Washington, D.C. (January 28, 2018) - Mount St. Mary's men's tennis edged by George Mason 4-3 on Sunday morning.
The Mountaineers and the Patriots battled back and forth in singles competition with the Mount taking the third, fourth, and first flights and George Mason taking the sixth, second, and fifth flights which made the match tied 3-3 heading into doubles competition. Freshman, Parth Sharma defeated Daniel Gutierrez at the number three flight in three sets (3-6, 6-1, 6-4) for the first point for the Mount. Sophomore, Jean Armstrong recorded the second point for Mount St. Mary's by topping Giuliano Buzoianu 6-1, 4-6, 6-2 in the fourth flight in singles action. Senior, Brandon Wortkotter defeated Pally Ray in three sets (7-6, 3-6, 6-0) in order to even everything up after singles competition.
The Mount won the second flight in doubles action but George Mason took the third flight and the first flight in order to barely squeak by the Mountaineers for the overall match victory. The Mount sophomore duo of Armstrong and Gabriel Santos topped the Patriots' duo of Jakob Nielson and Carter Bradford 6-2.
The men's next match is at Bryant on Sunday, February 4th at 5:00 PM.
George Mason 4, Mt. St. Mary's 3
1. Brandon Wortkotter (MSM) def. Pally Ray (MASON) 7-6 (8-6), 3-6, 6-0
2. Jakob Nielsen (MASON) def. Jackson Wood (MSM) 6-3, 6-7, 6-4
3. Parth Sharma (MSM) def. Daniel Gutierrez (MASON) 3-6, 6-1, 6-4
4. Jean Armstrong (MSM) def. Giuliano Buzoianu (MASON) 6-1, 4-6, 6-2
5. Isaiah Volk (MASON) def. Gabriel Santos (MSM) 7-6 (7-4), 3-6, 7-5
6. Carter Bradford (MASON) def. Chris Lindsey (MSM) 6-2, 6-3
1. Pally Ray/Daniel Gutierrez (MASON) def. Brandon Wortkotter/Jackson Wood (MSM) 7-5
2. Jean Armstrong/Gabriel Santos (MSM) def. Jakob Nielsen/Carter Bradford (MASON) 6-2
3. Ryan Charles/Giuliano Buzoianu (MASON) def. Parth Sharma/Evan Hine (MSM) 6-4
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3,1); Singles (6,3,2,4,5,1)