opening tip... Sunday's game between Mount St. Mary's and Howard marks the eighth meeting in the all-time series dating back to the 1978-79 season.
• The Bison took last year's meeting 67-55 on Jan. 3 in Emmitsburg in the first contest between the two teams since the 1993-94 season.
• The Mount holds a 4-3 advantage in the series and the squad has won both games in the nation's capital. The Mountaineers are 3-1 against Howard since switching to Division I.
• Mount St. Mary's last win in the series was a 73-54 decision on Dec. 9, 1993.
about the bison... Howard comes into the contest 1-4 after defeating Bowie State 60-38 on Friday.
• Senior G Saadia Doyle posted 29 points and eight rebounds against Bowie State. The senior scored 36 points in a 72-61 loss against Penn State on Nov. 11. Doyle paces the team with 23.8 points and 8.4 rebounds per game.
• Senior G Cheyenne Curley-Payne added 11 points, nine assists and six rebounds on Friday night. Curley-Payne registered 18 points in a 69-61 loss against Saint Francis (Pa.) on Nov. 9. The senior ranks second on the squad with 10.8 points and 5.0 rebounds per game.
• Redshirt junior G Jerrelle Gorham chipped in 10 points and seven rebounds against Bowie State. Gorham is averaging 5.2 points and 3.0 rebounds per game.
last time we met... Howard downed Mount St. Mary's 67-55 on Jan. 3, 2012. Kayla Grossett paced the Mount with 14 points off the bench. Ashley Christie added 12 points and Sydney Henderson chipped in 10 points in the loss. Saadia Doyle fueled the Bison with 18 points and 10 rebounds. Tamoria Holmes posted 16 points, Cheyenne Curley-Payne registered 12 at the charity stripe and Zykia Brown recorded 10 points in squad's eighth-straight win.
quick hits on the campbell game... Campbell defeated Mount St. Mary's 54-48 in the first meeting between the two teams in program history on Monday.
• Junior Jessie Kaufman paced the Mount with 24 points and eight rebounds. The junior missed her career-bets performance by one point after connecting on 10 of 16 shots from the field and 4 of 5 from behind the arc. It was the first time a Mount player connected on 10 field goals in a game since Sandra Andresson had 10 made baskets against Monmouth on Feb. 7, 2011. It was Kaufman's second career 20-point performance.
• Redshirt junior Sydney Henderson added six points, seven rebounds and four assists on the day that she was named the Northeast Conference Choice Hotels Co-Player of the Week. Henderson leads the team with 13.7 points and 6.3 rebounds per game.
• Sophomore Jenn Carney added a career-high eight points in 21 minutes of play. Carney has started the first three games of the season for her first collegiate starts.
• Senior Selina Mann added four points, five rebounds and four assists against the Fighting Camels. The senior is averaging 5.5 points, 5.5 rebounds, 4.5 steals and 3.0 assists per game in her last two contests.
conference honors for henderson... Redshirt junior Sydney Henderson was named the Northeast Conference Choice Hotels Co-Player of the Week for the week of Nov. 12-18. It is the redshirt junior's first conference honor.
• Henderson posted a career-high 30 points and scored the game-winning basket with 42 seconds left to lift the Mount past Rider 70-67 on Nov. 16. The redshirt junior shot 9-for-15 from the floor, 6 of 8 from behind the arc and 6 of 7 from the foul line for her 30 points. She stuffed the stat sheet by adding eight rebounds, four steals and three assists in 40 minutes on her way to career highs in points, field goals, 3-point field goals, free throws, steals and minutes played. Henderson scored nine of the Mount's final 16 points to help the Mountaineers to their first win of the season.
• It marks the 19th time a Mount player has been named the NEC Player of the Week dating back to the 1997-98 season and the first time since Gauthier earned the honor for the final week of the 2009 regular season.
next on tap... The Mount wraps up its Bison road trip at Bucknell on Wednesday.
• Mount St. Mary's returns home to host UMES on Dec. 5 and Navy on Dec. 8.
first to 30 for henderson... Redshirt junior Sydney Henderson notched her first career 30-point performance against Rider on Nov. 16.
• It was the third time under head coach Bryan Whitten a Mount player has posted 30 points in a game. The squad is 3-0 when a player hits 30 points in a contest.
• Henderson became the first Mount player to post 30 points in a game since current assistant coach Brianna Gauthier scored 32 points against Bryant on Mar. 2, 2009. It was also the first time a Mount player scored 30 points on the road since Dominique Mazzuchi had 30 points against Central Connecticut State on Jan. 12, 2008.
• It also marked the first 30-point performance in non-conference play since Myriam Baccouche had 36 points against Radford on Nov. 21, 2003.
• It is the 29th time in Mount Division I history a Mount player scored 30 points in a game and the 13th different player to accomplish the feat.
good start to the season, eh… Junior Kayla Grossett was aa spark off the bench in the first two games of the season after posting double figures in each contest.
• Grossett scored a team-high 17 points and added five rebounds in the season opener against Maryland on Nov. 9 and then added 14 points against Rider seven days later.
• The junior posted 31 points in the first two games this season after have 12 points in the first two games in her first two seasons.
• It marks the third time in her career the junior has posted back-to-back double-figure performances.
• She ranks third on the team with 11.0 points per game and third with 4.0 rebounds per game.
on the road... The Mount is 1-1 on the road this season. Sunday's game will mark the second road game this year in the Washington area after opening the season with an 88-47 loss at fifth-ranked Maryland on Nov. 9.
• Thanks to a career-high 30-point effort at Radford, redshirt junior Sydney Henderson paces the team with 17.5 points and 6.0 rebounds per game in the first two road games of the season.
• Junior Kayla Grossett ranks second on the team with 15.5 points and 4.5 rebounds per game after posting a pair of double digit performances away from Knott Arena. Grossett scored 17 points against the Terrapins and 14 points against the Broncs.
• The Mount is averaging 58.5 points per game and shooting 35.3 percent from the field on the road while allowing 77.5 points per game and 49.2 percent to the opponent away from Emmitsburg.
the board story... Mount St. Mary's is 1-0 this season when it has the advantage in rebounds and has lost both games this season when the opponent has held the edge.
• The Mount is 23-19 when it holds the advantage off the glass, but 30-71 when the opponents have more rebounds.
three can come from almost anyone... Redshirt junior Sydney Henderson is 7-for-19 this season from behind the arc. The redshirt junior went 6-for-8 from 3-point land against Rider on Nov. 16. It marked the second time in her career that Henderson has connected on six 3's in a game after also hitting the mark against Monmouth on the road last season. It is the eighth most made in a single game in program history.
• Junior Jessie Kaufman has six 3-balls and fellow junior Kayla Grossett has hit a pair of treys this season while redshirt sophomore Jacqueline Brewer hit one basket from behind of the arc this season.
• The Mount made a single-season program-record 192 treys last season. Henderson hit a team-high 51 from behind the arc, which ranks ninth on the single-season chart in team history.
a career night... Redshirt junior Sydney Henderson posted a career-high 30 points against Rider on Nov. 16. She established a new career best 10 months to the day after she had a career-high 25 points against Central Connecticut State last season.
• Sophomore Jen Carney scored a career-high eight points against Campbell on Nov. 16.
fresh start... Redshirt sophomore Jacqueline Brewer played her first game since Mar. 17, 2011 when she took the floor against Maryland on Nov. 9.
• The redshirt sophomore posted five points and a career-high five rebounds against Maryland.
• Brewer, who sat out last season due to NCAA transfer regulations after playing at Virginia Commonwealth as a freshman, posted double figures in four of her first nine games with the Rams, including a career-best 14 points against Virginia Tech on Nov. 21, 2010.
• The redshirt sophomore was named to the Colonial Athletic Association All-Rookie team in 2010-11.
preseason poll… The Mount St. Mary's women's basketball team has been picked seventh in the Northeast Conference (NEC) Preseason Coaches Poll. Quinnipiac picked up seven of the 12 first-place votes to be tabbed as the preseason favorite. The defending NEC regular season and tournament champions Sacred Heart Pioneers nabbed four first-place votes to finish second in the poll while Monmouth secured the final first-place nod to finish third in the poll. Saint Francis (Pa.), Robert Morris, LIU Brooklyn, the Mount, Central Connecticut State, Bryant, Fairleigh Dickinson, St. Francis (N.Y.) and Wagner round out the 12-team poll. Bryant, who just completed its five-year transition to Division I, will be eligible for the NEC Tournament for the first time in 2012-13.
in the non-conference slate... Mount St. Mary's is 80-124 in non-conference games since joining the Northeast Conference in 1989-90.
aye, aye captain… Senior Selina Mann, redshirt junior Sydney Henderson and junior Ashley Christie have been named team captains for the 2012-13 season.
• Mann was also a team captain last season.
man oh mann, selina... Mount St. Mary's can pretty much count on getting five from senior Selina Mann every game. The only question is will it be five points, five rebounds, five assists or five steals.
• Mann has posted a five spot in one of those categories in 69 of the 87 games.
• The senior has posted a five spot in two of those categories 22 times, 11 times in three categories and eight times in four different categories.
• She has scored five points 47 times in her career, including 17 two-digit performances and a career-high 26 at San Jose State on Dec. 29, 2010.
• The 5-4 guard has posted five rebounds 32 times in her career, including four 10-board performances.
• Mann has dished out five assists 30 times in her career including a career-high 10 assists against Wagner on Feb. 11, 2012.
• The senior has registered five steals in a game 17 times in her career, including establishing a new program record with 11 steals against Fairleigh Dickinson on Feb. 18, 2012.
• Mann leads the team with four double-doubles. She has two points-rebounds tricks, one points-steals and one rebounds-assists double-double. She is only the third player in Mount Division I history with a double-double that includes steals. The junior recorded 10 points and 10 rebounds against American on Nov. 18.
• The senior is only the second player in team history to record a 10 spot in points, rebounds, assists or steals in a game in her career. Kim Rhock is the only other player to accomplish this feat.
mann making a move in the record book… Senior Selina Mann is making a move in the Mount's career record book.
• The senior ranks sixth in career steals with 261 thefts. She needs eight steals to move into fifth place on the all-time list.
• Mann moved into the Top-10 in assists in the final game of the 2011-12 season with 329 helpers. The senior is five assists away from current assistant coach Brianna Gauthier (334).
• She will also have a chance to break the Top-10 in career games played. She comes into the contest with 87 games played and needs 16 games played to crack the Top-10.
sydney on the rise and not down under... Redshirt junior Sydney Henderson has scored double figures in 16 of her last 31 games.
• Henderson is averaging 13.6 points per game in that stretch and has registered 18 points or more six times in that span.
• She has two 20-point games and a 30-point performance in that stretch.
• Henderson posted a career-high 30 points against Rider on Nov. 16.
• The redshirt junior notched her first collegiate double-double with 19 points and 10 rebounds against Fairleigh Dickinson on Feb. 18, 2012. It was her second 10 board game that season after registering a career-high 12 caroms against Rider on Dec. 29, 2011.
• Henderson has posted double figures 24 times in her career, including three 20-point performances and one 30-point game.
no cough for kaufman... Junior Jessie Kaufman has started the last 12 of the last 13 games and is averaging 12.5 points per game in that stretch.
• Kaufman registered at least nine points in 10 of those games, including nine double-digit performances in that stretch.
• Kaufman notched a career-high 25 points against Fairleigh Dickinson on Feb 18, 2012.
• She has posted double figures 15 times in her career, including two 20-point performances.
all-conference returning… Senior Selina Mann was named to the All-Northeast Conference second team as a junior.
• Mann paced the Mount in rebounding (4.9 rpg.), assists (139) and steals (114) while averaging 6.0 points per game.
• In league play, she ranked second in steals (3.93 spg.), third in assist-to-turnover ratio (1.60), fourth in assists (4.79 apg.), 10th in minute played (32.72) and 12th in free throw percentage (.761) in the NEC. In addition, Mann ranks third in the nation in steals.
in the league... The Mount is 256-150 in Northeast Conference play, including 147-60 at Knott Arena and 109-90 on the road.
home sweet home... In its 26th season at Knott Arena, Mount St. Mary's has posted a 218-108 overall mark, including 74-46 in non-conference play and 144-62 in league play since moving across Route 15 from Memorial Gym.
in the month... Mount St. Mary's is 57-56 in the month of November in program history. The Mount is 31-18 at home, 17-31 on the road and 9-6 at a neutral site in the month.
• The Mountaineers are 31-49 in November since switching to Division I in 1988-89. The team is 18-18 at Knott Arena, 11-26 on the road and 2-5 at a neutral site.
• Under head coach Bryan Whitten, the Mount is 10-17 overall, 5-9 at home and 5-8 on the road in the month.
• The Mount is in its 39th campaign in program history, but did not have a game in November seven times.
• Mount St. Mary's won its first 17 home November games in program history.
hearing your name called at the start... Head coach Bryan Whitten has only had 20 players start in his six-year tenure at the Mount.
• Senior Selina Mann has started 60 of the 87 games that she has played, but has been in the starting lineup for 59 of the last 60 games.
• Redshirt junior Sydney Henderson started 41 of the 58 games she has played.
• Junior Ashley Christie has started 55 of 58 games in her collegiate career.
• Junior Rachel Mathews has started 24 games in her career while fellow junior Jessie Kaufman has been in the starting lineup 21 times.
• Senior Tara Lonergan has started 19 games in her career.
• Junior Kayla Grossett has started six games in her career and sophomore Jen Carney earned her first career start against Maryland in the season opener on Nov. 9 and has started the first three games this season.
let's play to 60 points... Mount St. Mary's is most successful under head coach Bryan Whitten when it scores 60 points in a game or holds the opponent under that total.
• The Mount is 33-25 when it scores 60 points in a game, but 22-70 when it does not reach 60 points.
• Defensively, the Mountaineers are 40-30 when the opponents are held under 60 points and 14-65 when the opponent reaches 60 points.
three keys to whitten success... The Mount is most successful under head coach Bryan Whitten when the squad leads at halftime, in rebounding or keeps the opponent under 60 points.
• The Mount is 40-16 when he holds the lead at halftime, 3-3 when the game is tied, but just 12-76 when trailing at the break.
• The squad is 23-19 when it holds a rebounding edge in a game, but just 30-71 when the opponent has the advantage and 2-5 when the two teams have equal boards.
• Mount St. Mary's is 40-30 when it holds opponents under 60 points.
hitting 20 points in a game... Senior Selina Mann, redshirt junior Sydney Henderson and juniors Ashley Christie, Kayla Grossett and Jessie Kaufman have each recorded a 20-point game in their career.
• Henderson has three 20-point performances and a 30-point game in her career, including a career-high 30 points against Rider on Nov. 16, 2012.
• Kaufman has a pair of 20-point games in her career, including 24 points this season against Campbell on Nov. 19. She notched a career-high 25 against Fairleigh Dickinson on Feb. 18, 2012.
• Grossett registered a career-best 21 points against Quinnipiac on Jan. 30, 2012.
• Mann scored a career-high 26 points against San Jose State on Dec. 29, 2010.
• Christie posted a career-high 21 points against Fairleigh Dickinson on Feb. 5, 2011.
• The Mount has registered 27 20-point performances and three 30-point games under head coach Bryan Whitten. The squad is 14-13 when a player reaches 20 points and 3-0 when a player scores 30 in a contest.
new to the mountain... Head coach Bryan Whitten added two players to his 2012-13 team. Freshmen Jody Chickey and Jayla Leftwich joined the team this season.
• In addition, after sitting out last season red shirt sophomore Jacqueline Brewer will be eligible to play this year. Brewer played at Virginia Commonwealth in 2010-11 as a freshman.
northeast conference history... Mount St. Mary's has made the Northeast Conference Tournament in 21 of the 23 years since the Mount joined the circuit.
• Mount St. Mary's is 17-18 in the NEC Tournament.
• The Mountaineers have not won a tournament game since a 50-45 win against Sacred Heart on Mar. 4, 2001.
• Mount St. Mary's won tournaments in 1992-93, 1993-94 and 1994-95, including earning the league's first two NCAA Division I bids.
the underlining whit... Head coach Bryan Whitten is in his sixth season at the Mount. The Mount is 55-95 overall under Whitten. He is 275-198 in 18 seasons at a head coach at King's College and the Mount.
• The Mount is 28-40 overall at Knott Arena and 21-25 in NEC play under Whitten.
• The Mountaineers on the road are 27-53 overall mark away from Emmitsburg and 14-30 in league play.
• Whitten picked up his first Mount win with a 55-51 decision at Lafayette on Nov. 17, 2007 and earned his 25th career in at Lafayette on Nov. 30, 2009.
• Whitten earned his 250th win of his career against Quinnipiac on Jan. 30, 2010.
foreign flavor... Mount St. Mary's has one international players on the roster in 2012-13.
• Junior Kayla Grossett (Canada) is the fifth international player at the Mount.
• Grossett follows Katie Walton (Canada, 1998-02), Dita Krumberga (Latvia, 2004-07), Leah Westbrooks (Ireland, 2007-11) and Sandra Andresson (Estonia, 2008-12).
new additions to the coaching staff... Head coach Bryan Whitten added Josh Keys and Brian Martin to his coaching staff for the 2012-13 season.
• Keys, a 2007 graduate of Liberty, comes to the Mount after spending one season at Stetson last season.
• Martin, a 1994 graduate of West Virginia, begins his first season as Director of Basketball Operations after serving as an assistant coach at Hood College last season.