Washington, D.C. (February 17, 2018) - The Mount St. Mary's men's tennis team swept Howard 7-0 on Saturday afternoon.
The Mountaineers took the point from doubles competition by winning the second and third flights. The Mount duo of Jean Armstrong and Gabriel Santos topped Howard's Cole Gittens and Devaughn Blackburn 6-2 in the second flight to tie doubles action at a match a piece. Mount St. Mary's Parth Sharma and Evan Hine secured the doubles point for the Mountaineers by edging the Bison's Roger Lyn and Kyle Martin 6-4.
The Mount swept Howard in singles competition by winning all six flights. Senior, Brandon Wortkotter topped Shokeir in two sets 6-3, 6-3 in the first flight. Freshmen, Jackson Wood and Parth Sharma secured the second and third flights of singles with victories over the Bison's Lyn and Gittens. A pair of Mountaineer sophomores, Jean Armstrong and Gabriel Santos, won the fourth and fifth flights by defeating Howard's Blackburn and Martin in two sets each. This victory was Santos' first career victory on the Mount St. Mary's men's tennis team. Junior, Chris Lindsey toppled his opponent, Benjamin Tyus from Howard, 6-1, 6-2 to close out singles competition and secure the Mount with the 7-0 shutout.
Mount St. Mary's men's and women's tennis teams will travel to Lehigh for a dual match on Saturday February, 24 before heading to Orlando for the Spring break trip.
Mount St. Mary's 7, Howard 0
1. Karim Shokeir/Sagar Raju (Howard) def. Brandon Wortkotter/Jackson Wood (MSM) 7-6(5)
2. Jean Armstrong/Gabriel Santos (MSM) def. Cole Gittens/Devaughn Blackburn (Howard) 6-2
3. Parth Sharma/Evan Hine (MSM) def. Roger Lyn/Kyle Martin (Howard) 6-4
1. Brandon Wortkotter (MSM) def. Karim Shokeir (Howard) 6-3, 6-3
2. Jackson Wood (MSM) def. Roger Lyn (Howard) 7-5, Ret.
3. Parth Sharma (MSM) def. Cole Gittens (Howard) 6-4, 6-4
4. Jean Armstrong (MSM) def. Devaughn Blackburn (Howard) 6-3, 6-4
5. Gabriel Santos (MSM) def. Kyle Martin (Howard) 7-5, 7-6(3)
6. Chris Lindsey (MSM) def. Benjamin Tyus (Howard) 6-1, 6-2