ka-Diedre Simmons paced the Pirates with 18 points against the Demon Deacons. Simmons recorded a team-high 14 points in a 71-55 loss against South Dakota on Nov. 24. The redshirt sophomore ranks second on the team with 8.8 points and 3.0 rebounds per game.
• Junior F Janee Johnson added 14 points against Wake Forest. Johnson is averaging 4.4 points and 5.0 rebounds per game this season.
• Senior G Brittany Morris registered 12 points against the Demon Deacons. The senior posted 23 points in a 60-54 win against Lafayette on Nov. 11. Morris leads the team with 12.2 points and 3.2 rebounds per game.
• Freshman F Tabitha Richardson-Smith ranks third on the team with 6.9 points and 3.6 rebounds per game off the bench. The freshman scored 19 points in a 57-48 victory against Siena on Nov. 28.
last time we met... Seton Hall rallied from a seven-point deficit in the second half to down Mount St. Mary's 71-68 on Dec. 29, 2000 in the opening round of the Pathmark Hawk Classic. The Pirates closed the game on a 17-7 run in the final nine minutes and 31 seconds to come away with the win. Deanna Butters paced the Mount with 21 points and 11 rebounds while Lauren Kokotajlo added 16 points and Kia Williams chipped in 13 points. Arminda Moreno (18 points), Cecilia Lindqvist (15 points) and Naimah Smith (14 points) each found double figures for Seton Hall.
up against the big east... Mount St. Mary's is 6-23 all-time against teams currently associated with the Big East teams and 0-21 since switching to Division I in 1988-89.
• The Mount has played Cincinnati (0-1), Georgetown (5-11), Notre Dame (1-0), St. John's (0-2), Seton Hall (0-1), Pittsburgh (0-5) and Villanova (0-3).
• All five of the Mountaineers wins against Georgetown came prior to 1988-89 and the win against the Irish was in 1981.
• Seton Hall starts a two-game Big East road trip for the Mount. The Mountaineers will travel to Pittsburgh on Thursday. It will be the sixth time in the last seven years the Mount will face Pitt.
• It marks the fifth time in program history the Mount will compete against two Big East programs in a campaign. The squad faced Georgetown and West Virginia in 1994-95, the Hoyas and Pittsburgh in 2006-07, the Panthers and Cincinnati in 2010-11 and Pittsburgh and West Virginia last season.
quick hits on the navy game... Redshirt sophomore Jacqueline Brewer scored a career-high 16 points to lead Mount St. Mary's past Navy, the Patriot League Preseason favorite, 53-45 on Dec. 8.
• Brewer, who has started the last two games, is averaging 12.0 points, 4.5 rebounds and 3.0 steals per game in that stretch. The redshirt sophomore, a transfer from Virginia Commonwealth, surpassed the 14-point career high she had with the Rams.
• Redshirt junior Sydney Henderson added 10 points and six rebounds against the Midshipmen. Henderson has posted double figures in points and at least six rebounds in five of the seven games this season. She is averaging 15.8 points and 7.3 rebounds per game in her last four contests.
• Junior Jessie Kaufman tallied seven points and 10 rebounds against Navy. It was the junior's first career double-digit rebound performance. The Mount has had a player reach 10 rebounds in a game eight times in the last 40 games, but Kaufman is only the second post player to reach the plateau in that stretch. Junior Rachel Mathews had 12 boards against Wagner on Feb. 15, 2012 while the only six 10-rebound performances come from guards senior Selina Mann, redshirt junior Sydney Henderson and junior Ashley Christie.
next on tap... The Mount will conclude its two-game Big East swing and play its final game before Christmas at Pittsburgh on Thursday.
• After the road trip, the squad will end the non-conference slate at home against American (Dec. 30) and Lehigh (Jan. 2).
• The Mount opens Northeast Conference play at home against Fairleigh Dickinson and Monmouth in the first weekend of January.
• After playing four of its first five at home, the Mountaineers are in the midst of six of their next eight at Knott Arena.
guard up... Mount St. Mary's has been led by its guard play on the boards for the last two seasons.
• Senior Selina Mann paced the Mount with 5.0 rebounds per game last season and is second on the team in caroms with 5.4 rebounds per game this season.
• Redshirt junior Sydney Henderson leads the team with 6.9 rebounds per game and has grabbed at least seven rebounds four times this season.
• The duo has combined for six double-doubles in their career and are the only players on the roster to notch the trick.
• The last time a forward had a double-double on the team was Mary Dunn (18 points, 12 rebounds) against Saint Francis (Pa.) on Jan. 10, 2011.
on the road... The Mount is 1-3 this season on the road and have lost two straight.
• Redshirt junior Sydney Henderson is averaging 18.8 points and 5.8 rebounds per game away from Knott Arena. She has reached double figures in three of the four road games this season, including three straight. Henderson is averaging 23.3 points and 6.3 rebounds per game in her last three road tilts, including posting 30 points against Rider on Nov. 16.
• Junior Kayla Grossett is second on the team with 9.8 points and 3.0 rebounds per game on the road. Grossett recorded 17 points against Maryland on Nov. 9 and 14 points against the Broncs.
• The Mount is averaging 53.0 points per game and shooting 33.6 percent from the field on the road while allowing 71.8 points per game and 46.9 percent to the opponent away from Emmitsburg.
in the last five... Redshirt junior Sydney Henderson is averaging 13.8 points and 7.2 rebounds per game in her last five games.
• Henderson has reached double-figures four times in that stretch, including 21 points at Howard on Nov. 25. The junior has also hauled in at least six rebounds in four of her last five games, including tying a career-high with 12 boards against UMES on Dec. 5.
• Junior Jessie Kaufman ranks second with 11.0 points and 5.2 rebounds per game in that span. Kaufman has four 10+ games in her last five games, including 24 points against Campbell on Nov. 19.
• The Mount is 2-3 in its last five games after winning two consecutive games for the first time this year.
ain't the brew cold... Redshirt sophomore Jacqueline Brewer was averaging 2.6 points and 1.4 rebounds per game in 49 minutes in the first five games of the season.
• Brewer entered the starting lineup for the last two games and is averaging 12.0 points, 4.5 rebounds and 3.0 steals per game in that stretch.
• Brewer posted eight points, five rebounds, five assists and three steals against UMES on Dec. 5 and then tallied 16 points, four rebounds, two assists, three steals and her first career block against Navy on Dec. 8.
• Brewer, a transfer from Virginia Commonwealth, sat out last season due to NCAA Division I transfer regulations, but has surpassed her Rams career highs in points, rebounds, assists, steals and blocks in her last two games.
looking to a lead at the break... Mount St. Mary's has not gone into the locker room with the lead this season.
• In the first seven games, the opponent has led at the break six times and ended even once. The squad rallied from a 39-31 deficit to at the intermission to defeat Rider 70-67.
• The squad trailed by six points or more in the first five games of the season. The squad went into the break tied against UMES on Dec. 5 and then trailed 23-20 against Navy on Dec. 8.
• Mount St. Mary's is 39-16 when it leads at halftime, 14-77 when it trails at the break and 4-3 when the teams go into the locker room tied.
the board story... Mount St. Mary's is 2-0 this season when it has the advantage in rebounds and is 1-4 when the opponent has held the edge.
• The Mount is 24-19 when it holds the advantage off the glass, but 31-73 when the opponents have more rebounds and 2-5 when the teams end tied in boards.
conference honors for henderson... Redshirt junior Sydney Henderson was named the Northeast Conference Choice Hotels Co-Player of the Week for the week of Nov. 12-18. It is the redshirt junior's first conference honor.
• Henderson posted a career-high 30 points and scored the game-winning basket with 42 seconds left to lift the Mount past Rider 70-67 on Nov. 16. The redshirt junior shot 9-for-15 from the floor, 6 of 8 from behind the arc and 6 of 7 from the foul line for her 30 points. She stuffed the stat sheet by adding eight rebounds, four steals and three assists in 40 minutes on her way to career highs in points, field goals, 3-point field goals, free throws, steals and minutes played. Henderson scored nine of the Mount's final 16 points to help the Mountaineers to their first win of the season.
• It marks the 19th time a Mount player has been named the NEC Player of the Week dating back to the 1997-98 season and the first time since Gauthier earned the honor for the final week of the 2009 regular season.
first to 30 for henderson... Redshirt junior Sydney Henderson notched her first career 30-point performance against Rider on Nov. 16.
• It was the third time under head coach Bryan Whitten a Mount player has posted 30 points in a game. The squad is 3-0 when a player hits 30 points in a contest.
• Henderson became the first Mount player to post 30 points in a game since current assistant coach Brianna Gauthier scored 32 points against Bryant on Mar. 2, 2009. It was also the first time a Mount player scored 30 points on the road since Dominique Mazzuchi had 30 points against Central Connecticut State on Jan. 12, 2008.
• It also marked the first 30-point performance in non-conference play since Myriam Baccouche had 36 points against Radford on Nov. 21, 2003.
• It is the 29th time in Mount Division I history a Mount player scored 30 points in a game and the 13th different player to accomplish the feat.
a career night... Redshirt junior Sydney Henderson posted a career-high 30 points against Rider on Nov. 16. She established a new career best 10 months to the day after she had a career-high 25 points against Central Connecticut State last season.
• Sophomore Jenn Carney scored a career-high eight points against Campbell on Nov. 16.
• Redshirt sophomore Jacqueline Brewer recorded a career-best 16 points against Navy on Dec. 8.
preseason poll… The Mount St. Mary's women's basketball team has been picked seventh in the Northeast Conference (NEC) Preseason Coaches Poll. Quinnipiac picked up seven of the 12 first-place votes to be tabbed as the preseason favorite. The defending NEC regular season and tournament champions Sacred Heart Pioneers nabbed four first-place votes to finish second in the poll while Monmouth secured the final first-place nod to finish third in the poll. Saint Francis (Pa.), Robert Morris, LIU Brooklyn, the Mount, Central Connecticut State, Bryant, Fairleigh Dickinson, St. Francis Brooklyn and Wagner round out the 12-team poll. Bryant, who just completed its five-year transition to Division I, will be eligible for the NEC Tournament for the first time in 2012-13.
in the non-conference slate... Mount St. Mary's is 82-125 in non-conference games since joining the Northeast Conference in 1989-90.
aye, aye captain… Senior Selina Mann, redshirt junior Sydney Henderson and junior Ashley Christie have been named team captains for the 2012-13 season.
• Mann was also a team captain last season.
man oh mann, selina... Mount St. Mary's can pretty much count on getting five from senior Selina Mann every game. The only question is will it be five points, five rebounds, five assists or five steals?
• Mann has posted a five spot in one of those categories in 71 of the 91 games.
• The senior has posted a five spot in two of those categories 23 times; 12 times in three categories and eight times in four different categories.
• She has scored five points 48 times in her career, including 18 two-digit performances and a pair of 20-point performances.
• The 5-4 guard has posted five rebounds 34 times in her career, including four 10-board performances.
• Mann has dished out five assists 31 times in her career including a career-high 10 assists against Wagner on Feb. 11, 2012.
• The senior has registered five steals in a game 18 times in her career, including establishing a new program record with 11 steals against Fairleigh Dickinson on Feb. 18, 2012.
• Mann leads the team with four double-doubles. She has two points-rebounds tricks, one points-steals and one rebounds-assists double-double. She is only the third player in Mount Division I history with a double-double that includes steals. The junior recorded 10 points and 10 rebounds against American on Nov. 18.
• The senior is only the second player in team history to record a 10 spot in points, rebounds, assists or steals in a game in her career. Kim Rhock is the only other player to accomplish this feat.
mann making a move in the record book… Senior Selina Mann is making a move in the Mount's career record book.
• The senior ranks fifth in career steals with 273 thefts. She needs six steals to move into fourth place on the all-time list.
• Mann has moved up two spots since the start of the season in assists and now sits in eighth place with 342 helpers. She can jump to seventh with 21 helpers.
• She will also have a chance to break the Top-10 in career games played. She comes into the contest with 91 games played and needs 12 games played to crack the Top-10.
sydney on the rise and not down under... Redshirt junior Sydney Henderson has scored double figures in 20 of her last 35 games.
• Henderson is averaging 13.9 points per game in that stretch and has registered 18 points or more eight times in that span.
• She has three 20-point games and a 30-point performance in that stretch.
• Henderson posted a career-high 30 points against Rider on Nov. 16.
• The redshirt junior has two career double-doubles, including 13 points and 12 rebounds against UMES on Dec. 5. She now has three 10+ rebounds games to her credit.
• Henderson has posted double figures 28 times in her career, including three 20-point performances and one 30-point game.
no cough for kaufman... Junior Jessie Kaufman has started the last 16 of the last 17 games and is averaging 11.4 points per game in that stretch.
• Kaufman registered at least nine points in 12 of those games, including 10 double-digit performances in that stretch.
• Kaufman notched a career-high 25 points against Fairleigh Dickinson on Feb 18, 2012.
• She has posted double figures 17 times in her career, including two 20-point performances.
• Kaufman recorded a career-best 10 rebounds against Navy on Dec. 8.
all-conference returning… Senior Selina Mann was named to the All-Northeast Conference second team as a junior.
• Mann paced the Mount in rebounding (4.9 rpg.), assists (139) and steals (114) while averaging 6.0 points per game.
• In league play, she ranked second in steals (3.93 spg.), third in assist-to-turnover ratio (1.60), fourth in assists (4.79 apg.), 10th in minute played (32.72) and 12th in free throw percentage (.761) in the NEC. In addition, Mann ranks third in the nation in steals.
in the league... The Mount is 256-150 in Northeast Conference play, including 147-60 at Knott Arena and 109-90 on the road.
home sweet home... In its 26th season at Knott Arena, Mount St. Mary's has posted a 220-108 overall mark, including 76-46 in non-conference play and 144-62 in league play since moving across Route 15 from Memorial Gym.
in the month... Mount St. Mary's is 111-92 in the month of December in program history. The Mount is 55-26 at home, 44-49 on the road and 12-17 at a neutral site in the month.
• The Mountaineers are 57-82 in December since switching to Division I in 1988-89. The team is 28-22 at Knott Arena, 20-45 on the road and 9-15 at a neutral site.
• Under head coach Bryan Whitten, the Mount is 11-22 overall, 6-6 at home, 5-14 on the road and 0-1 at a neutral site in the month.
• Mount St. Mary's played its first-ever contest in program history in the month of December, falling to Loyola 60-31 on Dec. 4, 1974.
hearing your name called at the start... Head coach Bryan Whitten has only had 21 players start in his six-year tenure at the Mount.
• Senior Selina Mann has started 65 of the 91 games that she has played, but has been in the starting lineup for 63 of the last 64 games.
• Redshirt junior Sydney Henderson started 46 of the 63 games she has played.
• Junior Ashley Christie has started 55 of 58 games in her collegiate career.
• Junior Rachel Mathews has started 27 games in her career while fellow junior Jessie Kaufman has been in the starting lineup 26 times.
• Senior Tara Lonergan has started 20 games in her career.
• Junior Kayla Grossett has started eight games in her career and sophomore Jenn Carney earned her first career start against Maryland in the season opener on Nov. 9 and started the first three games this season.
• Redshirt sophomore Jacqueline Brewer was the latest to join the starting lineup when she started against UMES on Dec. 5 and has started the last two games.
let's play to 60 points... Mount St. Mary's is most successful under head coach Bryan Whitten when it scores 60 points in a game or holds the opponent under that total.
• The Mount is 34-25 when it scores 60 points in a game, but 23-72 when it does not reach 60 points.
• Defensively, the Mountaineers are 42-31 when the opponents are held under 60 points and 14-66 when the opponent reaches 60 points.
three keys to whitten success... The Mount is most successful under head coach Bryan Whitten when the squad leads at halftime, in rebounding or keeps the opponent under 60 points.
• The Mount is 40-16 when he holds the lead at halftime, 4-3 when the game is tied, but just 13-78 when trailing at the break.
• The squad is 24-19 when it holds a rebounding edge in a game, but just 31-73 when the opponent has the advantage and 2-5 when the two teams have equal boards.
• Mount St. Mary's is 42-31 when it holds opponents under 60 points.
hitting 20 points in a game... Senior Selina Mann, redshirt junior Sydney Henderson and juniors Ashley Christie, Kayla Grossett and Jessie Kaufman have each recorded a 20-point game in their career.
• Henderson has four 20-point performances and a 30-point game in her career, including a career-high 30 points against Rider on Nov. 16, 2012. The redshirt junior has recorded 20 or more points twice this season.
• Kaufman has a pair of 20-point games in her career, including 24 points this season against Campbell on Nov. 19. She notched a career-high 25 against Fairleigh Dickinson on Feb. 18, 2012.
• Mann has scored 20 points twice in her career, including 20 points against UMES on Dec. 5.
• Grossett registered a career-best 21 points against Quinnipiac on Jan. 30, 2012.
• Christie posted a career-high 21 points against Fairleigh Dickinson on Feb. 5, 2011.
• The Mount has registered 28 20-point performances and three 30-point games under head coach Bryan Whitten. The squad is 15-13 when a player reaches 20 points and 3-0 when a player scores 30 in a contest.
new to the mountain... Head coach Bryan Whitten added two players to his 2012-13 team. Freshmen Jody Chickey and Jayla Leftwich joined the team this season.
• In addition, after sitting out last season red shirt sophomore Jacqueline Brewer will be eligible to play this year. Brewer played at Virginia Commonwealth in 2010-11 as a freshman.
northeast conference history... Mount St. Mary's has made the Northeast Conference Tournament in 21 of the 23 years since the Mount joined the circuit.
• Mount St. Mary's is 17-18 in the NEC Tournament.
• The Mountaineers have not won a tournament game since a 50-45 win against Sacred Heart on Mar. 4, 2001.
• Mount St. Mary's won tournaments in 1992-93, 1993-94 and 1994-95, including earning the league's first two NCAA Division I bids.
the underlining whit... Head coach Bryan Whitten is in his sixth season at the Mount. The Mount is 57-97 overall under Whitten. He is 277-200 in 18 seasons at a head coach at King's College and the Mount.
• The Mount is 30-40 overall at Knott Arena and 21-25 in NEC play under Whitten.
• The Mountaineers on the road are 27-57 overall mark away from Emmitsburg and 14-30 in league play.
• Whitten picked up his first Mount win with a 55-51 decision at Lafayette on Nov. 17, 2007 and earned his 25th career in at Lafayette on Nov. 30, 2009.
• Whitten earned his 250th win of his career against Quinnipiac on Jan. 30, 2010.
foreign flavor... Mount St. Mary's has one international players on the roster in 2012-13.
• Junior Kayla Grossett (Canada) is the fifth international player at the Mount.
• Grossett follows Katie Walton (Canada, 1998-02), Dita Krumberga (Latvia, 2004-07), Leah Westbrooks (Ireland, 2007-11) and Sandra Andresson (Estonia, 2008-12).
new additions to the coaching staff... Head coach Bryan Whitten added Josh Keys and Brian Martin to his coaching staff for the 2012-13 season.
• Keys, a 2007 graduate of Liberty, comes to the Mount after spending one season at Stetson last season.
• Martin, a 1994 graduate of West Virginia, begins his first season as Director of Basketball Operations after serving as an assistant coach at Hood College last season.