Women's Basketball Welcomes Campbell To Town For Home Opener On Monday
opening tip... Monday's game between Mount St. Mary's and Campbell marks the first meeting between the two programs.
• The Mount is 26-5 against Liberty, Longwood and Radford from the Big South, but 9-4 against the league since the Mount switched to Division I in 1988-89.
• The Mountaineers have played all nine meetings against Radford as a Division I program and holds a 7-2 advantage in the season. Mount St. Mary's is 8-3 against the Big South's newest member Longwood, including 2-2 since 1988-89 while the Mount holds an 11-0 advantage against Liberty, but all 11 of those meetings came as a Division II program.
about the camels... Campbell comes into the contest 3-0 after defeating N.C. Central 67-51 on Friday.
• Senior G Tonisha Baker paced the Camels in the win on Friday with 14 points and seven rebounds. Baker leads the team with 12.0 points and 5.0 rebounds per game. The senior added 14 points in a 102-33 win against Barber-Scotia on Nov. 10.
• Freshman G Zena Lovette is averaging 9.7 points and 2.7 rebounds per game. Lovette posted 15 points in a 55-40 win against Western Carolina on Nov. 12.
• Redshirt sophomore G Monique Spry is averaging 9.7 points and 1.3 rebounds per game. Spry had a team-high 16 points in the season opening win against Barber-Scotia.
• Senior F/C Jazmine Cooper ranks third on the team with 7.0 points and 3.3 rebounds per game. The senior posted nine points against Barber-Scotia.
quick hits on the rider game... Redshirt junior Sydney Henderson scored the go-ahead basket with 42 seconds left and finished the game with 30 points to lead Mount St. Mary's past Rider on Friday.
• Henderson stuffed the stat sheet with eight rebounds, four steals and three assists. The redshirt junior notched career highs in points (30), field goals (9), 3-point field goals (6), free throws (6), steals (4) and minutes played (40).
• Henderson notched the third 30-point game under head coach Bryan Whitten and the first since current assistant coach Brianna Gauthier posted 32 points against Bryant on Mar. 2, 2009.
• Junior Kayla Grossett recorded 14 points against the Broncs to notch her second-straight double-figure performances after scoring a team-best 17 points against fifth-ranked Maryland on Nov. 9. It is the third-time in her career the junior has registered consecutive double figure games.
• Senior Selina Mann stuffed the stat sheet with seven points, six rebounds, five assists and five steals against Rider. It was the eighth time in her career the senior has posted a five spot in at least four of the five major categories.
• The Mount improved to 1-1 for the fifth time in six years under Whitten.
first to 30 for henderson... Redshirt junior Sydney Henderson notched her first career 30-point performance against Rider on Nov. 16.
• It was the third time under head coach Bryan Whitten a Mount player has posted 30 points in a game. The squad is 3-0 when a player hits 30 points in a contest.
• Henderson became the first Mount player to post 30 points in a game since current assistant coach Brianna Gauthier scored 32 points against Bryant on Mar. 2, 2009. It was also the first time a Mount player scored 30 points on the road since Dominique Mazzuchi had 30 points against Central Connecticut State on Jan. 12, 2008.
• It also marked the first 30-point performance in non-conference play since Myriam Baccouche had 36 points against Radford on Nov. 21, 2003.
• It is the 29th time in Mount Division I history a Mount player scored 30 points in a game and the 13th different player to accomplish the feat.
home opening omen... Mount St. Mary's is 25-13 in home openers and 13-12 at Knott Arena in the squad's first game in Emmitsburg.
• After winning the home opener, the Mount went on to post a winning season 20 times and eight times in Mount Division I history.
• Head coach Bryan Whitten is 2-3 in the first game of the year at Knott Arena.
next on tap... The Mount will make a two-game Bison road trip, heading to Howard on Nov. 25 and to Bucknell on Nov. 28.
• Mount St. Mary's returns home to host UMES on Dec. 5 and Navy on Dec. 8.
starting the season after three games... Mount St. Mary's looks to go to 2-1 for the third time in six years under head coach Bryan Whitten.
• The Mount has started the season 2-1 11 times, including seven times since switching to Division I.
• When the squad starts the year 2-1 the Mount has gone on to post a winning mark in nine of the 11 seasons.
• The Mount posted a 3-0 mark 10 times before switching to Division I, but have never won the first three games since the 1988-89 season.
• The Mountaineers have started the season 1-2 12 times and 0-3 four times.
good start to the season, eh… Junior Kayla Grossett has been a spark off the bench in the first two games of the season after posting double figures in each contest.
• Grossett scored a team-high 17 points and added five rebounds in the season opener against Maryland on Nov. 9 and then added 14 points against Rider seven days later.
• The junior has posted 31 points in the first two games this season after have 12 points in the first two games in her first two seasons.
• It marks the third time in her career the junior has posted back-to-back double-figure performances. The pervious two times Grossett scored double figures in three-straight games.
• She ranks second on the team with 15.5 points per game and third with 4.5 rebounds per game.
looking for the comforts of home to continue... Last season, the Mount went 10-4 at Knott Arena after posting a 7-2 mark in Northeast Conference play and a 3-2 mark in non-conference play.
• It was the first winning season at home since 2008-09 when the Mount went 8-7 thanks to a 5-1 non-conference record.
• It also marked the first time since 2005-06 that the Mount had a winning mark in both league and non-conference play. In 2005-06, the Mountaineers went 2-1 in non-conference and 6-3 in NEC action at Knott Arena.
• Redshirt junior Sydney Henderson averaged 12.4 points and 5.2 rebounds per game and posted double figures in eight of the 14 games in Emmitsburg last season.
• Junior Jessie Kaufman boasted a 9.4 points and 3.3 rebounds per game average at Knott Arena in 2011-12. The junior had six double-digit contests last season, including posting double figures in her last four home games. She averaged 16.0 points per game in that stretch.
three can come from almost anyone... Redshirt junior Sydney Henderson is 7-for-14 this season from behind the arc. The redshirt junior went 6-for-8 from 3-point land against Rider on Nov. 16. It marked the second time in her career that Henderson has connected on six 3's in a game after also hitting the mark against Monmouth on the road last season. It is the eighth most made in a single game in program history.
• Juniors Kayla Grossett and Jessie Kaufman have each hit a pair of treys this season while redshirt sophomore Jacqueline Brewer hit one basket from behind of the arc this season.
• The Mount made a single-season program-record 192 treys last season. Henderson hit a team-high 51 from behind the arc, which ranks ninth on the single-season chart in team history.
a career night... Redshirt junior Sydney Henderson posted a career-high 30 points against Rider on Nov. 16. She established a new career best 10 months to the day after she had a career-high 25 points against Central Connecticut State last season.
fresh start... Redshirt sophomore Jacqueline Brewer played her first game since Mar. 17, 2011 when she took the floor against Maryland on Nov. 9.
• The redshirt sophomore posted five points and a career-high five rebounds against Maryland.
• Brewer, who sat out last season due to NCAA tranfer regulations after playing at Virginia Commonwealth as a freshman, posted double figures in four of her first nine games with the Rams, including a career-best 14 points against Virginia Tech on Nov. 21, 2010.
• The redshirt sophomore was named to the Colonial Athletic Association All-Rookie team in 2010-11.
preseason poll… The Mount St. Mary's women's basketball team has been picked seventh in the Northeast Conference (NEC) Preseason Coaches Poll. Quinnipiac picked up seven of the 12 first-place votes to be tabbed as the preseason favorite. The defending NEC regular season and tournament champions Sacred Heart Pioneers nabbed four first-place votes to finish second in the poll while Monmouth secured the final first-place nod to finish third in the poll. Saint Francis (Pa.), Robert Morris, LIU Brooklyn, the Mount, Central Connecticut State, Bryant, Fairleigh Dickinson, St. Francis (N.Y.) and Wagner round out the 12-team poll. Bryant, who just completed its five-year transition to Division I, will be eligible for the NEC Tournament for the first time in 2012-13.
in the non-conference slate... Mount St. Mary's is 80-123 in non-conference games since joining the Northeast Conference in 1989-90.
aye, aye captain… Senior Selina Mann, redshirt junior Sydney Henderson and junior Ashley Christie have been named team captains for the 2012-13 season.
• Mann was also a team captain last season.
man oh mann, selina... Mount St. Mary's can pretty much count on getting five from senior Selina Mann every game. The only question is will it be five points, five rebounds, five assists or five steals.
• Mann has posted a five spot in one of those categories in 68 of the 86 games.
• The senior has posted a five spot in two of those categories 22 times, 11 times in three categories and eight times in four different categories.
• She has scored five points 47 times in her career, including 17 two-digit performances and a career-high 26 at San Jose State on Dec. 29, 2010.
• The 5-4 guard has posted five rebounds 31 times in her career, including four 10-board performances.
• Mann has dished out five assists 30 times in her career including a career-high 10 assists against Wagner on Feb. 11, 2012.
• The senior has registered five steals in a game 17 times in her career, including establishing a new program record with 11 steals against Fairleigh Dickinson on Feb. 18, 2012.
• Mann leads the team with four double-doubles. She has two points-rebounds tricks, one points-steals and one rebounds-assists double-double. She is only the third player in Mount Division I history with a double-double that includes steals. The junior recorded 10 points and 10 rebounds against American on Nov. 18.
• The senior is only the second player in team history to record a 10 spot in points, rebounds, assists or steals in a game in her career. Kim Rhock is the only other player to accomplish this feat.
mann making a move in the record book… Senior Selina Mann is making a move in the Mount's career record book.
• The senior ranks sixth in career steals with 257 thefts. She needs 12 steals to move into fifth place on the all-time list.
• Mann moved into the Top-10 in assists in the final game of the 2011-12 season with 328 helpers. The senior is six assists away from current assistant coach Brianna Gauthier (334).
• She will also have a chance to break the Top-10 in career games played. She comes into the contest with 86 games played and needs 17 games played to crack the Top-10.
sydney on the rise and not down under... Redshirt junior Sydney Henderson has scored double figures in 16 of her last 30 games.
• Henderson is averaging 14.0 points per game in that stretch and has registered 18 points or more six times in that span.
• She has two 20-point games and a 30-point performance in that stretch.
• Henderson posted a career-high 30 points against Rider on Nov. 16.
• The redshirt junior notched her first collegiate double-double with 19 points and 10 rebounds against Fairleigh Dickinson on Feb. 18, 2012. It was her second 10 board game that season after registering a career-high 12 caroms against Rider on Dec. 29, 2011.
• Henderson has posted double figures 24 times in her career, including three 20-point performances and one 30-point game.
no cough for kaufman... Junior Jessie Kaufman has started the last 11 of the last 12 games and is averaging 11.5 points per game in that stretch.
• Kaufman registered at least nine points in nine of those games, including eight double-digit performances in that stretch.
• Kaufman notched a career-high 25 points against Fairleigh Dickinson on Feb 18, 2012.
• She has posted double figures 14 times in her career.
all-conference returning… Senior Selina Mann was named to the All-Northeast Conference second team as a junior.
• Mann paced the Mount in rebounding (4.9 rpg.), assists (139) and steals (114) while averaging 6.0 points per game.
• In league play, she ranked second in steals (3.93 spg.), third in assist-to-turnover ratio (1.60), fourth in assists (4.79 apg.), 10th in minute played (32.72) and 12th in free throw percentage (.761) in the NEC. In addition, Mann ranks third in the nation in steals.
in the league... The Mount is 256-150 in Northeast Conference play, including 147-60 at Knott Arena and 109-90 on the road.
home sweet home... In its 26th season at Knott Arena, Mount St. Mary's has posted a 218-107 overall mark, including 74-45 in non-conference play and 144-62 in league play since moving across Route 15 from Memorial Gym.
in the month... Mount St. Mary's is 57-55 in the month of November in program history. The Mount is 31-17 at home, 17-31 on the road and 9-6 at a neutral site in the month.
• The Mountaineers are 31-48 in November since switching to Division I in 1988-89. The team is 18-17 at Knott Arena, 11-26 on the road and 2-5 at a neutral site.
• Under head coach Bryan Whitten, the Mount is 10-16 overall, 5-7 at home and 5-8 on the road in the month.
• The Mount is in its 39th campaign in program history, but did not have a game in November seven times.
• Mount St. Mary's won its first 17 home November games in program history.
hearing your name called at the start... Head coach Bryan Whitten has only had 20 players start in his six-year tenure at the Mount.
• Senior Selina Mann has started 59 of the 86 games that she has played, but has been in the starting lineup for 59 of the last 60 games.
• Red shirt junior Sydney Henderson started 40 of the 57 games she has played.
• Junior Ashley Christie has started 55 of 58 games in her collegiate career.
• Junior Rachel Mathews has started 23 games in her career while fellow junior Jessie Kaufman has been in the starting lineup 20 times.
• Senior Tara Lonergan has started 19 games in her career.
• Junior Kayla Grossett has started six games in her career and sophomore Jenn Carney earned her first career start against Maryland in the season opener on Nov. 9 and has started the first two games this season.
let's play to 60 points... Mount St. Mary's is most successful under head coach Bryan Whitten when it scores 60 points in a game or holds the opponent under that total.
• The Mount is 33-25 when it scores 60 points in a game, but 22-69 when it does not reach 60 points.
• Defensively, the Mountaineers are 40-29 when the opponents are held under 60 points and 14-65 when the opponent reaches 60 points.
three keys to whitten success... The Mount is most successful under head coach Bryan Whitten when the squad leads at halftime, in rebounding or keeps the opponent under 60 points.
• The Mount is 40-16 when he holds the lead at halftime, 3-3 when the game is tied, but just 12-75 when trailing at the break.
• The squad is 23-19 when it holds a rebounding edge in a game, but just 27-72 when the opponent has the advantage and 2-5 when the two teams have equal boards.
• Mount St. Mary's is 40-29 when it holds opponents under 60 points.
hitting 20 points in a game... Senior Selina Mann, redshirt junior Sydney Henderson and juniors Ashley Christie, Kayla Grossett and Jessie Kaufman have each recorded a 20-point game in their career.
• Henderson has three 20-point performances and a 30-point game in her career, including a career-high 30 points against Rider on Nov. 16, 2012.
• Grossett registered a career-best 21 points against Quinnipiac on Jan. 30, 2012.
• Kaufman had a career-high 25 against Fairleigh Dickinson on Feb. 18, 2012.
• Mann scored a career-high 26 points against San Jose State on Dec. 29, 2010.
• Christie posted a career-high 21 points against Fairleigh Dickinson on Feb. 5, 2011.
• The Mount has registered 26 20-point performances and three 30-point games under head coach Bryan Whitten. The squad is 14-12 when a player reaches 20 points and 3-0 when a player scores 30 in a contest.
new to the mountain... Head coach Bryan Whitten added two players to his 2012-13 team. Freshmen Jody Chickey and Jayla Leftwich joined the team this season.
• In addition, after sitting out last season red shirt sophomore Jacqueline Brewer will be eligible to play this year. Brewer played at Virginia Commonwealth in 2010-11 as a freshman.
northeast conference history... Mount St. Mary's has made the Northeast Conference Tournament in 21 of the 23 years since the Mount joined the circuit.
• Mount St. Mary's is 17-18 in the NEC Tournament.
• The Mountaineers have not won a tournament game since a 50-45 win against Sacred Heart on Mar. 4, 2001.
• Mount St. Mary's won tournaments in 1992-93, 1993-94 and 1994-95, including earning the league's first two NCAA Division I bids.
the underlining whit... Head coach Bryan Whitten is in his sixth season at the Mount. The Mount is 55-94 overall under Whitten. He is 275-197 in 18 seasons at a head coach at King's College and the Mount.
• The Mount is 28-39 overall at Knott Arena and 21-25 in NEC play under Whitten.
• The Mountaineers on the road are 27-53 overall mark away from Emmitsburg and 14-30 in league play.
• Whitten picked up his first Mount win with a 55-51 decision at Lafayette on Nov. 17, 2007 and earned his 25th career in at Lafayette on Nov. 30, 2009.
• Whitten earned his 250th win of his career against Quinnipiac on Jan. 30, 2010.
foreign flavor... Mount St. Mary's has one international players on the roster in 2012-13.
• Junior Kayla Grossett (Canada) is the fifth international player at the Mount.
• Grossett follows Katie Walton (Canada, 1998-02), Dita Krumberga (Latvia, 2004-07), Leah Westbrooks (Ireland, 2007-11) and Sandra Andresson (Estonia, 2008-12).
new additions to the coaching staff... Head coach Bryan Whitten added Josh Keys and Brian Martin to his coaching staff for the 2012-13 season.
• Keys, a 2007 graduate of Liberty, comes to the Mount after spending one season at Stetson last season.
• Martin, a 1994 graduate of West Virginia, begins his first season as Director of Basketball Operations after serving as an assistant coach at Hood College last season.