Women's Basketball Restarts NEC Play At Fairleigh Dickinson On Saturday
opening tip... Saturday's game between Mount St. Mary's and Fairleigh Dickinson marks the 43rd meeting in the all-time series dating back to the 1989-90 season.
• The Mount leads the series 23-19, but the Knights hold a 12-7 margin at the Rothman Center.
• The two teams have split the last six matchups. The home team has won on its home floor in each of the last two campaigns.
• The Mountaineers won last year's only meeting 83-76 in Emmitsburg while Fairleigh Dickinson took the only matchup in 2009-10 in Hackensack, 55-44 .
about the knights... Fairleigh Dickinson comes into the contest 5-8 overall and 0-2 in Northeast Conference play after falling to Howard 66-56 on Dec. 30.
• Fairleigh Dickinson and the Mount has had two common non-conference opponents in the last couple of weeks. The Knights lost to Rider 69-68 on Dec. 22 while the Mount fell to the Broncs 53-44 seven days later and both teams last game was a loss to Howard.
• Senior G Mariyah Laury paced the Knights with 14 points against the Bison. The senior posted 23 points in a 69-68 loss against Rider on Dec. 22. Laury leads the team with 14.5 points and 3.1 rebounds per game.
• Freshman C Erika Livermore added 12 points against Howard. The freshman notched a career-high 24 points and 15 rebounds in a 71-51 win against Columbia on Dec. 28. Livermore ranks third on the squad with 8.4 points and 6.4 rebounds per game.
• Sophomore G Danielle Pankey added 10 points in the non-conference finale. The sophomore scored 16 points in a 68-57 win against NJIT on Nov. 16. Pankey is second on the team with 10.3 points and 4.7 rebounds per game.
last time we met... Mary Dunn keyed a 17-2 run midway through the second half with eight free throws to lift Mount St. Mary's past Fairleigh Dickinson 83-76 on Feb. 5, 2010. Dunn finished the game with 16 points and nine rebounds. Ashley Christie paced the Mountaineers with a career-high 21 points. Leah Westbrooks finished with a season-best 12 points and seven rebounds while Selina Mann tallied 14 points, six assists and four steals in the winning effort. Jasmyra Saunders finished the game with 25 points. Mariyah Laury added 22 points off the bench and Danielle Pankey chipped in 14 points off the bench.
quick hits on the howard game... Howard defeated Mount St. Mary's 67-55 on Tuesday.
• The Bison rolled off 11 unanswered points in the second half to take the lead for good after the Mount used a 15-2 run to take its only lead of the night at 36-35.
• Sophomore Kayla Grossett paced the Mount with a season-high 14 points. The sophomore is averaging 12.0 points per game in her last two games after her second-straight double-digit performance. It is the second time in her career that she has registered consecutive 10-point games.
• Sophomore Ashley Christie added 12 points on Tuesday for her first double-figure contest since recording 10 points against West Virginia on Dec. 20.
• Junior Sydney Henderson chipped in 10 points against the Bison. The junior has recorded back-to-back 10-point games after scoring 11 points against Bucknell on Dec. 31.
• The Mount finished non-conference play 4-7, winning four non-league games for the third time under head coach Bryan Whitten.
the view from the top... With its wins against Long Island (44-43, Dec. 3) and St. Francis (N.Y.) (70-48, Dec. 5), the Mountaineers are 2-0 in Northeast Conference play for the first time since the 2005-06 season.
• The Mountaineers are 2-0 in the NEC for the 12th time in program history. It marks only third time since the 2001-02 campaign the Mount has won its first two league games.
• Mount St. Mary's looks to improve to 3-0 in league play for the ninth time in team history and first since the 2005-06 season.
• Each time the squad won its first two league games, the Mount went on to the participate in the NEC Tournament.
• When the squad opens the season 2-0, the Mount has won the NEC regular season six times.
next on tap... Mount St. Mary's heads to Monmouth on Monday night.
• The Mountaineers will return to Emmitsburg against Bryant on Jan. 14.
• The Mount will play six of its eight league games in the month of January on the road, but will have five of eight contests at home in the month of February.
tops in the league... Mount St. Mary's has posted the most wins in the Northeast Conference since joining the league in 1989-90 with 247 victories.
• The Mount has the third-most wins in league history, trailing only Monmouth (264) and Saint Francis (Pa.) (272).
• The Mount is 248-142 in Northeast Conference play, including 141-58 at Knott Arena and 107-83 on the road.
in the nec... The Mount leads the Northeast Conference in 3-point field goals made (5.92) while ranking fourth in scoring defense (57.8), fourth in 3-pont field goal percentage (.317), fifth in rebounding defense (38.2) and fifth in assist-to-turnover ratio (0.68).
• Junior Sydney Henderson ranks second in minutes played (35.54) and junior Selina Mann is fifth in steals (3.00).
three-point land becoming an island... Mount St. Mary's started the season hot from behind the 3-point line, connecting on 30 of its first 83 attempts (36.1 percent).
• In that span, the Mount connected on six 3-balls in three of the first four games, including tying a program-record with 13 treys against Towson on Nov. 22.
• Since the game at Towson, the Mount has made 47 of 160 (29.4 percent).
• The squad has made five or less from 3-point land in six of its last nine contests.
on the road... Junior Sydney Henderson is averaging 8.5 points and 2.5 rebounds per game in six road games this season.
• The junior registered 18 points against American on Nov. 18 and a career-high 20 points against Towson on Nov. 22.
• Sophomore Jessie Kaufman posted a career-best 19 points at UMES and 12 points against Towson.
• Senior Sandra Andresson scored 13 points at American and 10 points against Pittsburgh on Nov. 29 while also producing two nine-point games this season.
• Junior Selina Mann and sophomore Ashley Christie each have a pair of 10-point games this season away from Emmitsburg while sophomores Kayla Grossett and Kelly Guerriero each have a 13-point game and sophomore Rachel Mathews scored a career-high 10 points once this season.
• The Mount is averaging 52.5 points per game while allowing 66.0 points per game on the road. The squad is shooting 30.2 from the field away from Knott Arena.
• Mount St. Mary's is 1-5 this season on the road and will be playing its first NEC game on the road at Fairleigh Dickinson on Saturday.
in the last five... The Mount is 2-3 in its last five games.
• Sophomore Ashley Christie is averaging 8.8 points and 2.4 rebounds per game in that stretch. The sophomore has three double-digit performances in that stretch after posting 14 points against Loyola on Dec. 10, 10 points against West Virginia on Dec. 20 and 12 points against Howard on Jan. 3.
• Junior Sydney Henderson and sophomore Kayla Grossett have each recorded back-to-back double-figure contests. Henderson posted 11 points against Bucknell on Dec. 31 and 10 points against Howard while Grossett scored 10 points against Bucknell and a season-high 14 points against Howard.
• Junior Selina Mann posted 10 points against the Greyhounds while junior Tara Lonergan had 12 points against Bucknell.
a january to remember... Junior Tara Lonergan is averaging 9.0 points and 5.5 rebounds per game since rejoining the starting lineup against Bucknell on Dec. 31.
• The junior posted a season-high 12 points, seven rebounds and three blocks against Bucknell and then added six points against four rebounds against Howard on Jan. 3.
• Last season, Lonergan notched a career-high 13 points against San Jose State on Dec. 29 and then grabbed a career-high nine rebounds against San Francisco in her first collegiate start two days later.
• From that point last season through the month of January, the junior averaged 7.3 points and 3.7 rebounds per game and posted all four of her 10-point games in career before her 12 points against the Bison in that stretch.
little women... The Mount's top two rebounders are in the starting backcourt. Juniors Sydney Henderson and Selina Mann are tied for the team lead with 4.1 rebounds per game.
• Mann, a 5-4 guard, has grabbed five caroms in a contest five times this year including 10 rebounds against American on Nov. 18.
• Henderson, a 5-6 guard, has hauled in five boards in a game five times this season, including a career-high 12 rebounds against Rider on Dec. 29. She is averaging 5.7 rebounds per game at home.
• Sophomore Ashley Christie, a 5-8 guard, also has a 10-rebound performance on her resume this season after hauling in 10 boards against American.
defense is back baby... After struggling last season defensively, the Mount has returned to its defensive ways under head coach Bryan Whitten in 2011-12.
• The Mount is allowing 57.8 points per game this season after allowing 64.8 points per game last season.
• The Mount has held its opponent under 60 points eight times this season, including three times under 50 points.
• The Mountaineers have not allowed more than 58 points in a contest in seven of their last nine games.
• Mount St. Mary's is 6-2 when it keeps an opponent under 60 points this season and 5-0 when the opponents are held under 50 points.
tale of the offensive numbers... Mount St. Mary's has scored 70 point in a game twice, between 60-69 points twice, between 50-59 points four times, between 40-49 points four times and under 40 points once.
• The Mount is 1-1 when reached 70 points in a game, 1-1 when it scores in the 60's, 3-1 when it scores in the 50's and 1-4 when it is held under 50 points.
second-chance points... Mount St. Mary's has been outrebounded in seven of the 13 games this season, but has held the edge in three of the last six contests.
• The opponent has registered 141 second-chance points to the Mount's 98.
• The Mountaineers are 3-1 when it outrebounds an opponent with wins against UMES on Nov. 15, St. Francis (N.Y.) on Dec. 5 and Bucknell on Dec. 31. Mount St. Mary's held a 41-39 edge against the Hawks, a 28-24 margin against the Terriers and a 31-30 edge against the Bison. In those three games, the Mount has posted 37 second-chance points to 25. The Mountaineers lost 53-44 against Rider on Dec. 29 despite holding a 44-43 edge on the boards.
• The Mount ended the game against Pittsburgh with the same amount of boards (42).
• The game against Towson came down to rebounds. The Tigers outrebounded the Mount by 31 boards and held a 20-7 margin in second-chance points.
• Juniors Sydney Henderson and Selina Mann (4.3 rpg.) are the squad's top rebounder.
i'm a weekend kind of girl... Sophomore Ashley Christie is averaging 11.4 points per game in 17 games on the weekend.
• Christie is averaging 10.3 points per game in four weekend games this season. The sophomore posted a season-high 16 points against Navy on Nov. 26 and 14 points against Loyola on Dec. 10.
• The sophomore has posted double figures in eight of her last 11 Saturday games and is averaging 13.1 points per game in that stretch.
• Christie is averaging 12.7 points per game in nine weekend league games.
• The sophomore posted 10 of her 17 double-digit performances on the weekend. Those 10 games also represent her Top-10 performances.
how sydney got her groove back… Junior Sydney Henderson has played at least 30 minutes in every game this season.
• Henderson posted 18 points against American on Nov. 18 and a career-high 20 points against Towson on Nov. 22. She also had 18 points against St. Francis (N.Y.) on Dec. 5.
• The junior has grabbed four rebounds in six of her last eight games including a career-high 12 rebounds against Rider on Dec. 29. She is averaging 4.9 rebounds in that span.
• Henderson has posted six 10-point performances this season.
• Henderson scored 17 points against Virginia in her only action last season before suffering a season-ending injury in the contest.
no cough in second year for kaufman... Sophomore Jessie Kaufman ranks second on the team with 7.7 points per game.
• Kaufman notched a career-high 19 points against UMES on Nov. 15.
• She has scored at least nine points six times this season, including three 12-point performances
• The sophomore has six double-digit performances in her career.
no circus folk, just a carney... Freshman Jen Carney has played in the last eight games off the bench and has scored in five games this year.
• The freshman has scored in every game when she plays at least 10 minutes minutes.
• Carney has posted five points twice and a career-high six points in two of her last three games.
career highlights... Freshman Mariah Powell scored a career-high nine points against St. Francis (N.Y.) on Dec. 5.
• Junior Sydney Henderson scored a career-high 20 points against Towson on Nov. 22.
• Sophomore Rachel Mathews had a career-high 10 points versus American on Nov. 18.
• Sophomore Jessie Kaufman notched a career-best 19 points against UMES on Nov. 15.
• Sophomore Kelly Guerriero had a career-high 13 points against Bingamton on Nov. 11.
man oh mann, selina... Mount St. Mary's can pretty much count on getting five from junior Selina Mann every game. The only question is will it be five points, five rebounds, five assists or five steals.
• This season, Mann has posted at a five spot in two categories four times, three categories once and in four categories once this season.
• Mann has posted a five spot in one of those categories in 52 of the 67 games.
• The junior has posted a five spot in two of those categories 19 times, three times in three categories and three times in four different categories.
• She has scored five points 36 times in her career, including 17 two-digit performances and a career-high 26 at San Jose State on Dec. 29, 2010.
• The 5-4 guard has posted five rebounds 18 times in her career, including two 10-board performances.
• Mann has dished out five assists 16 times in her career including a career-high eight helpers against San Fransisco on Dec. 31, 2010 and against Towson on Nov. 22, 2011.
• The junior has registered five steals in a game seven times in her career, including tying a program record with 10 thefts against Sacred Heart on Jan. 24, 2011. She also has eight games of four steal to her credit.
• Mann leads the team with three double-doubles. She has two points-rebounds tricks and one points-steals. She is only the third player in Mount Division I history with a double-double that includes steals. The junior recorded 10 points and 10 rebounds against American on Nov. 18.
the need to dial long distance for 1-2-3... The NCAA changed the three-point line for the 2011-12 women's basketball season to 20 feet, nine inches, which is the same distance men's basketball has been using for several years.
• Last season, the Mount led the Northeast Conference in 3-point field goal percentage (.355) and had three players rank in the Top-10 in the category.
• The Mount is 77-for-243 this season from behind the arc, including 13-for-23 against Towson on Nov. 22. The 13 made 3-pointers tied a program record. The squad also hit 13 treys against North Carolina on Feb. 27, 1989.
• Junior Sydney Henderson leads the team with 19 baskets from behind the arc while sophomore Jessie Kaufman has 16.
in their collegiate debut... Freshman Mariah Powell was the lone freshman to make her collegiate debut in the season opener against Binghamton.
• Powell entered the game with 67 seconds left and registered her first career points on a pair of free throws with 52 seconds left and her first collegiate rebound with 19 ticks on the clock.
• Fellow freshmen Jen Carney and Melanie Mocniak made their collegiate debut after entering the game against Pittsburgh with 1:50 left on Nov. 29.
• Carney notched her first collegiate basket in the second half against Long Island on Dec. 3 and finished with a career-high five points.
would the real jessie kaufman please stand up... There are now to Jessica Kaufman's in the Northeast Conference.
• Sophomore Jessie Kaufman is in her second season at the Mount while freshman Jessica Kaufman joined the St. Francis (N.Y.) team this season.
a new year, a new start... In January, the Mount is 219-92 and 134-84 since switching to Division I.
• The Mountaineers are 69-33 at home and 65-42 on the road since switching to Division I.
• The Mount is 11-26 under head coach Bryan Whitten in the month.
• Mount St. Mary's is 6-12 at home and 5-14 on the road in the month under Whitten.
in the non-conference slate... Mount St. Mary's is 79-122 in non-conference games since joining the Northeast Conference in 1989-90.
rock the knott... Mount St. Mary's is 5-2 at Knott Arena this season.
• The Mount is 3-2 in non-conference play and 2-0 in league play in Emmitsburg.
• The squad has its first winning record at home in non-conference play since 2008-09 and the third since 1997-98. The Mountaineers had a winning non-league mark in the first 11 years of the building.
• Prior to the loss against Rider on Dec. 29, Mount St. Mary's won its first four games of the season at Knott Arena for the first time since the 1997-98 season.
• It marked only the fifth time the squad has opened up by winning its first four games at Knott Arena.
home sweet home... In its 25th season at Knott Arena, Mount St. Mary's has posted a 213-105 overall mark, including 72-44 in non-conference play and 141-61 in league play since moving across Route 15 from Memorial Gym.
hearing your name called at the start... Head coach Bryan Whitten has only had 19 players start in his four-year tenure at the Mount.
• Senior Sandra Andresson has started 89 of the 100 games she has played.
• Junior Sydney Henderson started 28 of the 39 games she has played, including 20-straight games she has played.
• Junior Tara Lonergan has started 13 games in her career.
• Sophomore Ashley Christie has started the first 42 games of her collegiate career.
• Sophomore Rachel Mathews started 10 games while Jessie Kaufman ha started nine games while fellow Kayla Grossett has started two contests.
preseason poll... The Mount St. Mary's women's basketball team has been picked 11th in the Northeast Conference (NEC) Preseason Coaches Poll. Five of the 12 teams in the league garnered first place votes with Saint Francis (Pa.) being tabbed the preseason favorite after picking up four first place nods. Robert Morris, Long Island, Monmouth and Sacred Heart each picked up two first place votes apiece. The Colonials and Blackbirds placed 2-3 in the poll while the Hawks and Pioneers finished tied for fourth. Quinnipiac, Fairleigh Dickinson, Bryant, Central Connecticut State, Wagner, Mount St. Mary's and St. Francis (N.Y.) rounded out the 12-team poll.
let's play to 60 points... Mount St. Mary's is most successful under head coach Bryan Whitten when it scores 60 points in a game or holds the opponent under that total.
• The Mount is 25-21 when it scores 60 points in a game, but 20-59 when it does not reach 60 points.
• Defensively, the Mountaineers are 36-27 when the opponents are held under 60 points and 9-57 when the opponent reaches 60 points.
three keys to whitten success... The Mount is most successful under head coach Bryan Whitten when the squad leads at halftime, in rebounding or keeps the opponent under 60 points.
• The Mount is 36-16 when he holds the lead at halftime, 2-3 when the game is tied, but just 8-65 when trailing at the break.
• The squad is 21-17 when it holds a rebounding edge in a game, but just 23-62 when the opponent has the advantage and 2-5 when the two teams have equal boards.
• Mount St. Mary's is 36-27 when it holds opponents under 60 points.
hitting 20 points in a game... Senior Sandra Andresson, juniors Sydney Henderson and Selina Mann and sophomore Ashley Christie are the only four players on the roster that has scored 20 points in a game.
• Henderson became the first player this season to reach 20 points when she scored a career-best 20 points against Towson on Nov. 22.
• Mann scored a career-high 26 points against San Jose State on Dec. 29, 2010.
• Christie posted a career-high 21 points against Fairleigh Dickinson on Feb. 5, 2011.
• Andresson registered a career-best 25 points against Monmouth on Feb. 7, 2011.
• The Mount has registered 25 20-point performances and two 30-point games under head coach Bryan Whitten. The squad is 13-12 when a player reaches 20 points and 2-0 when a player scores 30 in a contest.
players on the move... Senior Sandra Andresson ranks 43rd with 629 career points. She can move into 42nd place with 56 points.
• Junior Selina Mann has 409 points for her career to rank 62nd and can move into 61st place with nine points and 60th place with 26 points.
• Sophomore Ashley Christie has 371 points to rank 63rd in program history. The sophomore needs 29 points for 400 in her career.
• Junior Sydney Henderson has 280 career points to sit in 74th place. Henderson can move into 73rd place with two points, 71st place with 10 points and 70th place with 25 points.
• Sophomore Jessie Kaufman ranks 79th with 228 career points. She can move into 78th place with 11 points.
• Sophomore Kayla Grossett ranks 82nd with 210 points. She can move into 81st place with nine points, 80th place with 11 points and 79th place with 18 points.
• Junior Tara Lonergan ranks 84th with 202 points. She can move into 83rd place with two points, 82nd place with eight points and 81st place with 17 points.
• Sophomore Kelly Guerriero (133 points) will be the next players to crack the program's Top-100, needing 11 points.
new to the mountain... Head coach Bryan Whitten added four players to his 2011-12 team. Freshmen Jen Carney, Melanie Mocniak, Mariah Powell and Lindsay Williams all joined the team this season.
• Sophomore Jacqueline Brewer also joined the team, but will have to sit out this season due to NCAA transfer regulations. Brewer comes to the Mount after playing at Virginia Commonwealth last year.
northeast conference history... Prior to the last two seasons, the Mount had advanced to 20-straight NEC Tournaments.
• Mount St. Mary's is 17-17 in the NEC Tournament.
• The Mountaineers have not won a tournament game since a 50-45 win against Sacred Heart on Mar. 4, 2001.
• Mount St. Mary's won tournaments in 1992-93, 1993-94 and 1994-95, including earning the league's first two NCAA Division I bids.
the underlining whit... Head coach Bryan Whitten is in his fifth season at the Mount. The Mount is 46-84 overall under Whitten.
• The Mount is 26-36 overall at Knott Arena and 15-23 in NEC play under Whitten.
• The Mountaineers on the road are 22-47 overall mark away from Emmitsburg and 11-22 in league play.
• Whitten picked up his first Mount win with a 55-51 decision at Lafayette on Nov. 17, 2007 and earned his 25th career in at Lafayette on Nov. 30, 2009.
• Whitten earned his 250th win of his career against Quinnipiac on Jan. 30, 2010.
foreign flavor... Mount St. Mary's has two international players on the roster in 2011-12.
• Senior Sandra Andresson (Estonia) became the fourth international player in Emmitsburg and sophomore Kayla Grossett (Canada) became the fifth international player at the Mount.
• The trio follows Katie Walton (Canada, 1998-02), Dita Krumberga (Latvia, 2004-07), and Leah Westbrooks (Ireland, 2007-11.
out of africa... Former women's basketball player Leah Westbrooks was named the recipient of the Shooting Touch Inc. Sabbatical Program grant.
• Westbrooks received $25,000 to help with travel cost and expenses on her 10-month international independent study in South Africa and Zimbabwe. Westbrooks is currently in South Africa to work with the Hoops for Hope group and Western Zimbabwe with the Matilda Project.
• Check out this video of Westbrooks: http://www.nba.com/video/channels/nba_tv/2011/09/24/20110924_shooting_touch.nba