Women's Basketball Concludes Bison Road Trip At Bucknell On Wednesday
opening tip... Wednesday's game between Mount St. Mary's and Bucknell marks the seventh meeting in the all-time series dating back to the 1989-90 season.
• The Mount has won all six meetings in the series, including a 58-46 decision last season in Emmitsburg.
• The Mountaineers and the Bison played every year from 1990-94 and then stopped the matchup before the series was renewed last season in Emmitsburg.
about the bison... Bucknell comes into the contest 3-2 after defeating Morgan State 72-64 on Sunday.
• Senior G Alyssa Dunn paced the Bison with 15 points against the Bears. Dunn scored 23 points in a 77-69 victory against Niagara on Nov. 21. The senior leads the team with 15.6 points and 3.8 rebounds per game.
• Junior G Shelby Romine added 14 points on Sunday. Romine recorded 21 points in the season-opening 71-62 loss at Xavier on Nov. 10. The junior is second on the team with 12.6 points and 4.2 rebounds per game.
• Senior F Felicia Mgbada narrowly missed a double-double after finishing with 13 points and nine rebounds on Sunday. The senior recorded 11 points in a 59-50 win against Canisius on Nov. 17. Mgbada is fourth on the squad with 7.8 points and 6.2 rebounds per game.
• Sophomore F Audrey Dotson also narrowly missed a double-double against the Bears with nine points and 11 rebounds. Dotson is averaging 7.0 points and 8.2 rebounds per game.
last time we met... Tara Lonergan made the most of her second start of the season, posting 12 points, seven rebounds and three blocks to lift Mount St. Mary's past Bucknell 58-46 Dec. 31, 2011. Sydney Henderson added 11 points and Kayla Grossett chipped in 10 points off the bench. Rachel Voss paced the Bison with 13 points and Alyssa Dunn posted 11 points in the loss.
quick hits on the howard game... Howard defeated Mount St. Mary's 77-52 on Sunday.
• Redshirt junior Sydney Henderson paced the Mount with 21 points and eight rebounds. It was the redshirt junior's second 20+ performance this season after scoring a career-high 30 points against Rider on Nov. 16. Henderson has posted at least four rebounds in every game and has a seven-rebound game and two eight-board games to her credit this season. She leads the team with 15.5 points and 6.8 rebounds per game.
• Junior Jessie Kaufman added 12 points against the Bison for her second-straight double-figure performance. Kaufman missed her career high by one point after scoring 24 points against Campbell on Nov. 21. The junior ranks second on the team with 12.5 points and 4.0 rebounds per game.
• Senior Selina Mann registered three points, four rebounds, three assists and two steals on Sunday. The senior is two assists away from tying assistant coach Brianna Gauthier for ninth place on the program's all-time career helper list with 334. Mann is also six steals away from moving into fifth place on the career steals list with 269 thefts.
• Sophomore Melanie Mocniak notched her first collegiate point on a free throw with 10:03 left in the second half. The sophomore played a career-high 16 minutes in the contest.
1-3 again... For the second-straight year the Mount has started the season 1-3.
• After the Mount started last season 1-3, the team went 4-1 over the next five games to improve to 5-4 on the year.
• The squad played its first four games on the road last year while it had three of four on the road in 2012-13.
• The Mountaineers finished the 2011 portion of the 2011-12 schedule 6-6 after defeating Bucknell 58-46 on Dec. 6.
• Mount St. Mary's finished 14-16 overall last season and 10-8 in Northeast Conference play.
next on tap... The Mount returns home to host UMES on Dec. 5 and Navy on Dec. 8.
• After playing four of its first five games on the road, the Mountaineers will play six of its next eight at Knott Arena.
• The squad will hit the road for a two-game Big East trip after the two games in Emmitsburg to start the month of December and then will return home after the Christmas holiday for four-straight at home.
on the road... The Mount is 1-2 on the road this season.
• Redshirt junior Sydney Henderson has posted both of her double-digit performances this season on the road. Henderson scored a career-high 30 points at Rider on Nov. 16 and added a 21-point performance at Howard on Nov. 25. She is averaging 18.7 points and 6.7 rebounds per game in three road games this season.
• Junior Kayla Grossett is averaging 11.0 points and 3.3 rebounds per game away from home after posting a pair of double-digit performances away from Knott Arena. Grossett scored 17 points against Maryland and 14 points against the Broncs.
• Junior Jessie Kaufman has reached double figures on the road after scoring 12 points at Howard.
• The Mount is averaging 56.3 points per game and shooting 37.0 percent from the field on the road while allowing 77.3 points per game and 49.2 percent to the opponent away from Emmitsburg.
looking to a lead at the break... Mount St. Mary's has not gone into the locker room with the lead this season.
• In the first four games, the opponent has led at the break. The squad rallied from a 39-31 deficit to at the intermission to defeat Rider 70-67.
• The Mount has trailed by six points or more at the break in the four games this season.
the board story... Mount St. Mary's is 1-0 this season when it has the advantage in rebounds and has lost both games this season when the opponent has held the edge.
• The Mount is 23-19 when it holds the advantage off the glass, but 30-72 when the opponents have more rebounds.
conference honors for henderson... Redshirt junior Sydney Henderson was named the Northeast Conference Choice Hotels Co-Player of the Week for the week of Nov. 12-18. It is the redshirt junior's first conference honor.
• Henderson posted a career-high 30 points and scored the game-winning basket with 42 seconds left to lift the Mount past Rider 70-67 on Nov. 16. The redshirt junior shot 9-for-15 from the floor, 6 of 8 from behind the arc and 6 of 7 from the foul line for her 30 points. She stuffed the stat sheet by adding eight rebounds, four steals and three assists in 40 minutes on her way to career highs in points, field goals, 3-point field goals, free throws, steals and minutes played. Henderson scored nine of the Mount's final 16 points to help the Mountaineers to their first win of the season.
• It marks the 19th time a Mount player has been named the NEC Player of the Week dating back to the 1997-98 season and the first time since Gauthier earned the honor for the final week of the 2009 regular season.
first to 30 for henderson... Redshirt junior Sydney Henderson notched her first career 30-point performance against Rider on Nov. 16.
• It was the third time under head coach Bryan Whitten a Mount player has posted 30 points in a game. The squad is 3-0 when a player hits 30 points in a contest.
• Henderson became the first Mount player to post 30 points in a game since current assistant coach Brianna Gauthier scored 32 points against Bryant on Mar. 2, 2009. It was also the first time a Mount player scored 30 points on the road since Dominique Mazzuchi had 30 points against Central Connecticut State on Jan. 12, 2008.
• It also marked the first 30-point performance in non-conference play since Myriam Baccouche had 36 points against Radford on Nov. 21, 2003.
• It is the 29th time in Mount Division I history a Mount player scored 30 points in a game and the 13th different player to accomplish the feat.
count it, one, two, THREE... Redshirt junior Sydney Henderson is 10-for-26 this season from behind the arc. The redshirt junior went 6-for-8 from 3-point land against Rider on Nov. 16. It marked the second time in her career that Henderson has connected on six 3's in a game after also hitting the mark against Monmouth on the road last season. It is the eighth most made in a single game in program history.
• Junior Jessie Kaufman is 8-for-21 from behind the arc.
• Henderson and Kaufman are a combined 18-for-47 while the rest of the team is 3-for-24 from 3-point land.
• The Mount made a single-season program-record 192 treys last season. Henderson hit a team-high 51 from behind the arc, which ranks ninth on the single-season chart in team history.
a career night... Redshirt junior Sydney Henderson posted a career-high 30 points against Rider on Nov. 16. She established a new career best 10 months to the day after she had a career-high 25 points against Central Connecticut State last season.
• Sophomore Jen Carney scored a career-high eight points against Campbell on Nov. 16.
preseason poll… The Mount St. Mary's women's basketball team has been picked seventh in the Northeast Conference (NEC) Preseason Coaches Poll. Quinnipiac picked up seven of the 12 first-place votes to be tabbed as the preseason favorite. The defending NEC regular season and tournament champions Sacred Heart Pioneers nabbed four first-place votes to finish second in the poll while Monmouth secured the final first-place nod to finish third in the poll. Saint Francis (Pa.), Robert Morris, LIU Brooklyn, the Mount, Central Connecticut State, Bryant, Fairleigh Dickinson, St. Francis Brooklyn and Wagner round out the 12-team poll. Bryant, who just completed its five-year transition to Division I, will be eligible for the NEC Tournament for the first time in 2012-13.
in the non-conference slate... Mount St. Mary's is 80-125 in non-conference games since joining the Northeast Conference in 1989-90.
aye, aye captain… Senior Selina Mann, redshirt junior Sydney Henderson and junior Ashley Christie have been named team captains for the 2012-13 season.
• Mann was also a team captain last season.
man oh mann, selina... Mount St. Mary's can pretty much count on getting five from senior Selina Mann every game. The only question is will it be five points, five rebounds, five assists or five steals?
• Mann has posted a five spot in one of those categories in 69 of the 88 games.
• The senior has posted a five spot in two of those categories 22 times; 11 times in three categories and eight times in four different categories.
• She has scored five points 47 times in her career, including 17 two-digit performances and a career-high 26 at San Jose State on Dec. 29, 2010.
• The 5-4 guard has posted five rebounds 32 times in her career, including four 10-board performances.
• Mann has dished out five assists 30 times in her career including a career-high 10 assists against Wagner on Feb. 11, 2012.
• The senior has registered five steals in a game 17 times in her career, including establishing a new program record with 11 steals against Fairleigh Dickinson on Feb. 18, 2012.
• Mann leads the team with four double-doubles. She has two points-rebounds tricks, one points-steals and one rebounds-assists double-double. She is only the third player in Mount Division I history with a double-double that includes steals. The junior recorded 10 points and 10 rebounds against American on Nov. 18.
• The senior is only the second player in team history to record a 10 spot in points, rebounds, assists or steals in a game in her career. Kim Rhock is the only other player to accomplish this feat.
mann making a move in the record book… Senior Selina Mann is making a move in the Mount's career record book.
• The senior ranks sixth in career steals with 263 thefts. She needs six steals to move into fifth place on the all-time list.
• Mann moved into the Top-10 in assists in the final game of the 2011-12 season and stands at 332 helpers. The senior is two assists away from current assistant coach Brianna Gauthier (334, 2006-09).
• She will also have a chance to break the Top-10 in career games played. She comes into the contest with 87 games played and needs 16 games played to crack the Top-10.
sydney on the rise and not down under... Redshirt junior Sydney Henderson has scored double figures in 17 of her last 32 games.
• Henderson is averaging 13.8 points per game in that stretch and has registered 18 points or more seven times in that span.
• She has three 20-point games and a 30-point performance in that stretch.
• Henderson posted a career-high 30 points against Rider on Nov. 16.
• The redshirt junior notched her first collegiate double-double with 19 points and 10 rebounds against Fairleigh Dickinson on Feb. 18, 2012. It was her second 10 board game that season after registering a career-high 12 caroms against Rider on Dec. 29, 2011.
• Henderson has posted double figures 24 times in her career, including three 20-point performances and one 30-point game.
no cough for kaufman... Junior Jessie Kaufman has started the last 13 of the last 14 games and is averaging 12.5 points per game in that stretch.
• Kaufman registered at least nine points in 11 of those games, including nine double-digit performances in that stretch.
• Kaufman notched a career-high 25 points against Fairleigh Dickinson on Feb 18, 2012.
• She has posted double figures 16 times in her career, including two 20-point performances.
fresh start... Redshirt sophomore Jacqueline Brewer played her first game since Mar. 17, 2011 when she took the floor against Maryland on Nov. 9.
• The redshirt sophomore posted five points and a career-high five rebounds against Maryland.
• Brewer, who sat out last season due to NCAA transfer regulations after playing at Virginia Commonwealth as a freshman, posted double figures in four of her first nine games with the Rams, including a career-best 14 points against Virginia Tech on Nov. 21, 2010.
• The redshirt sophomore was named to the Colonial Athletic Association All-Rookie team in 2010-11.
all-conference returning… Senior Selina Mann was named to the All-Northeast Conference second team as a junior.
• Mann paced the Mount in rebounding (4.9 rpg.), assists (139) and steals (114) while averaging 6.0 points per game.
• In league play, she ranked second in steals (3.93 spg.), third in assist-to-turnover ratio (1.60), fourth in assists (4.79 apg.), 10th in minute played (32.72) and 12th in free throw percentage (.761) in the NEC. In addition, Mann ranks third in the nation in steals.
in the league... The Mount is 256-150 in Northeast Conference play, including 147-60 at Knott Arena and 109-90 on the road.
home sweet home... In its 26th season at Knott Arena, Mount St. Mary's has posted a 218-108 overall mark, including 74-46 in non-conference play and 144-62 in league play since moving across Route 15 from Memorial Gym.
in the month... Mount St. Mary's is 57-57 in the month of November in program history. The Mount is 31-18 at home, 17-32 on the road and 9-6 at a neutral site in the month.
• The Mountaineers are 31-50 in November since switching to Division I in 1988-89. The team is 18-18 at Knott Arena, 11-27 on the road and 2-5 at a neutral site.
• Under head coach Bryan Whitten, the Mount is 10-18 overall, 5-9 at home and 5-8 on the road in the month.
• The Mount is in its 39th campaign in program history, but did not have a game in November seven times.
• Mount St. Mary's won its first 17 home November games in program history.
hearing your name called at the start... Head coach Bryan Whitten has only had 20 players start in his six-year tenure at the Mount.
• Senior Selina Mann has started 61 of the 88 games that she has played, but has been in the starting lineup for 60 of the last 61 games.
• Redshirt junior Sydney Henderson started 42 of the 59 games she has played.
• Junior Ashley Christie has started 55 of 58 games in her collegiate career.
• Junior Rachel Mathews has started 25 games in her career while fellow junior Jessie Kaufman has been in the starting lineup 22 times.
• Senior Tara Lonergan has started 19 games in her career.
• Junior Kayla Grossett has started seven games in her career and sophomore Jen Carney earned her first career start against Maryland in the season opener on Nov. 9 and has started the first three games this season.
let's play to 60 points... Mount St. Mary's is most successful under head coach Bryan Whitten when it scores 60 points in a game or holds the opponent under that total.
• The Mount is 33-25 when it scores 60 points in a game, but 22-71 when it does not reach 60 points.
• Defensively, the Mountaineers are 40-30 when the opponents are held under 60 points and 14-66 when the opponent reaches 60 points.
three keys to whitten success... The Mount is most successful under head coach Bryan Whitten when the squad leads at halftime, in rebounding or keeps the opponent under 60 points.
• The Mount is 40-16 when he holds the lead at halftime, 3-3 when the game is tied, but just 12-77 when trailing at the break.
• The squad is 23-19 when it holds a rebounding edge in a game, but just 30-72 when the opponent has the advantage and 2-5 when the two teams have equal boards.
• Mount St. Mary's is 40-30 when it holds opponents under 60 points.
hitting 20 points in a game... Senior Selina Mann, redshirt junior Sydney Henderson and juniors Ashley Christie, Kayla Grossett and Jessie Kaufman have each recorded a 20-point game in their career.
• Henderson has four 20-point performances and a 30-point game in her career, including a career-high 30 points against Rider on Nov. 16, 2012. The redshirt junior has recorded 20 or more points twice this season.
• Kaufman has a pair of 20-point games in her career, including 24 points this season against Campbell on Nov. 19. She notched a career-high 25 against Fairleigh Dickinson on Feb. 18, 2012.
• Grossett registered a career-best 21 points against Quinnipiac on Jan. 30, 2012.
• Mann scored a career-high 26 points against San Jose State on Dec. 29, 2010.
• Christie posted a career-high 21 points against Fairleigh Dickinson on Feb. 5, 2011.
• The Mount has registered 27 20-point performances and three 30-point games under head coach Bryan Whitten. The squad is 14-13 when a player reaches 20 points and 3-0 when a player scores 30 in a contest.
new to the mountain... Head coach Bryan Whitten added two players to his 2012-13 team. Freshmen Jody Chickey and Jayla Leftwich joined the team this season.
• In addition, after sitting out last season red shirt sophomore Jacqueline Brewer will be eligible to play this year. Brewer played at Virginia Commonwealth in 2010-11 as a freshman.
northeast conference history... Mount St. Mary's has made the Northeast Conference Tournament in 21 of the 23 years since the Mount joined the circuit.
• Mount St. Mary's is 17-18 in the NEC Tournament.
• The Mountaineers have not won a tournament game since a 50-45 win against Sacred Heart on Mar. 4, 2001.
• Mount St. Mary's won tournaments in 1992-93, 1993-94 and 1994-95, including earning the league's first two NCAA Division I bids.
the underlining whit... Head coach Bryan Whitten is in his sixth season at the Mount. The Mount is 55-96 overall under Whitten. He is 275-199 in 18 seasons at a head coach at King's College and the Mount.
• The Mount is 28-40 overall at Knott Arena and 21-25 in NEC play under Whitten.
• The Mountaineers on the road are 27-56 overall mark away from Emmitsburg and 14-30 in league play.
• Whitten picked up his first Mount win with a 55-51 decision at Lafayette on Nov. 17, 2007 and earned his 25th career in at Lafayette on Nov. 30, 2009.
• Whitten earned his 250th win of his career against Quinnipiac on Jan. 30, 2010.
foreign flavor... Mount St. Mary's has one international players on the roster in 2012-13.
• Junior Kayla Grossett (Canada) is the fifth international player at the Mount.
• Grossett follows Katie Walton (Canada, 1998-02), Dita Krumberga (Latvia, 2004-07), Leah Westbrooks (Ireland, 2007-11) and Sandra Andresson (Estonia, 2008-12).
new additions to the coaching staff... Head coach Bryan Whitten added Josh Keys and Brian Martin to his coaching staff for the 2012-13 season.
• Keys, a 2007 graduate of Liberty, comes to the Mount after spending one season at Stetson last season.
• Martin, a 1994 graduate of West Virginia, begins his first season as Director of Basketball Operations after serving as an assistant coach at Hood College last season.